* Two questions about latex export
@ 2009-04-27 17:34 Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2009-04-27 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

1.  I am making a table of conditional probabilities.  This means the
table headers look like this: p(e|\omega), for example.  The vbar in the
header confuses orgmode.  It thinks that's a column-delimiter.  Adding a
prefix \ does not help.  Is there a work around?  For the moment I put
\newcommand{\vbar}{|} in a latex block and use \vbar in place of |.
Works, but makes the table a little less readable than I'd like.

more importantly:

2.  I put an eqnarray* environment in my org file.  The equation breaks
across multiple lines so it looks like this:

\begin{eqnarray*}

x &=& blah blah blah \\
  &=& blah blah blah \\
    &=& blah blah blah \\
\end{eqnarray*}

org-mode quotes (backslashes) the &=& so they don't get interpreted
correctly.  Is there something I can do to keep that from happening?

thanks!
Robert

* Re: Two questions about latex export
@ 2009-04-27 18:35 ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2009-04-27 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Robert Goldman wrote:
> 1.  I am making a table of conditional probabilities.  This means the
> table headers look like this: p(e|\omega), for example.  The vbar in the
> header confuses orgmode.  It thinks that's a column-delimiter.  Adding a
> prefix \ does not help.  Is there a work around?  For the moment I put
> \newcommand{\vbar}{|} in a latex block and use \vbar in place of |.
> Works, but makes the table a little less readable than I'd like.
>
> more importantly:
>
> 2.  I put an eqnarray* environment in my org file.  The equation breaks
> across multiple lines so it looks like this:
>
> \begin{eqnarray*}
>
> x &=& blah blah blah \\
>   &=& blah blah blah \\
>     &=& blah blah blah \\
> \end{eqnarray*}
>
> org-mode quotes (backslashes) the &=& so they don't get interpreted
> correctly.  Is there something I can do to keep that from happening?

A quick follow up to this one.  The bug does NOT occur if I substitute
eqnarray for eqnarray*.  I believe that this means that the constant
org-latex-entities in org-latex.el needs to be modified to admit the
starred (unnumbered) variants of the latex math operators.

Unfortunately, my simple-minded attempt to butcher in stars has run
aground on the shoals of my ignorance of the combination of emacs-lisp
string escapes, and emacs regexpressions.  Simply adding

"\\begin{eqnarray*}"

to that list won't work, and even

"\\begin{eqnarray\\*}"

doesn't seem to do the right thing.  if anyone can put me on the right
track, I'll try to provide a patch.

Thanks!

* Re: Two questions about latex export
@ 2009-04-29 19:37 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-29 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 27, 2009, at 7:34 PM, Robert Goldman wrote:

> 1.  I am making a table of conditional probabilities.  This means the
> table headers look like this: p(e|\omega), for example.  The vbar in
> the
> header confuses orgmode.  It thinks that's a column-delimiter.
> Adding a
> prefix \ does not help.  Is there a work around?  For the moment I put
> \newcommand{\vbar}{|} in a latex block and use \vbar in place of |.
> Works, but makes the table a little less readable than I'd like.

\vert, as pointed out by Giovanni.

> more importantly:
>
> 2.  I put an eqnarray* environment in my org file.  The equation
> breaks
> across multiple lines so it looks like this:
>
> \begin{eqnarray*}
>
> x &=& blah blah blah \\
>  &=& blah blah blah \\
>    &=& blah blah blah \\
> \end{eqnarray*}
>
> org-mode quotes (backslashes) the &=& so they don't get interpreted
> correctly.  Is there something I can do to keep that from happening?

This is a bug, fixed now, thanks.

- Carsten