From: Brian van den Broek <broek@cc.umanitoba.ca>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Cc: Carl Bolduc <drcurl@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Scheduled events persists unless deleted
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:19:23 -0400	[thread overview]

Carsten Dominik said unto the world upon 09/05/2007 09:54 AM:
> This is becoming a FAQ, if anyone has an idea how I should
> present this more clearly in the documentation, let me know.
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Sep 5, 2007, at 15:22, Brian van den Broek wrote:
>
>> Carl Bolduc said unto the world upon 09/05/2007 09:02 AM:
>>> Hi!
>>> Still very new to Org... my setup is very simple at the moment, 1
>>> file for
>>> work and 1 file for home. At the top of each of those files, I keep a "*
>>> Event" entry and I put my meetings and events under there.
>>> If , for example, and event is scheduled for yesterday, it will show up
>>> today as well in my agenda, with "2x" in front of it. I have to
>>> delete the
>>> entry if I want it to go away. Since these are often not related to
>>> ToDo, I
>>> would like to keep them but I would like them to appear only on the
>>> day they
>>> are scheduled.
>>> Is it possible?
>>> Thanks,

Carl,

I'm reflexively anti top-posting. But, I guess you can take Carsten's
practice to indicate that I might have been wrong about top posting to
this list :-)

Carsten,

Your question seems a tough one to me. I almost posted the same form
of question when I first encountered org-mode. Once I worked it out, I
looked over the manual to see how it was I missed it, and what changes
might have made that less likely. No offence to Carl or any other
posers of the question, but I couldn't see how I did miss it, and I
concluded my brain had been on the fritz when I read the relevant
parts :-)

Perhaps part of the issue is that the TODO items chapter comes long
before the timestamp chapter? Maybe that naturally leads many minds to
think that TODO's are org-mode's basic way of registering events, etc.?

I've not reread all the relevant sections in a while and this is typed
pretty much at the speed of thought. But, perhaps it would help to add
the following text to the end of 8.3 Deadlines and Scheduling:

``SCHEDULED and DEADLINE keywords introduce advanced warnings into the
  agenda display for the items with which they are associated. If you
wish an item to be included in the agenda display on some particular
day without any notation of an impending event introduced into the
display of previous days of the agenda, simply include an active
timestamp in the item without any SCHEDULED or DEADLINE keywords. You
will still be able to see such items coming up when viewing the agenda
display in week/month/year view, but there will be no notation
introduced into the display of the days in advance of the day of the
timestamp.''

That's clumsy, but it's the best I can do in the time I have :-)

HTH,

Brian vdB