* elisp code location?
@ 2009-01-19 16:13 David St-Hilaire
From: David St-Hilaire @ 2009-01-19 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all!

I am new to the org-mode, but its been very helpfull so far :). I was
wondering though, where should I put the elisp code that is sometime
required?

For example, when creating a project I have to set the
org-publish-project-alist variable, but where that setq should be?
I've put it in my ~/.emacs, but I am sure that there must be a better
alternative :). Can it be somehow put directly in the org file?

Thank you!

David

* Re: elisp code location?
@ 2009-01-19 16:49 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-01-19 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David St-Hilaire; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 9:43 PM, David St-Hilaire wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I am new to the org-mode, but its been very helpfull so far :). I was
> wondering though, where should I put the elisp code that is sometime
> required?
>
> For example, when creating a project I have to set the
> org-publish-project-alist variable, but where that setq should be?
> I've put it in my ~/.emacs, but I am sure that there must be a better
> alternative :). Can it be somehow put directly in the org file?

Some of the publishing options can be kept in the org file itself but
some others would need to defined as part of org-publish-project-alist
itself only.  Is there a reason why you do not wish to keep the settings
in .emacs file?

--
Manish

* Re: elisp code location?
@ 2009-01-19 18:03   ` David St-Hilaire
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: David St-Hilaire @ 2009-01-19 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Manish wrote:
> Some of the publishing options can be kept in the org file itself but
> some others would need to defined as part of org-publish-project-alist
> itself only.  Is there a reason why you do not wish to keep the settings
> in .emacs file?

No reason, I was just trying to understand how to publishing system
works. I couldn't make it work so far. I now have setup my project
alist in my .emacs file (and reloaded my .emacs) and when I try to
publish my project, nothing happens...

Here is what I added to my .emacs:

(setq org-publish-project-alist
      '(("plan"
         :base-directory "/home/dave/projet/maitrise/memoire"
         :publishing-directory "/home/dave/projet/maitrise/memoire/html"
         :section-numbers nil
         :table-of-contents t
         :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html)))

A strange thing I noticed is that when I use M-x and type org-publish
then press tab, I only get:

Possible completions are:
org-publish                        org-publish-all
org-publish-current-file           org-publish-current-project
org-publish-initialize-files-alist
org-publish-project

and thus org-publish-org-to-html doesn't seem to be there... I
installed org-mode throuhg gentoo emerge and am at the version 6.05b,
is this version too old to use publishing?

Thank you very much for your help!

David

* Re: elisp code location?
@ 2009-01-19 18:08     ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2009-01-19 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David St-Hilaire; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I can't say if 6.05 is too old for publishing, but I can say that you
probably won't regret the upgrade.  The versions since then add a lot
of nice new things.  And it's is pretty easy to keep up to date on
Linux with the shell script linked to on the orgmode homepage.  It
takes a few minutes to figure out where you want to put everything,
but after that a single command has you in every new version.

Scot

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 6:03 PM, David St-Hilaire
<sthilaid@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Manish wrote:
>> Some of the publishing options can be kept in the org file itself but
>> some others would need to defined as part of org-publish-project-alist
>> itself only.  Is there a reason why you do not wish to keep the settings
>> in .emacs file?
>
> No reason, I was just trying to understand how to publishing system
> works. I couldn't make it work so far. I now have setup my project
> alist in my .emacs file (and reloaded my .emacs) and when I try to
> publish my project, nothing happens...
>
> Here is what I added to my .emacs:
>
> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>      '(("plan"
>         :base-directory "/home/dave/projet/maitrise/memoire"
>         :publishing-directory "/home/dave/projet/maitrise/memoire/html"
>         :section-numbers nil
>         :table-of-contents t
>         :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html)))
>
> A strange thing I noticed is that when I use M-x and type org-publish
> then press tab, I only get:
>
> Possible completions are:
> org-publish                        org-publish-all
> org-publish-current-file           org-publish-current-project
> org-publish-initialize-files-alist
> org-publish-project
>
> and thus org-publish-org-to-html doesn't seem to be there... I
> installed org-mode throuhg gentoo emerge and am at the version 6.05b,
> is this version too old to use publishing?
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> David

* Re: elisp code location?
@ 2009-01-19 18:20     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-01-19 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David St-Hilaire; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:33 PM, David St-Hilaire wrote:
> Manish wrote:
>> Some of the publishing options can be kept in the org file itself but
>> some others would need to defined as part of org-publish-project-alist
>> itself only. Is there a reason why you do not wish to keep the settings
>> in .emacs file?
>
> No reason, I was just trying to understand how to publishing system
> works. I couldn't make it work so far. I now have setup my project
> alist in my .emacs file (and reloaded my .emacs) and when I try to
> publish my project, nothing happens...
>
> Here is what I added to my .emacs:
>
> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>   '(("plan"
>     :base-directory "/home/dave/projet/maitrise/memoire"
>     :publishing-directory "/home/dave/projet/maitrise/memoire/html"
>     :section-numbers nil
>     :table-of-contents t
>     :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html)))
>
> A strange thing I noticed is that when I use M-x and type org-publish
> then press tab, I only get:
>
> Possible completions are:
> org-publish            org-publish-all
> org-publish-current-file      org-publish-current-project
> org-publish-initialize-files-alist
> org-publish-project

org-publish-org-to-html is not an interactive function hence not
available with M-x.  You only need to execute org-publish (or C-c C-e X)
and publish "plan".

> and thus org-publish-org-to-html doesn't seem to be there... I
> installed org-mode throuhg gentoo emerge and am at the version 6.05b,
> is this version too old to use publishing?

Can't say.. but new features/fixes keep happening in Org at such a pace
that it's worth staying as close to the cutting edge as possible.  As
Scot mentioned it's super easy to upgrade either using the shell-script
or by just using the git version itself (see FAQ for details.)

--
Manish

* Re: elisp code location?
@ 2009-01-19 18:22     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-01-19 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David St-Hilaire; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi David,

David St-Hilaire <sthilaid@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> No reason, I was just trying to understand how to publishing system
> works. I couldn't make it work so far. I now have setup my project
> alist in my .emacs file (and reloaded my .emacs) and when I try to
> publish my project, nothing happens...

When precisely does nothing happen? After you call org-publish?

> Here is what I added to my .emacs:
>
> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>       '(("plan"
>          :base-directory "/home/dave/projet/maitrise/memoire"
>          :publishing-directory "/home/dave/projet/maitrise/memoire/html"
>          :section-numbers nil
>          :table-of-contents t
>          :publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html)))
>
> A strange thing I noticed is that when I use M-x and type org-publish
> then press tab, I only get:
>
> Possible completions are:
> org-publish                        org-publish-all
> org-publish-current-file           org-publish-current-project
> org-publish-initialize-files-alist
> org-publish-project

You've set org-publish-to-html in your org-publish-project-alist, so
that means that it will be the publishing function for the project
"plan". So when you call org-publish with one of the functions above, it
should publish the project "plan" to html in the publishing-directory
you've specified.

You might want to add the line

:base-extension "org"

to your publishing alist, though I'm not sure whether that's absolutely
necessary.

- Matt

* Re: elisp code location?
@ 2009-01-19 19:02       ` David St-Hilaire