emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* C-a and C-e in org-mode
@ 2009-01-28 21:58 Ken Harris
  2009-01-29 23:16 ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Ken Harris @ 2009-01-28 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello, org-mode!

I've been using org-mode recently, and overall it's pretty nice, but
one thing doesn't seem to work quite right.

I have org-special-ctrl-a/e set to nil (the default, I think).  I
think this means that C-e should work just like normal.
Unfortunately, C-u C-e fails with "Wrong type argument: integerp,
(4)".  If I use an explicit prefix (like C-u 4 C-e) it works fine.

It's been a while since I've written any Emacs Lisp, but I guess (4)
is the default prefix argument and end-of-line doesn't know how to
parse that when coming in as a normal arg.  This is probably an easy
fix (and maybe I'll write a patch later, if I have some spare time).

C-a seems to always go to the start-of-line, regardless of the prefix
argument (implicit or explicit).  That looks like a slightly deeper
problem.

Anyway, thanks for the neat mode!


- Ken

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: C-a and C-e in org-mode
  2009-01-28 21:58 C-a and C-e in org-mode Ken Harris
@ 2009-01-29 23:16 ` Carsten Dominik
  2009-02-03  1:46   ` Ken Harris
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-29 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


On Jan 28, 2009, at 10:58 PM, Ken Harris wrote:

> Hello, org-mode!
>
> I've been using org-mode recently, and overall it's pretty nice, but
> one thing doesn't seem to work quite right.
>
> I have org-special-ctrl-a/e set to nil (the default, I think).  I
> think this means that C-e should work just like normal.
> Unfortunately, C-u C-e fails with "Wrong type argument: integerp,
> (4)".  If I use an explicit prefix (like C-u 4 C-e) it works fine.
>
> It's been a while since I've written any Emacs Lisp, but I guess (4)
> is the default prefix argument and end-of-line doesn't know how to
> parse that when coming in as a normal arg.  This is probably an easy
> fix (and maybe I'll write a patch later, if I have some spare time).
>
> C-a seems to always go to the start-of-line, regardless of the prefix
> argument (implicit or explicit).  That looks like a slightly deeper
> problem.

Hmmm, why would you ever want to call thee commands with
a prefix argument?  That did not occur to me, which is why these
commands do not care about it.

If you explain it, maybe we can change it.

- Carsten

>
>
> Anyway, thanks for the neat mode!
>
>
> - Ken
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: C-a and C-e in org-mode
  2009-01-29 23:16 ` Carsten Dominik
@ 2009-02-03  1:46   ` Ken Harris
  2009-02-03 15:22     ` Carsten Dominik
                       ` (2 more replies)
  0 siblings, 3 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Ken Harris @ 2009-02-03  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

> Hmmm, why would you ever want to call thee commands with
> a prefix argument?  That did not occur to me, which is why these
> commands do not care about it.

Do you mean "what does it do"?  It goes down by that many lines first.

Do you mean "what's the practical value"?  I'm right-handed, so I
frequently move my right hand over to the mouse to test my program,
but my left hand always stays on the keyboard (what else would it
do?).  On my keyboard layout, I can hit all of C-u, C-a, C-e, C-p,
C-k, and C-y with my left hand, so I can a whole lot of simple
navigation editing without putting down the mouse (or mousing back
over to my emacs window).  If C-a and C-e can't use numeric prefixes,
I need twice as many hands to move the cursor down.  :-)

More generally, I have many years of experience with the emacs
keybindings.  A mode should have a really good reason to change the
built-ins.  (Steve Yegge's js2-mode also screws up some of these, but
has what are essentially unbreak-my-keybindings variables to let you
work around them.)  It looks like this is not a case of it being
intentional, but merely that nobody has gotten around to it yet.
That's fine, but I'm simply reporting that some of us would like this
fixed.  :-)


- Ken

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: C-a and C-e in org-mode
  2009-02-03  1:46   ` Ken Harris
@ 2009-02-03 15:22     ` Carsten Dominik
  2009-02-03 15:34     ` Dale Smith
  2009-02-15 21:09     ` Carsten Dominik
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-03 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ken,

my, maybe sightly arrogant, reaction was as it was because I have
never considered that calling these commands with a prefix would
be useful in an interactive way, given that other motion commands
like paragraph motion or simply pressing C-a several times
seemed so much more accurate and useful in such cases.

But of course, you are completely right that the standard
behavior should be fully in place if you do not configure the
relevant variables.  Just never occurred to me.

I will address this soon.

Thanks

- Carsten

On Feb 3, 2009, at 2:46 AM, Ken Harris wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
>> Hmmm, why would you ever want to call thee commands with
>> a prefix argument?  That did not occur to me, which is why these
>> commands do not care about it.
>
> Do you mean "what does it do"?  It goes down by that many lines first.
>
> Do you mean "what's the practical value"?  I'm right-handed, so I
> frequently move my right hand over to the mouse to test my program,
> but my left hand always stays on the keyboard (what else would it
> do?).  On my keyboard layout, I can hit all of C-u, C-a, C-e, C-p,
> C-k, and C-y with my left hand, so I can a whole lot of simple
> navigation editing without putting down the mouse (or mousing back
> over to my emacs window).  If C-a and C-e can't use numeric prefixes,
> I need twice as many hands to move the cursor down.  :-)
>
> More generally, I have many years of experience with the emacs
> keybindings.  A mode should have a really good reason to change the
> built-ins.  (Steve Yegge's js2-mode also screws up some of these, but
> has what are essentially unbreak-my-keybindings variables to let you
> work around them.)  It looks like this is not a case of it being
> intentional, but merely that nobody has gotten around to it yet.
> That's fine, but I'm simply reporting that some of us would like this
> fixed.  :-)
>
>
> - Ken

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: C-a and C-e in org-mode
  2009-02-03  1:46   ` Ken Harris
  2009-02-03 15:22     ` Carsten Dominik
@ 2009-02-03 15:34     ` Dale Smith
  2009-02-03 15:40       ` Manish
  2009-02-15 21:09     ` Carsten Dominik
  2 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Dale Smith @ 2009-02-03 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ken Harris <kengruven@gmail.com> writes:

> On my keyboard layout, I can hit all of C-u, C-a, C-e, C-p,
> C-k, and C-y with my left hand, so I can a whole lot of simple
> navigation editing without putting down the mouse (or mousing back
> over to my emacs window).

Wow.  Big hands!

-Dlae
-- 
Dale P. Smith
dales@vxitech.com
216-447-4059 x2018
216-447-8951 FAX

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Re: C-a and C-e in org-mode
  2009-02-03 15:34     ` Dale Smith
@ 2009-02-03 15:40       ` Manish
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Manish @ 2009-02-03 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dale Smith; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ken Harris

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Dale Smith wrote:
> Ken Harris <kengruven@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On my keyboard layout
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> , I can hit all of C-u, C-a, C-e, C-p, C-k, and C-y with my left
>> hand, so I can a whole lot of simple navigation editing without
>> putting down the mouse (or mousing back over to my emacs window).
>
> Wow. Big hands!

It's possible on Dvorak. :)

http://www.flashcardcommunity.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/dvorak.jpg

-- 
Manish

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: C-a and C-e in org-mode
  2009-02-03  1:46   ` Ken Harris
  2009-02-03 15:22     ` Carsten Dominik
  2009-02-03 15:34     ` Dale Smith
@ 2009-02-15 21:09     ` Carsten Dominik
  2 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-15 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ken,

this is working now correctly in the git version.

If there are no problems with the change, I will try to get them
as bug fixes into Emacs 23, in a few days.

Thanks for the report.

- Carsten

On Feb 3, 2009, at 2:46 AM, Ken Harris wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
>> Hmmm, why would you ever want to call thee commands with
>> a prefix argument?  That did not occur to me, which is why these
>> commands do not care about it.
>
> Do you mean "what does it do"?  It goes down by that many lines first.
>
> Do you mean "what's the practical value"?  I'm right-handed, so I
> frequently move my right hand over to the mouse to test my program,
> but my left hand always stays on the keyboard (what else would it
> do?).  On my keyboard layout, I can hit all of C-u, C-a, C-e, C-p,
> C-k, and C-y with my left hand, so I can a whole lot of simple
> navigation editing without putting down the mouse (or mousing back
> over to my emacs window).  If C-a and C-e can't use numeric prefixes,
> I need twice as many hands to move the cursor down.  :-)
>
> More generally, I have many years of experience with the emacs
> keybindings.  A mode should have a really good reason to change the
> built-ins.  (Steve Yegge's js2-mode also screws up some of these, but
> has what are essentially unbreak-my-keybindings variables to let you
> work around them.)  It looks like this is not a case of it being
> intentional, but merely that nobody has gotten around to it yet.
> That's fine, but I'm simply reporting that some of us would like this
> fixed.  :-)
>
>
> - Ken

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2009-02-15 21:09 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2009-01-28 21:58 C-a and C-e in org-mode Ken Harris
2009-01-29 23:16 ` Carsten Dominik
2009-02-03  1:46   ` Ken Harris
2009-02-03 15:22     ` Carsten Dominik
2009-02-03 15:34     ` Dale Smith
2009-02-03 15:40       ` Manish
2009-02-15 21:09     ` Carsten Dominik

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).