* ical export
@ 2008-06-22 18:38 Cooke Karen
From: Cooke Karen @ 2008-06-22 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm interested in using the ical export functionality to get todos and
appointments onto my new mobile phone.  Todos are appearing in the
todo list as I've set org-icalendar-include-todo, however I'd like for
the todo's with a deadline associated with them to have the due date
set (eg DUE;VALUE=DATE:20080623) and not appear as an appointment as
they do at the moment.     I've worked out the function where all this
happens is org-print-icalendar-entries but my lisp skills are none
existent so any pointers or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Karen

* Re: ical export
@ 2008-06-23  7:11 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-06-23  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cooke Karen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 22, 2008, at 8:38 PM, Cooke Karen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in using the ical export functionality to get todos
> and appointments onto my new mobile phone.  Todos are appearing in
> the todo list as I've set org-icalendar-include-todo, however I'd
> like for the todo's with a deadline associated with them to have the
> due date set (eg DUE;VALUE=DATE:20080623) and not appear as an
> appointment as they do at the moment.     I've worked out the
> function where all this happens is org-print-icalendar-entries but
> my lisp skills are none existent so any pointers or assistance would
> be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Karen

Hi Karen,

I think you are completely right that the export implementation of
deadlines does now
not do the right thing for TODO entries.  I think that for entries
that are not a TODO,
exporting a deadline as an event makes actually sense.  Not so for
TODO entries.

I have just pushed a new version to the GIT repo that does the
following.  Thanks for
sharing your thoughts.

HTH

- Carsten

------------------------8
 ><---------------------------------8><------------------

Changes in iCalendar export
---------------------------
     Deadline and scheduling time stamps are now treated
     differently in iCalendar export.  The default behavior is now
     the following:

     - a DEADLINE that appears in an entry that is a TODO item is
       used as the item's DUE date.  Therefore, such a deadline
       will no longer show up in the calendar.

     - a DEADLINE that appears in an item that is *not* a TODO
       item is exported as an EVENT and will show up in the
       calendar.

     - a SCHEDULED timestamp in a TODO item will be used as the
       items DTSTART.  Therefore, such a timestamp will not show
       up in the calendar.

     - a SCHEDULED timestamp in an item that is not a TODO has no
       effect on iCalendar export at all.  It will be ignored.

     Of course this would not be Emacs if you could not configure
     exactly what you want.  Take a look at the variables
     `org-icalendar-use-deadlines' and
     `org-icalendar-use-deadlines' if you want to go back to the
     old behavior or even do something completely different.

* ical export
@ 2009-04-25 20:00 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-25 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hi Carsten and org peoples,

 I have an entry of the form:

,----
| ** Pub Quiz 				       :quiz:
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :ID:       1ckjv5g0vle0
|    :END:
| <2008-03-25 21:30 +1w>
|    - Note taken on [2008-08-26 Tue 09:59] \\
|      do questions!
`----

Which correctly appears weekly at 21:30 on a tuesday in my org agenda.

Its appearing in my Google calendar but without the time however. The
relevant part of the org-ics says:

,----
| BEGIN:VEVENT
| UID: TS-1ckjv5g0vle0
| DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20080325
| DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20080326
| RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;INTERVAL=1
| SUMMARY:Pub Quiz 				       :quiz:
| CATEGORIES:quiz,shamrock
| END:VEVENT
`----

Have I specified this wrong? Or is this a bug? Or are my settings for
export not set properly?

(I'm exporting a complete combined ics file from org)

thanks,

r.

* Re: ical export
@ 2009-04-25 20:42 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-04-25 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

No day?

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death and severe suffering
worse than MS.  Greed is corrupting science into foul nonsense.  Anybody can

* Re: ical export
@ 2009-04-25 21:17   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-25 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: org-mode, Richard Riley

> No day?
>
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 13:00, Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> <2008-03-25 21:30 +1w>

I'm not sure I follow you.

You snipped where I mentioned it appears fine and in the correct place
in my org-agenda. What day?

* Re: ical export
@ 2009-04-25 21:18     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-04-25 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

My dates all have day of week.

--

@ 2009-04-25 23:16       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-25 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: org-mode, Richard Riley

> My dates all have day of week.
>
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 14:17, Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> No day?

>> I'm not sure I follow you.
>>
>> You snipped where I mentioned it appears fine and in the correct place
>> in my org-agenda. What day?

If we look at two entries, one which shows the time, and another (the
repeated task) which doesnt:

,----
| ** Pub Quiz 				       :quiz:
|    SCHEDULED:<2008-03-25 Tue 21:30 +1w>
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :ID:       1ckjv5g0vle0
|    :END:
`----

gives the following export:

,----
| BEGIN:VEVENT
| UID: SC-1ckjv5g0vle0
| DTSTART:20080325T213000
| DTEND:20080325T233000
| RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;INTERVAL=1
| SUMMARY:S: Pub Quiz 				       :quiz:
| CATEGORIES:quiz,shamrock
| END:VEVENT
`----

This one DOES show the time in Google calendar:

,----
| ** TODO test google sync
|    SCHEDULED:<2009-04-26 Sun 19:30>
|    :PROPERTIES:
|    :Entered: [2009-04-25 Sat 18:54]
|    :Link:
|    :ID:       pqekt5g0vle0
|    :END:
`----

and its export is:

,----
| BEGIN:VEVENT
| UID: SC-pqekt5g0vle0
| DTSTART:20090426T193000
| DTEND:20090426T213000
| SUMMARY:S: TODO test google sync
| CATEGORIES:Tasks
| END:VEVENT
`----

Possibly its an error in the export for repeated tasks. I'll try and
look into it some more on monday. But if this stuff works it's another
feather in the bow for org-mode courtesy of the work done on ical export
and Google calendars ability to import ical and have sync engines for
most popular HW.

cheers,

r.