* Why not emacs -Q for byte-compiling org-mode in the Makefile
@ 2009-05-03 19:29 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-05-03 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

is there a specific reason that the Makefile uses emacs -q and not emacs
-Q for byte-compiling org-mode?

I use a lot of elisp addons, so loading the site-lisp files takes quite
some time and some packages like CEDET even print messages while loading
and obfuscate the compile output.  I changed the Makefile to use -Q
instead of -q which omits loading of site-lisp files, and it still
compiles fine but much faster.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck Norris likes his ice like he likes his skulls: crushed.

* Re: Why not emacs -Q for byte-compiling org-mode in the Makefile
@ 2009-05-03 19:52 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-03 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 3, 2009, at 9:29 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> is there a specific reason that the Makefile uses emacs -q and not
> emacs
> -Q for byte-compiling org-mode?

Hi Tassilo,

this is a good idea, but -Q is not understood by XEmacs, and I
am not even sure about Emacs 22.

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-04 12:17   ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2009-05-04 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

At Sun, 3 May 2009 21:52:05 +0200,
Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On May 3, 2009, at 9:29 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> > is there a specific reason that the Makefile uses emacs -q and not
> > emacs
> > -Q for byte-compiling org-mode?
>
> this is a good idea, but -Q is not understood by XEmacs, and I
> am not even sure about Emacs 22.

at least for Emacs 22, it works.  XEmacs apparently has
"-no-site-file" as equivalent to "--no-site-init", so it would be
possible to do something similar. Of course then you have switches
depending on Emacs family, and I could see that being too much
trouble.

David

* Re: Why not emacs -Q for byte-compiling org-mode in the Makefile
@ 2009-05-04 14:08     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-04 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

On May 4, 2009, at 2:17 PM, David Bremner wrote:

> At Sun, 3 May 2009 21:52:05 +0200,
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> On May 3, 2009, at 9:29 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:
>>> is there a specific reason that the Makefile uses emacs -q and not
>>> emacs
>>> -Q for byte-compiling org-mode?
>>
>> this is a good idea, but -Q is not understood by XEmacs, and I
>> am not even sure about Emacs 22.
>
> at least for Emacs 22, it works.  XEmacs apparently has
> "-no-site-file" as equivalent to "--no-site-init", so it would be
> possible to do something similar. Of course then you have switches
> depending on Emacs family, and I could see that being too much
> trouble.

Yes, I prefer to just keep -q which is compatible.  Otherwise the
installation instructions will become more complicated.

- Carsten

* Re: Why not emacs -Q for byte-compiling org-mode in the Makefile
@ 2009-05-04 15:36     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-05-04 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> writes:

>> > is there a specific reason that the Makefile uses emacs -q and not
>> > emacs -Q for byte-compiling org-mode?
>>
>> this is a good idea, but -Q is not understood by XEmacs, and I am not
>> even sure about Emacs 22.
>
> at least for Emacs 22, it works.  XEmacs apparently has
> "-no-site-file" as equivalent to "--no-site-init", so it would be
> possible to do something similar.

Yeah, -Q is equivalent to -q --no-site-file, so the latter could be used
and still we're compatible with emacs 22/23 & xemacs.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
          "Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life."
                - David Kastrup in alt.religion.emacs -

* Re: Why not emacs -Q for byte-compiling org-mode in the Makefile
@ 2009-05-05  8:29       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-05  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, David Bremner

Done, thanks.

I am using -no-site-file instead of --no-site-file, this seems to
works best
with different Emacsen..

- Carsten