* In-buffer bold face in headline levels
@ 2007-07-10 22:45 Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2007-07-10 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I think there is a bug in setting faces for *bold* in headlines.
I've tested this in 5.01 and 5.02

* Bold in a headline *does work* at the top level
** But *does not work* at the second level
*** It also *does not work* at the third level
**** But *does work* again on all lower levels

This is only broken for in-buffer emacs faces.  Bold in HTML export
works for all headline levels.

Dan

* Re: In-buffer bold face in headline levels
@ 2007-07-11  6:54 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-11  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

OK, I am giving up on emphasis.  This is really too hard for
my little brain.  Basically, I don't know how to make this
work for all the requests I have gotten in the past,
including

- allowing stacked fontification, like bold and italic
- allowing characters that are emphasis markers inside
   an emphasis, like */usr/lib*
- allowing white space and newlines in the emphasis
   like *this is all bold*,

I guess one could write a complex function to do the matching,
but with a regular expression - like I am doing it now, I
don't think I can make it work.

Here is the deal:  If I get at least 5 tutorials full of
screenshots by the end of the summer, I will give it
yet another shot :-)
Until then, we have to live with this issue.

- Carsten

P.S.:  Of course: thank you for reporting the issue.  Its just
too hard to fix.

On Jul 11, 2007, at 0:45, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

> I think there is a bug in setting faces for *bold* in headlines.
> I've tested this in 5.01 and 5.02
>
> * Bold in a headline *does work* at the top level
> ** But *does not work* at the second level
> *** It also *does not work* at the third level
> **** But *does work* again on all lower levels
>
> This is only broken for in-buffer emacs faces.  Bold in HTML export
> works for all headline levels.
>
> Dan

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: In-buffer bold face in headline levels
@ 2007-07-11 17:23   ` Daniel J. Sinder
From: Daniel J. Sinder @ 2007-07-11 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 07/10/2007 11:54 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> OK, I am giving up on emphasis.  This is really too hard for
> my little brain.  Basically, I don't know how to make this
> work for all the requests I have gotten in the past,
> including
>
> - allowing stacked fontification, like bold and italic
> - allowing characters that are emphasis markers inside
>   an emphasis, like */usr/lib*
> - allowing white space and newlines in the emphasis
>   like *this is all bold*,
>
> I guess one could write a complex function to do the matching,
> but with a regular expression - like I am doing it now, I
> don't think I can make it work.

Can't say I blame you.  I know I couldn't do it with a regexp.

> Here is the deal:  If I get at least 5 tutorials full of
> screenshots by the end of the summer, I will give it
> yet another shot :-)
> Until then, we have to live with this issue.

TODO Org-mode tutorial with screenshots
C-c C-d [2007-09-02] <Enter>

*After you get the 5 tutorials*, here's my suggestion:
Have emphasis work for the simplest case (no stacking, no enclosed
markers, no white space, etc.).  For anything more complicated,
require LaTeX style markup (e.g., \textbf{this is all bold}), but
hide the markup when the closing brace is entered (like hiding
square brackets in links).  Would that be more reasonable?

Thanks,

@ 2007-07-12 12:24     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-12 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel J. Sinder; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 11, 2007, at 19:23, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

> TODO Org-mode tutorial with screenshots
> C-c C-d [2007-09-02] <Enter>

I love that. :-)

> *After you get the 5 tutorials*, here's my suggestion:
> Have emphasis work for the simplest case (no stacking, no enclosed
> markers, no white space, etc.).  For anything more complicated,
> require LaTeX style markup (e.g., \textbf{this is all bold}), but
> hide the markup when the closing brace is entered (like hiding
> square brackets in links).  Would that be more reasonable?

Yes, it might be reasonable to reduce the scope.
Of course, already now you can do

    ** This heading contains @<b>bold text@</b>

But this is not highlighted in the buffer, while it
works for export.

- Carsten