* Org-mode to PDA export
@ 2007-09-24  7:50 Cezar
From: Cezar @ 2007-09-24  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

  I've just ordered a new PDA that will come with (shitty) Windows
  Mobile 6 installed. I know there are many out there that would like to
  have a way to sync the PDA with Org-Mode.

  Is there any trick we can use to sync em both ways ?
  Some ideas that come to mind are : email and chop the email or some
  kind of web service that can sit on the laptop (web server).

  Any other ideas/sollutions are gladly welcome.

Regards,
Cezar

* Re: Org-mode to PDA export
@ 2007-09-24  8:58 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-24  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> writes:

>   I've just ordered a new PDA that will come with (shitty) Windows
>   Mobile 6 installed. I know there are many out there that would like
>   to have a way to sync the PDA with Org-Mode.

FYI, this has been discussed before on the list:

  http://search.gmane.org/?query=PDA&group=gmane.emacs.orgmode

--
Bastien

* Re: Org-mode to PDA export
@ 2007-09-24 11:01   ` Cezar
From: Cezar @ 2007-09-24 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> FYI, this has been discussed before on the list:

I know, I started the topic, but it didn't provide much info, and not on
this subject. It was refering toactually running org-mode on PDAs.

* Re: Org-mode to PDA export
@ 2007-09-24 16:18 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2007-09-24 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>   Is there any trick we can use to sync em both ways ?
>   Some ideas that come to mind are : email and chop the email or some
>   kind of web service that can sit on the laptop (web server).

I have an E61 (Symbian). I have given up any sort of automatic syncing.
However, I have a cron job that publishes my org files to html on my
local web server, so I can easily refer to it.

For longer trips away, I take my laptop and/or email my org file to my
phone. If I don't have access to a computer I find it easier to just
treat the org file as a reference and not try and edit it.

The third method I quite often use is to ssh into my server and edit
using emacs in a terminal. I usually carry a USB stick with things like
Putty, so if I can borrow someone else's computer I can still edit the
file on my server.

Does anyone know if it's possible to install emacs on a usb stick in a
way that it's possible to just plug into almost any Windows computer and
run  it?

Ian.

* Re: Org-mode to PDA export
@ 2007-09-24 16:33   ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2007-09-24 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 24/09/2007, Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> wrote:
> >   Is there any trick we can use to sync em both ways ?
> >   Some ideas that come to mind are : email and chop the email or some
> >   kind of web service that can sit on the laptop (web server).
> >

> I have an E61 (Symbian). I have given up any sort of automatic syncing.
> However, I have a cron job that publishes my org files to html on my
> local web server, so I can easily refer to it.
>
> For longer trips away, I take my laptop and/or email my org file to my
> phone. If I don't have access to a computer I find it easier to just
> treat the org file as a reference and not try and edit it.
>
> The third method I quite often use is to ssh into my server and edit
> using emacs in a terminal. I usually carry a USB stick with things like
> Putty, so if I can borrow someone else's computer I can still edit the
> file on my server.
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to install emacs on a usb stick in a
> way that it's possible to just plug into almost any Windows computer and
> run  it?
>
> Ian.

You'll probably need to write a COM/CMD file that sets EMACS_HOME to
the drive the USB stick is mapped to. It should also append to the
PATH the native Emacs tools, and set HOME properly so that it can read
your .emacs

Tim.

* Re: Org-mode to PDA export
@ 2007-09-24 18:21   ` Cezar
From: Cezar @ 2007-09-24 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> writes:

> I have an E61 (Symbian). I have given up any sort of automatic syncing.
> However, I have a cron job that publishes my org files to html on my
> local web server, so I can easily refer to it.
>
> For longer trips away, I take my laptop and/or email my org file to my
> phone. If I don't have access to a computer I find it easier to just
> treat the org file as a reference and not try and edit it.
>
> The third method I quite often use is to ssh into my server and edit
> using emacs in a terminal. I usually carry a USB stick with things like
> Putty, so if I can borrow someone else's computer I can still edit the
> file on my server.
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to install emacs on a usb stick in a
> way that it's possible to just plug into almost any Windows computer and
> run  it?

What I was thinking was to somehow email a file from the PDA (I don't
have it yet so dunno what format it can export) and chopt it and append
to an org file. And from org to pda, maybe write a file like that and
email it back to the pda.

Does this sound doable ? Or am I not seeing something !?

Cheers,
Cezar

* Re: Org-mode to PDA export
@ 2007-09-24 20:47     ` Jost Burkardt
From: Jost Burkardt @ 2007-09-24 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

forgot to forward to list

"Tim O'Callaghan" <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> writes:

> On 24/09/2007, Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> wrote:
>> Does anyone know if it's possible to install emacs on a usb stick in a
>> way that it's possible to just plug into almost any Windows computer and
>> run  it?
>>
>> Ian.
>>

> You'll probably need to write a COM/CMD file that sets EMACS_HOME to
> the drive the USB stick is mapped to. It should also append to the
> PATH the native Emacs tools, and set HOME properly so that it can read
> your .emacs

I've got a regular emacs Installation on my USB-DRIVE (e.g. F:/PortableApps/emacs-22.1) and the following lines
in my site-lisp/site-start.el :

(defvar usb-drive-letter (substring data-directory 0 -28)) ;; get root directory of emacs installation
(defvar usb-home-dir (concat usb-drive-letter "Documents/"))
(setenv "HOME" usb-home-dir)

Works O.K. for me.

Jost
        ,,,
       (o o)
----ooO-(_)-Ooo-----------------------

BEWEIS DURCH PRÄZISE BEZEICHNUNGEN:
"Sei p ein Punkt q, wir wollen ihn als r kennzeichnen."

* Re: Re: Org-mode to PDA export
@ 2007-09-25 11:19     ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2007-09-25 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> What I was thinking was to somehow email a file from the PDA (I don't
> have it yet so dunno what format it can export) and chopt it and append
> to an org file. And from org to pda, maybe write a file like that and
> email it back to the pda.
>
> Does this sound doable ? Or am I not seeing something !?

Window Mobile has quite a few text editors available. Probably the
easiest solution would be to mail the org file to the phone and edit it
directly, then mail it back once you have finished with it.

If you use Outlook, I think that you can get it to sync text files to
your phone with Activesync.

Ian.

* Re: Org-mode to PDA export
@ 2007-09-25 11:20       ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2007-09-25 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

> I've got a regular emacs Installation on my USB-DRIVE (e.g. F:/PortableApps/emacs-22.1) and the following lines
> in my site-lisp/site-start.el :
>
> (defvar usb-drive-letter (substring data-directory 0 -28)) ;; get root directory of emacs installation
> (defvar usb-home-dir (concat usb-drive-letter "Documents/"))
> (setenv "HOME" usb-home-dir)

Thanks, that's useful information. We are an all Linux household, but it
might be useful to be able to take "emacs on a stick" for use at friends
houses, or Internet cafes.

Ian.