From: Mark Elston <m.elston@advantest-ard.com>
To: Org Mode List <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Automatic Update of Org files
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:03:38 -0800	[thread overview]

Its amazing what you can do with this package!

I have weekly meetings I attend where we take a look at
different sources of status information.  We have an action
item list in an Excel file, an issue tracking list in Test
Track (from Seapine Software) and a project schedule in
Microsoft Project.

I decided I didn't like looking in three (or sometimes more)
different files to collect the tasks I (and my group) had coming
up so I wrote a Perl script to query those sources and write
the results into different Org files.

It all works great and now C-c a a reads these files and
prints any upcoming deadlines from these tasks in my
agenda.  What a terrific way to keep track of assigned
tasks.

There is a drawback, however.  Once these files are created
I would like to add notes to them and have these notes persist.
Unfortunately, right now I don't have any way of doing this
as these files get overwritten when I run my Perl script again.

So, does anyone have any ideas about how to go about a task
like this?  Is there some way to, for example, write information
to a 'temporary' Org file and "merge" the info?  I would not want
to write this in Perl and I don't know elisp well enough to try
anything like this that way either.

Perhaps I am looking for too much.  But I have gotten spoiled with
such a great package.

Mark