From: "Daniel J. Sinder" <djsinder@gmail.com>
To: Scott Jaderholm <jaderholm@gmail.com>
Cc: org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>, Rick Moynihan <rick@calicojack.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Jump points
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:23:42 -0700	[thread overview]

On 07/11/2007 08:28 AM, Scott Jaderholm wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Rick Moynihan <rick@calicojack.co.uk> wrote:
>> So here's a suggestion.  Why not support jump points (or jump lines),
>> which would be essentially be a syntactic marker that would tell
>> org-mode to jump to a specific line within an outline when visiting from
>> the agenda e.g. via follow mode.
>>
>> * My main project outline.
>>    blah blah blah...
>>
>>    - [ ] do something
>>    - [ ] do this ++
>>    - [ ] do something else
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> I'm guessing you have a really good reason for organizing your project
> using lists and check boxes instead of TODOs and headings, in which
> case this email isn't really useful--but, in the extremely unlikely
> event that you don't, I thought I'd note how this becomes a non-issue
> if you organize your work in the following way:
>
> * My main project outline
> ** TODO do something
> ** NEXT do this
>   SCHEDULED: <2007-07-12 Thu>
> ** do something else
>
> If you schedule individual tasks, instead of projects, then the agenda
> will take you right to your next item. If you schedule projects, then
> it's easy to see what is the next item to be done because it says
> NEXT.

If I may jump in here, I'll add that go a little further to aid with
multiple projects.  I use two SEQ_TODO's like this:
#+SEQ_TODO:  TODO NEXT INPROGRESS WAITING | DONE CANCELED
#+SEQ_TODO:  PROJECT | COMPLETE

Then my project trees (all in one file) look like this:
* PROJECT My main project outline  :Work:
** TODO do something
** NEXT do this
   SCHEDULED: <2007-07-12 Thu>
** TODO do something else
** WAITING someone else is working on this
** INPROGRESS Here's what I'm currently working on
* PROJECT Another project
** NEXT next for another project
** TODO do anothre thing

When I generate agendas, I can do a tags/TODO agenda on
'Work/PROJECT|NEXT'.  Through indentation, the agenda visually
groups everything so I can see what's next for each project.  It
looks something like this.

PROJECT My main project outline                    :Work:
.NEXT do this
PROJECT Another project                            :Work:
.NEXT next for another project

This is great for a weekly review, to make certain all project have
a defined NEXT action.

A tags/TODO agenda that includes all TODO keywords will also group
tasks by project, but will give broader scope.

(One down-side to this is that M-S-<RET> on the first TODO after a
PROJECT headline inserts a new PROJECT rather than a new TODO, which
I have to then change.  The alternative, of course, is to add at the
end of the list for a project.

Regards,
Dan