* Inconsistent exporting of underscore character
@ 2009-06-27 13:01 Bob Kline
From: Bob Kline @ 2009-06-27 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I notice that when text containing an underscore (as happens frequently
with database table names) is exported as HTML, the exporter decides to
covert the rest of the word to a subscript.  I tried escaping the
underscore with a backslash, but then exporting to ASCII is broken, with
the backslash passed through as part of the text.

What's the correct way to escape the underscore so that the HTML
exporter doesn't garble the output, without mucking up ASCII export?  Or
is org-mode designed in such a way that users are expected to mark up
documents for one specific output (which would be a step backward)?

--
Bob Kline
http://www.rksystems.com

* Re: Inconsistent exporting of underscore character
@ 2009-06-27 14:46 ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2009-06-27 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Kline; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You can put an OPTIONS line in you file.

        #+OPTIONS ^:nil
        Turn off superscript/subscript

or, my prefered

       #+OPTIONS ^:{}
       Works for foo^{bar} & foo_{bar}
       but not foo^bar & foo_bar

This is in "12.3 Export options" of the org manual.

Edd

@ 2009-06-27 15:07   ` Bob Kline
From: Bob Kline @ 2009-06-27 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eddward DeVilla wrote:
> You can put an OPTIONS line in you file.
>
>         #+OPTIONS ^:nil
>         Turn off superscript/subscript
>
> or, my prefered
>
>        #+OPTIONS ^:{}
>        Works for foo^{bar} & foo_{bar}
>        but not foo^bar & foo_bar
>
> This is in "12.3 Export options" of the org manual.

Perfect!  I looked, but obviously not carefully enough (I think I was
too focused on looking for occurrences of the word 'underscore' and
didn't think outside the box as much as I should have).  Thanks!