* Problem with org-remember
@ 2009-01-19 20:13 Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2009-01-19 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hi,

I am having trouble getting org-remember to work.  I have
(require 'org) with several other org related settings in my
.emacs but when I try M-x org-remember on a TODO item (or anywhere
else) I get:

   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Autoloading failed to define
function org-remember")
     signal(error ("Autoloading failed to define function org-remember"))
     error("%s" "Autoloading failed to define function org-remember")
     (condition-case act-on-choice (let (...) (setq
icicle-candidate-action-fn nil) (funcall ... cmd-choice)) (quit
(icicle-try-switch-buffer orig-buff) nil) (error
(icicle-try-switch-buffer orig-buff) nil (error "%s" ...)))
     (let* ((orig-buff ...) (orig-window ...) (use-file-dialog nil)
(last-command last-command) new-last-cmd (icicle-candidate-action-fn
...)) nil (condition-case act-on-choice (let ... ... ...) (quit ... nil)
(error ... nil ...)) (setq this-command new-last-cmd))
     icicle-execute-extended-command()
     call-interactively(icicle-execute-extended-command)

If I don't load the icicle package I get roughly the same error:

   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Autoloading failed to define
function org-remember")
     execute-extended-command(nil)
     call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

If I load-library org-remember then I can call the function without
error but it doesn't populate the buffer with anything and if I enter
some text and type C-cC-c I get an error about a nonexistent region.

Any ideas?

Emacs 22.3.1
Windows XP
org-mode 6.17c

Mark

* Re: Problem with org-remember
@ 2009-01-19 20:22 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-01-19 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: m.elston; +Cc: Org Mode List

Mark Elston <m.elston@advantest-ard.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble getting org-remember to work.  I have
> (require 'org) with several other org related settings in my
> .emacs but when I try M-x org-remember on a TODO item (or anywhere
> else) I get:
>

> Emacs 22.3.1
> Windows XP
> org-mode 6.17c

Does replacing

     (require 'org)

with

     (require 'org-install)

help?

* Re: Problem with org-remember
@ 2009-01-19 20:32   ` Mark Elston
       [not found]     ` <9099.1232399183@alphaville.usa.hp.com>
From: Mark Elston @ 2009-01-19 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org Mode List

Nick,

It helps with the first problem, the autoload problem.  I didn't see
this in the manual anywhere.

However, while it brings up a *Remember* window it doesn't populate
it with any of the templates I have set up (basically I copied what was
in the texinfo doc).  And when I write something in it and hit
C-cC-c I get an error:

   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "The mark is not set now, so
there is no region")
   call-interactively(comment-region)

This is not what I expected from the docs.

Mark

@ 2009-01-19 21:19       ` Mark Elston
       [not found]         ` <9717.1232400732@alphaville.usa.hp.com>
From: Mark Elston @ 2009-01-19 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org Mode List

Nick,

I got it working.  As I was looking at my .emacs I noticed that I
had commented out the line:

   (org-remember-insinuate)

Once I uncommented this line it worked as expected.  I see that
this function does largely what yours does.

And, yes, I see the mention of org-install in sec 1.2.
I had a mixture of docs I was working with originally and
missed that line in the new docs...

Mark

@ 2009-01-19 22:09           ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2009-01-19 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org Mode List

Nick,

I'm always glad to be of service ... :)

Thanks for helping me track this all down.

Mark

* Nick Dokos wrote (on 1/19/2009 1:32 PM):
> Mark Elston <m.elston@advantest-ard.com> wrote:
>
>> I got it working.  As I was looking at my .emacs I noticed that I
>> had commented out the line:
>>
>>   (org-remember-insinuate)
>>
>> Once I uncommented this line it worked as expected.  I see that
>> this function does largely what yours does.
>>

> Nice! I can now simplify my setup as well: I didn't know about
> org-remember-insinuate.

* problem with org-remember
@ 2010-03-06  2:40 Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2010-03-06  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

Today I stumbled over a strange problem, to which I did not found a
solution.  I am using Emacs 23 on Mac OS X and on Ubuntu (9.10) with a
nearly identical setup (thanks Dropbox!).
On the Mac machines, remembering with org-remember works wonderful and
makes me happy; but on the Ubuntu side, I am running in an error
"wrong-number-of arguments", which can be traced to the following call
(org-remember-mode 1) in this form:

	;; Turn on org-mode in the remember buffer, set local variables
	(let ((org-inhibit-startup t)) (org-mode) (org-remember-mode 1))
	(if (and file (string-match "\\S-" file) (not (file-directory-p file)))
	    (org-set-local 'org-default-notes-file file))
---
  (this starts on line 543 in the current version of this morning)

The call itself looks unsuspicious to my inexperienced I and I have
now idea why Emacs would complain about it in Ubuntu and not in Mac
(there is a very slight difference of about two weeks between
compiling them), so I really have no idea what went wrong and how to
fix it.

As always, any help appreciated,

Christian
--
Christian Wittern, Kyoto

* Re: problem with org-remember
@ 2010-03-06 10:34 ` Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2010-03-06 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Replying to myself here, Mr Google told me that this seems to be a bug
in my Emacs version.  Recompiling a more recent pretest made the
problem go away.  Sorry for the noise and happy orging,

Christian

--
Christian Wittern, Kyoto