Hi Group, First off all thanks a lot for org-mode! I am trying to use it now for a couple of weeks, and it (Emacs AND org-mode) is really compelling:-) I've tried a lot from Outlook over Shadow-Plan and EccoPro. I'm using a mix of Linux and M$ XP, mainly XP at the time :-( *Goal*: - set up emacs as a portable app on a portable 2.5" drive (or USB stick for that matter) to run on windows - sync the org-mode files with a location on a server (GIT , is a directory sufficient, or does GIT need any installation on a linux box?) - sync the same org-mode files n a linux laptop - lastly, use the same USB drive org-mode files on a linux laptop. *Actions*: - tried to combine emacs with portable apps, but was unable to properly get this running (the .emacs location on the USB stick did not work out) - alternatively tried to combine emacs with pstart (http://www.pegtop.net/start/) -> this works best now, tried this on a couple different machines, inspite of the drive picking up different drive letters (G, K, etc) Pstart enables me to set the proper variable to point to my \\usbstick\home\emacs-23.1\.emacs file. *Questions*: - Is there any command line parameter to point emacs to a specific /dir/subdir/.emacs_2 file? This would allow me to experiment with various subsets of .emacs settings? - I realize emacs can be run in 'server - client' mode; is it possible to run emacs as a server on a windows box and remotely connect to this server from another windows box? - GIT; could anybody point out a good git tutorial to get this up and running on a mixed windows / linux platform? There's plenty of other questionmarks, but I don't want to overdo it and take it from here.. Thanks a lot for your help! Erwin