* org-mode font-locking clobbers the rear-nonsticky text property; for other modes it doesn't
@ 2007-10-03  9:34 Tom Weissmann
From: Tom Weissmann @ 2007-10-03  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am trying to work out why font-lock for Org-mode changes the rear-nonsticky
property of text I insert, while it doesn't do it for other modes.

For example:

(with-current-buffer
    (get-buffer-create "foo")
  (insert (propertize ";;Try adding text after this ->"
		      'read-only t
		      'face 'underline
		      'rear-nonsticky '(read-only))))

In the "foo" buffer you will be able to add text after the arrow. Turning on
lisp-interaction mode will fontify the text as a comment, but if you delete the
text you added you'll still be able to add some more - whereas in org-mode you
can't.

Does anyone know why this happens and how I can prevent it?

Cheers,
Tom SW

* Re: org-mode font-locking clobbers the rear-nonsticky text property; for other modes it doesn't
@ 2007-10-04  8:44 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-10-04  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Weissmann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 3, 2007, at 11:34, Tom Weissmann wrote:

> I am trying to work out why font-lock for Org-mode changes the
> rear-nonsticky
> property of text I insert, while it doesn't do it for other modes.
>
> For example:
>
> (with-current-buffer
>     (get-buffer-create "foo")
>   (insert (propertize ";;Try adding text after this ->"
> 		      'read-only t
> 		      'face 'underline
> 		      'rear-nonsticky '(read-only))))
>
> In the "foo" buffer you will be able to add text after the arrow.
> Turning on
> lisp-interaction mode will fontify the text as a comment, but if you
> delete the
> text you added you'll still be able to add some more - whereas in
> org-mode you
> can't.
>
> Does anyone know why this happens and how I can prevent it?

Hi Tom,

the reason is this:  Org-mode uses font-lock to activate links and
dates,
and it adds a rear-nonsticky property to make sure that the properties
behave well.   Because of this, the unfontification function I wrote for
org-mode does remove the rear-nonsticky property indiscriminately.
I did not know that you can select the individual properties that
should be
non-sticky - I only learned that from your example.  Thanks!

This problem will be fixed in 5.11.

- Carsten