* done todos only date stamped, not date-time stamped
@ 2007-07-11 15:55 Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2007-07-11 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'm about a week into using emacs, so I might have overlooked
something simple. :-)

I've been looking at org-mode and it seems like it will serve me well.
  I do, however, have a bit of puzzlement over the feature whereby
todo items can be marked as done.

According to the tutorial
<http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/OrgTutorial.html>, when a todo item
is marked as done via the C-c C-t keystrokes, it should get stamped
with a date and time of completion (e.g., ``CLOSED: [2006-05-04 Thu
11:29]'').

Unfortunately, I get only a datestamp, without time data (e.g., ``
CLOSED: [2007-07-11 Wed]'').

To rule out conflicts with other settings in my .emacs, I have tried
launching emacs with a .emacs that reads, in its entirety:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
(define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(setq org-log-done t)

(The tutorial's suggested ``(require 'org-install)'' produces an error
message:
``An error has occurred while loading `/home/brian/.emacs':

File error: Cannot open load file, org-install'')

This did not resolve the problem.

I have no org.el on my system, and my weak, largely read-only lisp
isn't up to the task of making sense of org.elc.

I am using GNU Emacs 22.0.91.1 with Org-mode version 4.56 on ubuntu 7.04.

I am aware that there are more recent version of org-mode available.
But, as I am very new to emacs, I've never upgraded an emacs package,
and thought I ought to check here first before forging ahead myself. I
also am not enthusiastic about updating emacs itself and thus getting
off my distro's package management. I am willing to try either if it
is suggested here, though.

A good google and a browse of this lists archives didn't cast any
light. So, any suggestions for how I can I get time information in the
timestamp appended to done todo items?

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB