* Symmetric encryption with org-crypt.el?
@ 2008-10-06  9:43 Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2008-10-06  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is it possible to use a symmetric cipher with org-crypt.el?  I'd really
like to encrypt certain outlines and encode/decode them on several
machines without worrying about managing public/private keys.

I can see how using public key crypto might be benefecial when sharing
files between several parties, but for the case where a single user
simply wants to synchronise org files between various machines (and
never store/transmit sensitive data unencrypted) then a symmetric cipher
seems preferable due to its lower overhead.

Has anyone done this?

R.

* Re: Symmetric encryption with org-crypt.el?
@ 2008-10-06 16:59 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-06 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 6, 2008, at 11:43 AM, Rick Moynihan wrote:

> Is it possible to use a symmetric cipher with org-crypt.el?  I'd
> really like to encrypt certain outlines and encode/decode them on
> several machines without worrying about managing public/private keys.
>
> I can see how using public key crypto might be benefecial when
> sharing files between several parties, but for the case where a
> single user simply wants to synchronise org files between various
> machines (and never store/transmit sensitive data unencrypted) then
> a symmetric cipher seems preferable due to its lower overhead.
>
> Has anyone done this?

Not that I know o, but I think, starting with org-crypt this should be
relatively straight forward.

There must be someone else around here who can take on this task, right?

- Carsten

* Re: Symmetric encryption with org-crypt.el?
@ 2008-10-10 21:13 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-10 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rick,

I don't think anyone has done this, but I would certainly welcome
someone taking up org-crypt.el, adding different options like you
suggest.  I'd be happy to work out the UI, but I do not know anything
about encryption or Emacs packages supporting it.

- Carsten

@ 2008-10-13 11:08   ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2008-10-13 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> I don't think anyone has done this, but I would certainly welcome
> someone taking up org-crypt.el, adding different options like you
> suggest.  I'd be happy to work out the UI, but I do not know anything
> about encryption or Emacs packages supporting it.
>
> - Carsten

Thanks Carsten, I know a tiny bit about encryption, but I'm no guru.  I
took a quick look at easypg which org-crypt appears to use, and being a
frontend to GnuPG it seems to support the use of symetric keys.

I'm convinced that it should be a trivial job, but I'm not familiar
enough with any of the packages to know precisely what needs done.

If I find some more time, in the next few weeks, I might take another look.

R.