* iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-04-25 20:51 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-25 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

My ics file exported from org has the following content:

X-WR-TIMEZONE:CEST

However, in Google calendar, it says the imported calendar is

	(GMT+00:00) GMT (no daylight saving)

A quick Google for ical and timezone makes me believe the format might
need to be

X-WR-TIMEZONE:Europe/Berlin

and a quick test confirmed this. I don't have a clue if this is emacs
side or more in org's remit, but hope this helps.

regards

r.

* Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-06 10:57 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-06 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

On Apr 25, 2009, at 10:51 PM, Richard Riley wrote:

> My ics file exported from org has the following content:
>
> X-WR-TIMEZONE:CEST
>
> However, in Google calendar, it says the imported calendar is
>
> 	(GMT+00:00) GMT (no daylight saving)
>

> A quick Google for ical and timezone makes me believe the format might
> need to be
>
> X-WR-TIMEZONE:Europe/Berlin
>
> and a quick test confirmed this. I don't have a clue if this is emacs
> side or more in org's remit, but hope this helps.

The only time zone information I get from Emacs is the abbreviation.
Does anyone know how to concert this into the longer form?

- Carsten

* Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-06 13:42   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-05-06 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode, Richard Riley

> On Apr 25, 2009, at 10:51 PM, Richard Riley wrote:
>

>> My ics file exported from org has the following content:
>>
>> X-WR-TIMEZONE:CEST
>>
>> However, in Google calendar, it says the imported calendar is
>>
>> 	(GMT+00:00) GMT (no daylight saving)
>>

>> A quick Google for ical and timezone makes me believe the format might
>> need to be
>>
>> X-WR-TIMEZONE:Europe/Berlin
>>
>> and a quick test confirmed this. I don't have a clue if this is emacs
>> side or more in org's remit, but hope this helps.
>
> The only time zone information I get from Emacs is the abbreviation.
> Does anyone know how to concert this into the longer form?
>
> - Carsten

I asked in the emacs irc and drew a blank. Possibly use what you do
unless an org-timezone string is set for now?

Seeing my org-mode todos on my blackberry courtesy of Google calendar is
pretty neat!

cheers,

@ 2009-05-06 13:50     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-06 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

On May 6, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Richard Riley wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Apr 25, 2009, at 10:51 PM, Richard Riley wrote:
>>

>>> My ics file exported from org has the following content:
>>>
>>> X-WR-TIMEZONE:CEST
>>>
>>> However, in Google calendar, it says the imported calendar is
>>>
>>> 	(GMT+00:00) GMT (no daylight saving)
>>>

>>> A quick Google for ical and timezone makes me believe the format
>>> might
>>> need to be
>>>
>>> X-WR-TIMEZONE:Europe/Berlin
>>>
>>> and a quick test confirmed this. I don't have a clue if this is
>>> emacs
>>> side or more in org's remit, but hope this helps.
>>
>> The only time zone information I get from Emacs is the abbreviation.
>> Does anyone know how to concert this into the longer form?
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> I asked in the emacs irc and drew a blank. Possibly use what you do
> unless an org-timezone string is set for now?

this makes sense.

For now the variable is org-ical-timezone, maybe
later it will be aliased to org-timezone.

Available now.

- Carsten

* Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-07  4:44     ` Mario E. Munich
From: Mario E. Munich @ 2009-05-07  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I asked in the emacs irc and drew a blank. Possibly use what you do
> unless an org-timezone string is set for now?
>
> Seeing my org-mode todos on my blackberry courtesy of Google calendar is
> pretty neat!
>
> cheers,
>
> r.

Dear Richard,

looking at org TODO's via Google calendar is quite sweet! I am going to sound
completely naive in front of all the hard-core org users, but would it be
possible that you describe your setup/workflow in order to get to see the org
TODO's in the Google calendar? I have a Google G1 phone with Android, so I would
really like to connect the phone to my org workspace.

Thanks a lot!

-Mario

* Re: Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-07 15:08       ` Richard Riley
       [not found]         ` <71454fac0905070813laabf50bg4cb5285b3c48085c@mail.gmail.com>
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-05-07 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario E. Munich; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Mario E. Munich <mariomu@ieee.org> writes:

>> I asked in the emacs irc and drew a blank. Possibly use what you do
>> unless an org-timezone string is set for now?
>>
>> Seeing my org-mode todos on my blackberry courtesy of Google calendar is
>> pretty neat!
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> r.
>>

> Dear Richard,
>
> looking at org TODO's via Google calendar is quite sweet! I am going to sound
> completely naive in front of all the hard-core org users, but would it be
> possible that you describe your setup/workflow in order to get to see the org
> TODO's in the Google calendar? I have a Google G1 phone with Android, so I would
> really like to connect the phone to my org workspace.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> -Mario

You need to firstly export your org mode files to iCal format.

For me thats (in an org file) C-c C-e (org-export) and then selecting
"c" to export to an ical file.

This creates (it would be nice to have a variable) ~/org.ics

What I then do is regularly move to my my web server using scp and cron
but you can do that however you like if you have your own web
server. Else I believe there are other sites which allow you to host
iCal files.

Then in Google, go to calendar and in the bottom left you see which
calendars are imported to your main Google calendar. Add has an option
to add by url. Voila!

On my blackberry I then run gsync  and using the rather nice iBerry
Today theme I see a preview of messages and relevant iCal entries on the
homepage.

With latest git version export to iCal is broken for me but I believe
Carsten is addressing it.

HTH,

regards

r.

* Re: Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-07 15:23         ` Nick Dokos
       [not found]         ` <71454fac0905070813laabf50bg4cb5285b3c48085c@mail.gmail.com>
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-05-07 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: Mario E. Munich, emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:

> You need to firstly export your org mode files to iCal format.
>
> For me thats (in an org file) C-c C-e (org-export) and then selecting
> "c" to export to an ical file.
>
> This creates (it would be nice to have a variable) ~/org.ics

There *is* a variable:

org-combined-agenda-icalendar-file

HTH,
Nick

,----
| org-combined-agenda-icalendar-file is a variable defined in `org-icalendar.el'.
| Its value is "~/org.ics"
|
| Documentation:
| The file name for the iCalendar file covering all agenda files.
| This file is created with the command M-x org-export-icalendar-all-agenda-files.
| The file name should be absolute, the file will be overwritten without warning.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

* Re: Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-07 15:49           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-05-07 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Mario E. Munich, emacs-orgmode, Richard Riley

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> You need to firstly export your org mode files to iCal format.
>>
>> For me thats (in an org file) C-c C-e (org-export) and then selecting
>> "c" to export to an ical file.
>>
>> This creates (it would be nice to have a variable) ~/org.ics
>>

> There *is* a variable:
>
> org-combined-agenda-icalendar-file
>
> HTH,
> Nick

Great, I missed that. I must learn to use apropos more. I had just
kooked at things in the org-icalendar-* space.

thanks,

r.

@ 2009-05-07 16:59       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-05-07 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode, Richard Riley

> On May 6, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Richard Riley wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:

>>> The only time zone information I get from Emacs is the abbreviation.
>>> Does anyone know how to concert this into the longer form?
>>>
>>> - Carsten
>>>

>> I asked in the emacs irc and drew a blank. Possibly use what you do
>> unless an org-timezone string is set for now?
>

> this makes sense.
>
> For now the variable is org-ical-timezone, maybe
> later it will be aliased to org-timezone.
>
> Available now.
>
> - Carsten

tested, works. As does the fix on the export. Thanks.

* Re: Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
       [not found]           ` <4a0302c6.0637560a.215f.1158@mx.google.com>
@ 2009-05-07 17:06             ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-05-07 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

> Greg Newman <greg@20seven.org> writes:
>
>> There is also an uploader in the Google Calendar settings.
>
> I believe the url is the best route though since it will (actually, must
> check that) re-read it.

Well, surprisingly, it does NOT automatically update from the URL currently. From the
noise here

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Calendar/thread?tid=3fad85f47a70864b&hl=en

I suspect it will soon though or its a fairly useless feature.

@ 2009-05-07 17:45         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-05-07 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> I asked in the emacs irc and drew a blank. Possibly use what you do
> >> unless an org-timezone string is set for now?
> >

> > this makes sense.
> >
> > For now the variable is org-ical-timezone, maybe
> > later it will be aliased to org-timezone.
> >
> > Available now.
> >
> > - Carsten
> >

> tested, works. As does the fix on the export. Thanks.

It might be a good idea to initialize the variable from the TZ
environment variable (if that is set). That way, one could add

    export TZ
    TZ=Europe/Amsterdam

e.g., in the appropriate login shell initialization file and get the
correct behavior with the system date as well as with org-icalendar.

I find the timezone stuff very confusing in general, but I have the
(perhaps incorrect) impression that people actually use the TZ env
variable sometimes, although I guess that Linux distros in general try
to automagically do the right thing at installation time by copying the
appropriate tzfile into /etc/localtime, so you don't have to worry about
TZ; but if you are switching between timezones or want to override the
default, TZ does work:

   export TZ=US/Eastern
   date
   export TZ=US/Pacific
   date
   export TZ=Europe/Berlin
   date

works as expected (this is on Ubuntu 8.04 - BTW, the tzfiles are in
/usr/share/zoneinfo on this distro.)

Nick

* Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-08  7:18           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-08  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: org-mode, Richard Riley

On May 7, 2009, at 7:45 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> this makes sense.
>>>
>>> For now the variable is org-ical-timezone, maybe
>>> later it will be aliased to org-timezone.
>>>
>>> Available now.
>>>
>>> - Carsten
>>>

>> tested, works. As does the fix on the export. Thanks.
>>

> It might be a good idea to initialize the variable from the TZ
> environment variable (if that is set). That way, one could add
>
>    export TZ
>    TZ=Europe/Amsterdam
>
> e.g., in the appropriate login shell initialization file and get the
> correct behavior with the system date as well as with org-icalendar.

OK, good idea, done.

Note however that Org does store time and date without
time zone information attached to it, so changing the TZ environment
variable will not change the display in the agenda etc.

- Carsten

> I find the timezone stuff very confusing in general, but I have the
> (perhaps incorrect) impression that people actually use the TZ env
> variable sometimes, although I guess that Linux distros in general try
> to automagically do the right thing at installation time by copying
> the
> appropriate tzfile into /etc/localtime, so you don't have to worry
> about
> TZ; but if you are switching between timezones or want to override the
> default, TZ does work:
>
>   export TZ=US/Eastern
>   date
>   export TZ=US/Pacific
>   date
>   export TZ=Europe/Berlin
>   date
>
> works as expected (this is on Ubuntu 8.04 - BTW, the tzfiles are in
> /usr/share/zoneinfo on this distro.)
>
> Nick

* Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-08 15:02             ` Richard Riley
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-05-08 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode, Richard Riley

> On May 7, 2009, at 7:45 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> tested, works. As does the fix on the export. Thanks.
>>>

>> It might be a good idea to initialize the variable from the TZ
>> environment variable (if that is set). That way, one could add
>>
>>    export TZ
>>    TZ=Europe/Amsterdam
>>
>> e.g., in the appropriate login shell initialization file and get the
>> correct behavior with the system date as well as with org-icalendar.
>

> OK, good idea, done.
>
> Note however that Org does store time and date without
> time zone information attached to it, so changing the TZ environment
> variable will not change the display in the agenda etc.

Where is the best place to set this TZ in a Linux environment so that
emacs picks it up on a gnome desktop?

I tried in my .xinitrc and my .bashrc and my /etc/bash.bashrc and it
didn't seem to pick up for the export correctly.

* Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-08 15:09               ` Karsten Heymann
From: Karsten Heymann @ 2009-05-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hi,

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
> Where is the best place to set this TZ in a Linux environment so that
> emacs picks it up on a gnome desktop?
>
> I tried in my .xinitrc and my .bashrc and my /etc/bash.bashrc and it
> didn't seem to pick up for the export correctly.

.xinitrc or .xsession would be my choice too. Of cource you have to make
sure that those files are actually used, usually you have to choose
"custom session" or similiar in the gdm login screen.

Yours
Karsten

* Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-08 15:11               ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-05-08 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

* Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-08 15:27               ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-05-08 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

[Sorry about the fat-fingered empty response earlier.]

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >>    export TZ
> >>    TZ=Europe/Amsterdam
> >>
> >> e.g., in the appropriate login shell initialization file and get the
> >> correct behavior with the system date as well as with org-icalendar.
>
> I tried in my .xinitrc and my .bashrc and my /etc/bash.bashrc and it
> didn't seem to pick up for the export correctly.

For my Ubuntu 8.04/Gnome setup, putting it in ~/.profile works. But it
depends on how your distro organizes the initialization of the desktop.
There is a reasonable writeup (again about Ubuntu) here:

     http://linuxgazette.net/161/okopnik.html

It has to be part of the environment of whatever process starts your
emacs (probably gnome-session), so it has to be set in an initialization
file that gnome-session reads. The reason that ~/.profile works in Ubuntu
is that gnome-session reads /etc/gdm/Xsession which includes the following:

,----
| # First read /etc/profile and .profile
| test -f /etc/profile && . /etc/profile
| test -f "$HOME/.profile" && . "$HOME/.profile"
| # Second read /etc/xprofile and .xprofile for X specific setup
| test -f /etc/xprofile && . /etc/xprofile
| test -f "$HOME/.xprofile" && . "$HOME/.xprofile"
`----

HTH,
Nick

* Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-08 15:49                 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-05-08 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: org-mode, Richard Riley

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> [Sorry about the fat-fingered empty response earlier.]

>> I tried in my .xinitrc and my .bashrc and my /etc/bash.bashrc and it
>> didn't seem to pick up for the export correctly.
>>

> For my Ubuntu 8.04/Gnome setup, putting it in ~/.profile works. But it
> depends on how your distro organizes the initialization of the desktop.
> There is a reasonable writeup (again about Ubuntu) here:
>
>      http://linuxgazette.net/161/okopnik.html
>
> It has to be part of the environment of whatever process starts your
> emacs (probably gnome-session), so it has to be set in an initialization
> file that gnome-session reads. The reason that ~/.profile works in Ubuntu
> is that gnome-session reads /etc/gdm/Xsession which includes the
> following:

It's a tad more complicated in my case since although I use gdm, I don't
use gnome-session as I use xmonad as my WM but with various gnome
utilities such as gnome-taskbar.

Think I'll stick with the iCalendar setting to be sure.

Thanks for the link though.

@ 2009-05-08 15:51                 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-05-08 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karsten Heymann; +Cc: org-mode

Karsten Heymann <karsten.heymann@blue-cable.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>> Where is the best place to set this TZ in a Linux environment so that
>> emacs picks it up on a gnome desktop?
>>
>> I tried in my .xinitrc and my .bashrc and my /etc/bash.bashrc and it
>> didn't seem to pick up for the export correctly.
>
> .xinitrc or .xsession would be my choice too. Of cource you have to make
> sure that those files are actually used, usually you have to choose
> "custom session" or similiar in the gdm login screen.
>
> Yours
> Karsten

My xinitrc is my launch point for xmonad so I know it was used. But the
TZ value was not picked up in emacs after Carsten's push. So if anyone
else can check it works it would confirm its me in error.

* Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-08 16:15 Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-05-08 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:

> It's a tad more complicated in my case since although I use gdm, I don't
> use gnome-session as I use xmonad as my WM but with various gnome
> utilities such as gnome-taskbar.

I may have misspoken about gnome-session: the article I pointed you to
seems to say that it's gdm that reads /etc/gdm/Xsession.

> Think I'll stick with the iCalendar setting to be sure.

Yeah, probably safest.

> Thanks for the link though.

You are welcome!

Nick

* Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-08 16:37 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-05-08 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: org-mode, Richard Riley

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's a tad more complicated in my case since although I use gdm, I don't
>> use gnome-session as I use xmonad as my WM but with various gnome
>> utilities such as gnome-taskbar.
>>

> I may have misspoken about gnome-session: the article I pointed you to
> seems to say that it's gdm that reads /etc/gdm/Xsession.

Which is still not a good place to put it since if you change your login
manager to, say, wdm bang goes your TZ.

@ 2009-05-08 20:13   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-05-08 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: org-mode

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> It's a tad more complicated in my case since although I use gdm, I don't
> >> use gnome-session as I use xmonad as my WM but with various gnome
> >> utilities such as gnome-taskbar.
> >>

> > I may have misspoken about gnome-session: the article I pointed you to
> > seems to say that it's gdm that reads /etc/gdm/Xsession.
>
> Which is still not a good place to put it since if you change your login
> manager to, say, wdm bang goes your TZ.

I certainly was not suggesting putting the TZ definition in a system file:
it belongs in a personal file (e.g. ~/.profile in my case).  I was just
correcting a (possible) misstatement in my earlier post.

The question is: is there a personal file that can be used for this purpose,
no matter *how* one starts his or her desktop environment?  I suspect that
the answer is "no", but there might be a best practice: one or two or perhaps a
handful of possibilities for different methods of desktop initialization.

Nick

* Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-08 21:15     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-05-08 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: org-mode, Richard Riley

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> The question is: is there a personal file that can be used for this purpose,
> no matter *how* one starts his or her desktop environment?  I suspect that
> the answer is "no", but there might be a best practice: one or two or perhaps a
> handful of possibilities for different methods of desktop initialization.

Assuming that /etc/X11/Xsession is actually more general than just Ubuntu,
then there does seem to be a single place where things like environment variable
definitions can be picked up: ~/.xsessionrc.

First, at the top of /etc/X11/Xsession it says:

# global Xsession file -- used by display managers and xinit (startx)

[ But, forewarned is forearmed - the man page for Xsession (worth
reading in its entirety for all the caveats) says:

       /etc/X11/Xsession is a Bourne shell (sh(1)) script which is run
       when an X Window System ses‐ sion is begun by startx(1x) or a
       display manager such as xdm(1x).  (Some display managers only
       invoke Xsession when specifically directed to so by the user; see
       the documentation for your display manager to find out more.)

]

Second, it defines (among other things)

SYSSESSIONDIR=/etc/X11/Xsession.d
USERXSESSION=$HOME/.xsession
USERXSESSIONRC=$HOME/.xsessionrc

Third, it sources all the files in $SYSSESSIONDIR:

SESSIONFILES=$(run-parts --list $SYSSESSIONDIR)
if [ -n "$SESSIONFILES" ]; then
  set +e
  for SESSIONFILE in $SESSIONFILES; do
    . $SESSIONFILE
  done
  set -e
fi

Fourth, one of the files in /etc/X11/Xsession.d is  40x11-common_xsessionrc
which reads in its entirety:

# This file is sourced by Xsession(5), not executed.

#Source user defined xsessionrc (locales and other environment variables)
if [ -r "$USERXSESSIONRC" ]; then
  . "$USERXSESSIONRC"
fi

So it seems that ~/.xsessionrc is sourced very early in the desktop
initialization and might serve as a universal provider of e.g. environment
variables.

Nick

* Re: Re: iCal export - possible timezone bug
@ 2009-05-17 12:31               ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-05-17 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Greg Newman <greg@20seven.org> writes:
>>
>>> There is also an uploader in the Google Calendar settings.
>>
>> I believe the url is the best route though since it will (actually, must
>> check that) re-read it.
>>

> Well, surprisingly, it does NOT automatically update from the URL currently. From the
> noise here
>
> http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Calendar/thread?tid=3fad85f47a70864b&hl=en
>
> I suspect it will soon though or its a fairly useless feature.
>
> regards
>
> r.

Bingo - it's now updating.

So now I have a regular publish of my org agenda to an ics file which is
then routinely scp'd over to my web server via cron and is now
automatically picked up by the automatic run of googlesync on my
Blackberry. Org reminders etc now on the home screen of my phone :-)