emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* Using SCHEDULED to indicate task start date
@ 2009-01-26 16:45 Nick Bell
  2009-01-26 21:17 ` Bernt Hansen
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Nick Bell @ 2009-01-26 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs org-mode list

Dear org-mode users and developers,

[Using 6.17 here.]

SCHEDULED nicely hides TODOs from agenda views until on/after the 
SCHEDULED date.

I'd like to hide TODOs whose SCHEDULED date is in the future from the 
global todo list (C-c a t) .

'Org Agenda Todo Ignore Scheduled' option hides all scheduled TODOs, 
including those whose scheduled date is in the past, so won't work for me.

In other words, I'd like to use SCHEDULED function as a kind of 'start 
date' for a TODO, before which it won't appear on agenda or global todo 
lists. Is this possible?

Many thanks

Nick
-- 
Nick Bell
mail@nickbell.org

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Using SCHEDULED to indicate task start date
  2009-01-26 16:45 Using SCHEDULED to indicate task start date Nick Bell
@ 2009-01-26 21:17 ` Bernt Hansen
  2009-01-26 22:47   ` Nick Bell
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-01-26 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Bell; +Cc: Emacs org-mode list

Nick Bell <mail@nickbell.org> writes:

> [Using 6.17 here.]
>
> SCHEDULED nicely hides TODOs from agenda views until on/after the
> SCHEDULED date.
>
> I'd like to hide TODOs whose SCHEDULED date is in the future from the
> global todo list (C-c a t) .
>
> 'Org Agenda Todo Ignore Scheduled' option hides all scheduled TODOs,
> including those whose scheduled date is in the past, so won't work for
> me.
>
> In other words, I'd like to use SCHEDULED function as a kind of 'start
> date' for a TODO, before which it won't appear on agenda or global
> todo lists. Is this possible?
>

No, the reason for using any of

   org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled
   org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines
   org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date

is to get those tasks off the global todo list.  They show up in your
agenda at the appropriate time and you don't need them in the global
todo list at all.

I work off my agenda first, and when that's clear then I go to the
global todo list for other tasks - and I don't want to see anything that
has a date there - since they're already set up to show up at the
appropriate time on my agenda.

You might be able to set up a column view that shows the
scheduled/deadline date and then ignore tasks with dates in the past but
I've never tried that.

HTH,
Bernt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Using SCHEDULED to indicate task start date
  2009-01-26 21:17 ` Bernt Hansen
@ 2009-01-26 22:47   ` Nick Bell
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Nick Bell @ 2009-01-26 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Emacs org-mode list

Bernt Hansen wrote:
> No, the reason for using any of
> 
>    org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled
>    org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines
>    org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date
> 
> is to get those tasks off the global todo list.  They show up in your
> agenda at the appropriate time and you don't need them in the global
> todo list at all.
> 
> I work off my agenda first, and when that's clear then I go to the
> global todo list for other tasks - and I don't want to see anything that
> has a date there - since they're already set up to show up at the
> appropriate time on my agenda.
> 
> You might be able to set up a column view that shows the
> scheduled/deadline date and then ignore tasks with dates in the past but
> I've never tried that.
> 
> HTH,
> Bernt

Thanks, that was helpful - I was overcomplicating things.


Nick

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: Using SCHEDULED to indicate task start date
  2009-01-27  2:03 ` Robert Goldman
@ 2009-01-27 13:55   ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 5+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-27 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


On Jan 27, 2009, at 3:03 AM, Robert Goldman wrote:

>
>> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:45:03 +0000
>> From: Nick Bell <mail@nickbell.org>
>> Subject: [Orgmode] Using SCHEDULED to indicate task start date
>> To: Emacs org-mode list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
>> Message-ID: <497DE88F.4040105@nickbell.org>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>>
>> Dear org-mode users and developers,
>>
>> [Using 6.17 here.]
>>
>> SCHEDULED nicely hides TODOs from agenda views until on/after the
>> SCHEDULED date.
>>
>> I'd like to hide TODOs whose SCHEDULED date is in the future from the
>> global todo list (C-c a t) .

You can do a tags-todo search (`C-c a M') and then use something like

-SCHEDULED>"<today>"

which will exclude entries that are scheduled in the future.

- Carsten

>>
>>
>> 'Org Agenda Todo Ignore Scheduled' option hides all scheduled TODOs,
>> including those whose scheduled date is in the past, so won't work  
>> for me.
>>
>> In other words, I'd like to use SCHEDULED function as a kind of  
>> 'start
>> date' for a TODO, before which it won't appear on agenda or global  
>> todo
>> lists. Is this possible?
>>
>
> I would actually suggest that it would be better to put in some form  
> of
> NOTBEFORE (better name anyone?) that would do the hiding, instead of
> (mis) using SCHEDULED for this purpose.  I looked into the org-mode  
> code
> and it's very nicely structured so that it should not be hard to add
> this.  I have been meaning to get around to it myself, but haven't  
> been
> able to take time away from what I'm paid to do for this "recreational
> programming" yet....
>
>
> best,
> r
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Using SCHEDULED to indicate task start date
       [not found] <E1LRaAx-0004sF-U0@box188.bluehost.com>
@ 2009-01-27  2:03 ` Robert Goldman
  2009-01-27 13:55   ` Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 5+ messages in thread
From: Robert Goldman @ 2009-01-27  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:45:03 +0000
> From: Nick Bell <mail@nickbell.org>
> Subject: [Orgmode] Using SCHEDULED to indicate task start date
> To: Emacs org-mode list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
> Message-ID: <497DE88F.4040105@nickbell.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> 
> Dear org-mode users and developers,
> 
> [Using 6.17 here.]
> 
> SCHEDULED nicely hides TODOs from agenda views until on/after the 
> SCHEDULED date.
> 
> I'd like to hide TODOs whose SCHEDULED date is in the future from the 
> global todo list (C-c a t) .
> 
> 'Org Agenda Todo Ignore Scheduled' option hides all scheduled TODOs, 
> including those whose scheduled date is in the past, so won't work for me.
> 
> In other words, I'd like to use SCHEDULED function as a kind of 'start 
> date' for a TODO, before which it won't appear on agenda or global todo 
> lists. Is this possible?
> 

I would actually suggest that it would be better to put in some form of
NOTBEFORE (better name anyone?) that would do the hiding, instead of
(mis) using SCHEDULED for this purpose.  I looked into the org-mode code
and it's very nicely structured so that it should not be hard to add
this.  I have been meaning to get around to it myself, but haven't been
able to take time away from what I'm paid to do for this "recreational
programming" yet....


best,
r

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2009-01-27 13:55 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 5+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2009-01-26 16:45 Using SCHEDULED to indicate task start date Nick Bell
2009-01-26 21:17 ` Bernt Hansen
2009-01-26 22:47   ` Nick Bell
     [not found] <E1LRaAx-0004sF-U0@box188.bluehost.com>
2009-01-27  2:03 ` Robert Goldman
2009-01-27 13:55   ` Carsten Dominik

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).