* org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels and tags-todo
@ 2009-06-26 17:01 Patrick Bahr
From: Patrick Bahr @ 2009-06-26 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello,

I use tags-todo searches in my custom agenda commands. Unfortunately, tags-todo
does not honour the org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels variable which I want to use
in order to ignore nested todo items. Is there a way to persuade tags-todo to do
this? I know that there is a variable org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options
which does this for org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date etc. It would be nice if
there is something similar to this for org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels. Even
better would be if this could be adjusted per individual tags-todo search. For
example for certain cases I do not want to see nested TODO items but I do want
to see nested WAITING items. With two tags-todo searches having different
behaviour on nested todo items this would be feasible.

Cheers,
Patrick

* Re: org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels and tags-todo
@ 2009-06-27 10:09 ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]   ` <4A460D69.8000304@arcor.de>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-27 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Bahr; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Jun 26, 2009, at 7:01 PM, Patrick Bahr wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use tags-todo searches in my custom agenda commands.
> Unfortunately, tags-todo
> does not honour the org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels variable which I
> want to use
> in order to ignore nested todo items. Is there a way to persuade
> tags-todo to do
> this? I know that there is a variable org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-
> ignore-options
> which does this for org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date etc. It would
> be nice if
> there is something similar to this for org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels.

You know, interesting that you bring this up.
Not showing sublevels is something from the early days of Org-mode.
For a simple tag search, this might have made some sense.  However,
I was afraid that TODO items could get missing when turning this
on, so when we do a tags search that should list TODO entries
only, Org assumes that this is really a TODO search and *forces*
listing sublevels.

First of all, for tag searches, there is a separate variable
org-tags-match-list-sublevels which must be used.
However, as I said, the value is currently overruled during
tags-todo searches.

> Even
> better would be if this could be adjusted per individual tags-todo
> search. For
> example for certain cases I do not want to see nested TODO items but
> I do want
> to see nested WAITING items. With two tags-todo searches having
> different
> behaviour on nested todo items this would be feasible.

I am now removing this restriction (hoping that no-one relies on
it), so setting the above variable should now work.

In fact I would urge you to *not* set it to nil globally, but to
*only* set it for specific searches, by using the options section
of the custom agenda command.  See Matt's excellent tutorial

   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php

for example on how to do this.

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: org-agenda-todo-list-sublevels and tags-todo
       [not found]     ` <B6055039-DC24-4837-9EF0-59F533B39B67@gmail.com>
@ 2009-06-28 11:49       ` Patrick Bahr
From: Patrick Bahr @ 2009-06-28 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello Carsten,

Carsten Dominik schrieb:

> Right, I made a mistake there, fixed now.

great, it works now. Thanks for your help!

> And you need to set a different variable, as I said in my earlier mail
>
> org-tags-match-list-sublevels

I missed that. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Patrick