* Interpretation of priorities in org-mode
@ 2007-07-30 17:53 Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2007-07-30 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

I'd like to find out how different people use priorities (#A, #B, ...)
in org-mode.  I've always assumed the standard interpretation (#A =
high priority, #B = medium, #C = low).  However, the problem with this
approach is that what "high priority" means is not well defined, and
if you are not careful, then all your items will quickly become high
priority, which defeats the whole point.

I've been recently experimenting with a different interpretation of
priorities: #B = tasks to do today, #C = tasks to do this week, #D =
all the rest, default.  #A is reserved at the moment.  One good thing
about this system is a clearer interpretation of priorities.  Another is
that it separates the action of inserting new items into your todo
list and that of assigning a particular priority to them.  In
particular, at the beginning of each day, you can look at your list of
todos/deadlines/scheduled, and pick a few to complete on that day by
giving them the #B priority.  At any time of the day, the agenda will
show you these #B items clearly separated from the rest.  Previously,
I had to do a mental rescanning of the agenda items each time I
was wondering "what do I have to do now", which was rather stressful.

Of course, I've tried this only for a couple of days, so my
conclusions might be completely bogus.  Maybe there is a better way
than priorities to mark items as "to complete today".  I'd definitely
like to know what others think about it.

One more thing: it is nice to be able to separate items with different
priorities in an agenda view by some lines like '======= #A ======='
or similar.  I've also found it useful to separate deadlines from
scheduled items.  Your can use the following code to achieve this:

(defadvice org-finalize-agenda-entries (before local-org-finalize activate)
   (loop for (text priority) in '(("Scheduled        " 1400)
				   ("Deadlines        " 2000)
				   ("This week    (#C)" 2900)
				   ("Today        (#B)" 3900)
				   ("Top priority (#A)" 4900))
	  do (push (org-add-props
		       (format "=========== %s ==========" text)
		       nil 'priority priority)
		   list)))

(defadvice org-agenda-get-deadlines (after local-org-get-deadlines activate)
  (dolist (item ad-return-value)
    (put-text-property 0 (length item)
		       'priority (+ 500 (get-text-property 0 'priority item))
		       item)))

Thanks,
Piotr

* Re: Interpretation of priorities in org-mode
       [not found] <E1IFuCH-0002uJ-Ki@mail.zrz.tu-berlin.de>
@ 2007-07-31 17:38 ` Stephan Schmitt
From: Stephan Schmitt @ 2007-07-31 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I think there are two possible interpretations of 'priority', /importance/ and
/urgency/.

It is up to the user which is preferred.  You propose the interpretation as
urgency: "I have to do that thing today/this week/sometime".  Importance may
come into play with your daily decision, what to do next.  The advantage of this
approach is the better quantifiability of 'urgency'.

At the moment in org-mode you have to opt for one interpretation.  But with the
fresh and cool property feature in org-mode it should be possible to incorporate
both aspects together.  Somehow.

Just a thought, though.

Greetings,
	Stephan

@ 2007-08-01  0:22 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-08-01  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Piotr Zielinski; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Piotr,

"Piotr Zielinski" <piotr.zielinski@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been recently experimenting with a different interpretation of
> priorities: #B = tasks to do today, #C = tasks to do this week, #D =
> all the rest, default. #A is reserved at the moment. One good thing
> about this system is a clearer interpretation of priorities.

When i first started using priorities, i was also leaned to misuse them
as you describe, and my file ended up with top priorities everywhere.

After a while, i discover it was better:

1. not to upgrade priorities too easily;
2. not trying to make them do an other job than their job.

Let me explain myself a bit.

The #1 advice seems obvious but it is hard to stick to it. One problem
comes from Org-mode itself, because it makes it soooo easy to upgrade a
priority that you often feel like upgrading one -- instead of completing
the task under it :)

Another problem comes from the fact that priority are dependant from
each others. I think it's better to have something around 10%-[#A],
20%-[#B], and 30%-[#C], and changing the priority of a few tasks might
disturb the balance.

So here comes the #2 advice. Because i noticed that the reflex of
upgrading too many [#B] to [#A] was just a way to make my Org files
"say" something else (yes, my Org files *speak*), like "Do it next!"
(which should be said by a TODO keyword) or "Do it today, you lazy
bum!" (which could be said by the agenda...)

So i try to keep a reasonable number of high-prioritized tasks and if i
feel like i start to "upgrade" indecently, then i think twice about why
i'm doing this.

The thing is that i mainly use the priority system to have a useful
display of the agenda view:

(setq org-agenda-sorting-strategy
      '((agenda time-up priority-down)
	(todo priority-down)
	(tags priority-down)))

(Okay, all of this is very nice but here is the truth: i got *tons* of
chaotic tasks under misused priorities... but at least you get the way
i would like to use them :)

PS: just thinking: another way to use priorities could be to make lower
tasks *dependant* (in they order of execution) from higher tasks. But i
would prefer to make this dependance visible by using the display order,
i.e. one task "after" another.

Bastien

* Re: Interpretation of priorities in org-mode
@ 2007-08-01 14:47 Renzo Been
From: Renzo Been @ 2007-08-01 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Maybe I'm not that smart here...

But what is actually the difference between using:
*priorities

and:
*Using tags

You could make tags like this:
Urgent
Tomorow
Low

etc...

Ciao,
Renzo

* Re: Interpretation of priorities in org-mode
@ 2007-08-01 14:58 ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-08-01 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Piotr Zielinski" <piotr.zielinski@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to find out how different people use priorities (#A, #B, ...)
> in org-mode.  I've always assumed the standard interpretation (#A =
> high priority, #B = medium, #C = low).  However, the problem with this
> approach is that what "high priority" means is not well defined, and
> if you are not careful, then all your items will quickly become high
> priority, which defeats the whole point.

I don't really use priorities at all, since I'm using org-mode to do
GTD.  If something has to be done today, then that's a deadline, not a
priority.  If I don't need or want to get something done /in the next
week/, it probably shouldn't be crowding up my todo-lists at all, and
making it harder for me to find things I should be doing; it should be
on my someday/maybe list.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Interpretation of priorities in org-mode
@ 2007-08-01 15:24   ` Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2007-08-01 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 01/08/07, Jason F. McBrayer <jmcbray@carcosa.net> wrote:
> I don't really use priorities at all, since I'm using org-mode to do
> GTD.

I agree with you on that, I was only suggesting using priorities as a
technical means to label certain tasks as "to do today" in a way which
is easy in org-mode.

> If something has to be done today, then that's a deadline, not a
> priority.

As I said, my reason for scheduling certain tasks as "for today", is
that I like to have a plan of what to do each day.  Without an
explicit plan, I catch myself scanning my todo list many times during
a day, effectively wasting time on recreating the same plan many times.
But I've tried it only for a week now, so I can't say whether it works.

@ 2007-08-02 12:13     ` Egli Christian (KIRO 41)
From: Egli Christian (KIRO 41) @ 2007-08-02 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Piotr Zielinski, Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-09  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Egli Christian (KIRO 41); +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 2, 2007, at 14:13, Egli Christian (KIRO 41) wrote:

> What I do is that I schedule the tasks that I want to do on a
> particular
> day. I also customize the agenda to show unscheduled TODOs, so my
> (weekly) agenda shows me the tasks that haven't been scheduled
> (probably
> not so important, a MAYBE in GTD speak) and the tasks that are
> scheduled
> for a particular day. I look at the current day and see the tasks that
> are up for this day.
>
> What I'd like to do is to be able to schedule a task for a given week.
> Say I know that I want to hand in a paper which is due in two weeks but
> this week is very busy and I have no time to work on it. So I want to
> schedule it for next week. At the moment I just schedule it for next
> monday but I would like to be flexible next week and do the paper maybe
> on another day next week depending on other load. Basically I would
> like
> the agenda to show me something along the following:

This sounds complex, and it seems to me that scheduling these things
for the Monday and then doing them during the week is still the
simplest solution.

- Carsten