Hi Alan, your arguments make sense, and I have implemented this. To have separate values, set org-special-ctrl-a/e to a cons cell with the setting for C-a in the car and the setting for C-e in the cdr. - Carsten On Feb 22, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Alan E. Davis wrote: > I have found the behavior of the cursor at the beginning of the line > to be clumsy, and troublesome. I cannot easily set a region, for > example. > > However, the special setting of ctrl-e is extremely useful. > > A single variable controls these two variables, in a unified way. > This variable also has two aliases. The aliases are not recognized > by the functions that are affected by these variables in org.el: org- > beginning-of-line, and org-end-of-line. As far as I can see, there > seems no reason to keep these two aliased variables as references to > a single unified variable, insofar as the underlying code is > concerned. > > Because, at least for me, the behaviors have sufficiently distinct > behaviors, I propose these should be separated. > > I am unable to code lisp to the level of skill necessary to do the > work myself. At some point, I would be willing to work on this as a > "first off" hack. I cannot do so at present due to work obligations. > > Alan > > -- > Alan Davis > > It is undesirable to believe a proposition when > there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true. > ---- Bertrand Russell > They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can > see nothing but sea. > ---- Sir Francis Bacon > > _______________________________________________ > Emacs-orgmode mailing list > Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode