* Changing multiple dates en masse
@ 2009-04-09 22:03 Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2009-04-09 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode emacs-orgmode

I teach a weekly class and have a number of tasks that
go into preparing for the class.  I have an org file set
up with these tasks.

Occasionally I have to put off a class for a week.  That
means all the following classes and their sub-tasks must
also be moved by a week.  So far, I have had to expand the
entire tree and visit each task in turn and use the S-right
on each date to get the rescheduled time correct.

Is there a way to select a region and have org-mode add an
offset to each task (specifically the deadlines) in the
region?

Alternatively, is there a way of specifying my tasks such that
I can say that Task A is to take place 1w after Task B, or Task
C must take place 4d before Task D?

Mark

* Re: Changing multiple dates en masse
@ 2009-04-10  8:40 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-10  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Elston; +Cc: org-mode emacs-orgmode

Hi Mark,

there is nothing like that built-in.

However, here is how I would do this:

I am assuming that each of the classes has a SCHEDULED date, maybe
you created the list of entries with `org-clone-subtree-with-timeshift'.
I am also assuming that these are children from some parent like

* Course
** Lecture 1
    SCHEDULED <..>
** Lecture 2
    SCHEDULED <..>

etc.

I would:

1. put the cursor on the "Course" headline.
2. Press `C-c C-x <' to restrict agenda commands to that tree
3. Press `C-c a L' to get the time line view
4. Move the cursor to the first entry that should be shifted,
    maybe "Lecture 5"
5. Press `C-x (' to start a keyboard macro.
6. Press `7 S-right' to shift the date.
7. Move the cursor down to the next lecture (still
    all the time in the agenda)
8. Press `C-x )' to end the keyboard macro
9. Press `C-x e' to execute the keyboard macro
    for the next entry, etc etc
10. Press `C-c C-x >' to remove the agenda restriction

Org-mode is running in Emacs, don't forget that the full
power of Emacs is available in addition to what Org-mode
can do.

HTH

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-12  1:30   ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2009-04-12  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> there is nothing like that built-in.
>
> However, here is how I would do this:
>
> I am assuming that each of the classes has a SCHEDULED date, maybe
> you created the list of entries with `org-clone-subtree-with-timeshift'.
> I am also assuming that these are children from some parent like
>
> * Course
> ** Lecture 1
>    SCHEDULED <..>
> ** Lecture 2
>    SCHEDULED <..>
>

> etc.
>
> I would:
>
> 1. put the cursor on the "Course" headline.
> 2. Press `C-c C-x <' to restrict agenda commands to that tree
> 3. Press `C-c a L' to get the time line view
> 4. Move the cursor to the first entry that should be shifted,
>    maybe "Lecture 5"
> 5. Press `C-x (' to start a keyboard macro.
> 6. Press `7 S-right' to shift the date.
> 7. Move the cursor down to the next lecture (still
>    all the time in the agenda)
> 8. Press `C-x )' to end the keyboard macro
> 9. Press `C-x e' to execute the keyboard macro
>    for the next entry, etc etc
> 10. Press `C-c C-x >' to remove the agenda restriction

Barring a way of doing this in a single operation this is
really pretty cool.  I had not explored the 'interactive' uses
of the agenda views and this particular operation was something
I was unaware of.  Adding the power of a macro to it is even better.

Thanks.

Mark