From: Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info>
To: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Archiving and not archiving...
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:32:29 -0500	[thread overview]

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2009, at 9:56 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:
>
>> [My apologies in advance if this is a FAQ.]
>>
>> I have a bunch of Org files in which I have tasks some of which involve
>> doing something for work (trivial or non-trivial), and some of which
>> involve doing something for home (trivial like picking up laundry or
>> more important like doing a call to a company that needs to be logged).
>>
>> My question has to do with archiving.  I archive my tasks to separate
>> archive files.  What I'd really like to be able to do is to identify
>> some tasks as being worth archiving (calling a company to request them
>> to fix a billing error, for example), and some of which are not (picking
>> up the dry cleaning, returning library books).
>>
>> Does anyone have a technique for marking tasks so that they get
>> electively archived when one uses one of the archiving commands?
>
> Hmm, this really seems to make sense only if you are using a command
> that scans the buffer for DONE tasks and archives all of them.  Is that
> what you do?

I typically have all of my tasks in a top-level headline, * Tasks, and
then use the subtree archiving command.  That is really equivalent to
what you say here --- it scans the buffer and (prompting me for
agreement) archives all of the tasks.

> One possibility is to give tasks their own ARCHIVE property which could
> point to a garbage file for boring tasks.

Right, or (I think) I could have one archive file, with two top-level
items,

* Interesting Tasks
and
* Boring Tasks

and selectively archive to one or the other.

Probably this is too much trouble, since it would bloat up each of the
individual tasks.

Alternatively, in the org file that contains all my chores, I could have
a top-level "chores" headline, in addition to my top-level tasks
headline, I could put ARCHIVE properties on each one, and have two
different remember templates, one for routine chores and one for more
interesting tasks....

> I myself archive everything.  I don't care how big the archive gets
> because I only need to look at it if I need to find something back.  Who
> cares how big this file is.

Possibly that's the right answer.  I was just concerned that I might
want something back and not be able to get it because it was surrounded
with a bunch of "pick up laundry" tasks...

Thank you very much for your advice,
Robert