* Latest versions
@ 2013-01-25 15:21 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2013-01-25 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

How do I get the latest version of org-mode, with git?

I got the version I have initially with
'git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git', and I
'git refresh' every day, but that keeps me in 7.9.3c.

I had to 'wget http://orgmode.org/org-latest.tar.gz' to get to 7.9.3d.

What might I be doing incorrectly?  I presumed that git fetch would keep
me up to the latest version, but it seems not to.

Thanks,

Dave in St. Petersburg, FL

* Re: Latest versions
@ 2013-01-25 18:18 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-01-25 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:

> How do I get the latest version of org-mode, with git?
>
> I got the version I have initially with
> 'git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git', and I
> 'git refresh' every day, but that keeps me in 7.9.3c.

You mean ``git pull''? I get

$ git refresh
git: 'refresh' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

> I had to 'wget http://orgmode.org/org-latest.tar.gz' to get to 7.9.3d.
>
> What might I be doing incorrectly?  I presumed that git fetch would keep
> me up to the latest version, but it seems not to.

Depending on how you run (uncompiled from the git repo? compiled and
installed in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp? etc, etc.), you need to
do

	make autoloads

at the very least. If you are doing the "right" thing, compiling and
installing in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/org or thereabouts, you need to do

	make install

(probably as root).

If you are on Windows, this won't work.

Nick

* Re: Latest versions
@ 2013-01-25 18:20   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-01-25 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, J. David Boyd

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

>> How do I get the latest version of org-mode, with git?
>>
>> I got the version I have initially with
>> 'git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git', and I
>> 'git refresh' every day, but that keeps me in 7.9.3c.
>>

> You mean ``git pull''? I get
>
> $ git refresh
> git: 'refresh' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

make update

* Re: Latest versions
@ 2013-01-25 18:33     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-01-25 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, J. David Boyd

Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>

> >> How do I get the latest version of org-mode, with git?
> >>
> >> I got the version I have initially with
> >> 'git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git', and I
> >> 'git refresh' every day, but that keeps me in 7.9.3c.
> >>

> > You mean ``git pull''? I get
> >
> > $ git refresh
> > git: 'refresh' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
>
> make update

Agreed: the best thing to do is ``make help'' and ``make helpall'', and
figure out what the proper make target is for one's purposes.

Nick

* Re: Latest versions
@ 2013-01-25 19:07       ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2013-01-25 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > You mean ``git pull''? I get
>> >
>> > $ git refresh
>> > git: 'refresh' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
>>
>> make update
>

> Agreed: the best thing to do is ``make help'' and ``make helpall'', and
> figure out what the proper make target is for one's purposes.
>
> Nick

Sorry, I meant 'git fetch' from inside the org-mode directory.

Dave

* Re: Latest versions
@ 2013-01-25 20:08         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-01-25 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

J. David Boyd writes:
> Sorry, I meant 'git fetch' from inside the org-mode directory.

That doesn't even try to touch your work-tree.  You want "git pull", but
using the appropriate target from the build system is even better since
it will ensure that everything else is up-to-date, too.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Latest versions
@ 2013-01-25 20:23           ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2013-01-25 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> J. David Boyd writes:
>> Sorry, I meant 'git fetch' from inside the org-mode directory.
>
> That doesn't even try to touch your work-tree.  You want "git pull", but
> using the appropriate target from the build system is even better since
> it will ensure that everything else is up-to-date, too.
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

I didn't realize 'make update' existed.  That worked great!

Dave