* Feature request: preserving plain list line breaks in exporting
@ 2009-03-10 17:47 Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2009-03-10 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Suppose I have a plain list as the following:

* TODO Read books
  1. [ ] Book 1
         Note: blah blah blah
  2. [ ] Book 2
         Note: blah blah blah

When the above is exported to HTML, the line breaks after the "heading
line" of each list item are lost, so it becomes "Book1 Note: blah blah
blah", which does not look very nice to me. I know I can keep the line
breaks by inserting a blank line, like this:

* TODO Read books
  1. [ ] Book 1

         Note: blah blah blah
  2. [ ] Book 2

         Note: blah blah blah

Well, this will fix the export, but the text above looks ugly now,
especially when the "Note" part is very short.

Can we add some kind of option to control whether the line break after
the first line of a plain list item should be preserved in exporting? Or
maybe we can assume the line breaks should be preserved when
"org-cycle-include-plain-lists" is set to "t", since in that case we are
treating the plain list item kind of like a heading.

Note setting "org-export-preserve-breaks" does not meet my needs, since
that will preserve ALL breaks.

Thanks for giving the above a thought.

Wanrong

* Re: Feature request: preserving plain list line breaks in exporting
@ 2009-03-10 18:13 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-10 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Try:

* TODO Read books
  1. [ ] Book 1 \\
         Note: blah blah blah
  2. [ ] Book 2 \\
         Note: blah blah blah

Or even:

* TODO Read books
  1. [ ] Book 1 ::
         Note: blah blah blah
  2. [ ] Book 2 ::
         Note: blah blah blah

 plus CSS

Regards,

  Sebastian

Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi,
>
> Suppose I have a plain list as the following:
>
> * TODO Read books
>  1. [ ] Book 1
>         Note: blah blah blah
>  2. [ ] Book 2
>         Note: blah blah blah
>
> When the above is exported to HTML, the line breaks after the "heading line" of
> each list item are lost, so it becomes "Book1 Note: blah blah blah", which does
> not look very nice to me. I know I can keep the line breaks by inserting a blank
> line, like this:
>
> * TODO Read books
>  1. [ ] Book 1
>
>         Note: blah blah blah
>  2. [ ] Book 2
>
>         Note: blah blah blah
>
> Well, this will fix the export, but the text above looks ugly now, especially
> when the "Note" part is very short.
>
> Can we add some kind of option to control whether the line break after the first
> line of a plain list item should be preserved in exporting? Or maybe we can
> assume the line breaks should be preserved when "org-cycle-include-plain-lists"
> is set to "t", since in that case we are treating the plain list item kind of
> like a heading.
>
> Note setting "org-export-preserve-breaks" does not meet my needs, since that
> will preserve ALL breaks.
>
> Thanks for giving the above a thought.
>
> Wanrong

Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Email: s.rose@emma-stil.de, sebastian_rose@gmx.de
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* Re: Feature request: preserving plain list line breaks in exporting
@ 2009-03-10 18:49   ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2009-03-10 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The double back slashes works well (although that is not as pretty as I
want). Thank you!

Wanrong

@ 2009-03-10 19:40     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-10 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Wanrong Lin <wanrong.lin@gmail.com> writes:
> The double back slashes works well (although that is not as pretty as I
> want). Thank you!

For better controle of line height and paddings, I'd suggest to use the
`::' syntax and CSS for the <dt> and <dd> elements.

dd {font-weight:bold;margin-top:3em;}
dt {....}

Best,

   Sebastian

@ 2009-03-10 21:02       ` Wanrong Lin
From: Wanrong Lin @ 2009-03-10 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks. But "::"" does not as well as "\\" for numbered list (the
numbers are gone with "::").

Actually, when I say "it is not as pretty as I want" in my last email, I
meant the original ".org" text file is not pretty with either "\\" or
"::" just for adding a line break for exporting. So ideally, I still
prefer a configuration option to control the line break preservation.

Wanrong

@ 2009-03-12  2:07         ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2009-03-12  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wanrong Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Does anyone know how to get something like \\ or :: to preserve line
breaks in the org file when using M-q to re format a list item?  I
don't care so much about the export.

Edd