* Tangling without clutter?
@ 2012-03-14 17:34 Jos'h Fuller
From: Jos'h Fuller @ 2012-03-14 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi!

I was writing some documentation about how to use a Python function, so I decided to try the tangling feature. However, the result, when exported to PDF, is unsatisfactory because the referenced code block is included twice -- first in the original location, then again where I referenced it with <<function-definition>>.

This is, of course, exactly what it needs to do to be able to execute the code properly and show the result. But it doesn't look nice. Is there any way to suppress the second printing inside the function-demo block?

If this isn't clear from the example below, I can provide examples of the duplication in action as well as what I'd like the output to look like.

Thanks very much!

Example file:
#+TITLE:     Tangle Test
#+LANGUAGE:  en

* Tangled Code
  I want to show the definition of a function first:
  #+name: function-definition
  #+begin_src python :tangle yes :exports code
    def entable(data):
        if not data: return "/No data./"

        columns = len(data[0])
        sizes   = [0,]*columns
        for row in data:
            sizes = [max(x) for x in zip(sizes, [len(str(t)) for t in row])]

        format = "| " + " | ".join(["%%%ds" % x for x in sizes])+" |"
        return "\n".join([format % tuple(row) for row in data])
  #+end_src

  Now I want to show a demonstration of how the function might be
  called. I need the function to be included so that demonstration
  code can be executed, but I don't want to include the function
  definition twice:

  #+name: function-demo
  #+begin_src python :tangle yes :exports both :noweb yes :results output
    <<function-definition>>

    print entable([["One", 2, 3],["Four", 5, 6], ["Seven", 8, 9]])
  #+end_src

  Which gives us this result:

  #+results: function-demo
  : |   One | 2 | 3 |