* BUG? - Time summary overlay inherits org-tag face if heading has tags
@ 2009-01-21  4:59 William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2009-01-21  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list

Hi list

If a heading has tags, then that heading's time summary overlay (shown
by C-c C-x C-d) is displayed using the org-tag face. This looks a bit
strange. Is it intended? It is especially noticeable in my case, since
I have my tags shown in a smaller font.

org-mode 6.17, emacs 22.3.2, aquamacs 1.5

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: BUG? - Time summary overlay inherits org-tag face if heading has tags
@ 2009-01-21  9:32 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-21  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

On Jan 21, 2009, at 5:59 AM, William Henney wrote:

> Hi list
>
> If a heading has tags, then that heading's time summary overlay (shown
> by C-c C-x C-d) is displayed using the org-tag face. This looks a bit
> strange. Is it intended?

What is intended is that the face should be only a highlight, and
inherit
the rest from the headline face which is below the overlay.

Of course the assumption was that the tag face would not be too
different from the headline face....

- Carsten

@ 2009-01-21 15:51   ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2009-01-21 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode list

Hi Carsten

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> If a heading has tags, then that heading's time summary overlay (shown
>> by C-c C-x C-d) is displayed using the org-tag face. This looks a bit
>> strange. Is it intended?
>

> What is intended is that the face should be only a highlight, and inherit
> the rest from the headline face which is below the overlay.
>
> Of course the assumption was that the tag face would not be too different
> from the headline face....

Apologies for violating your assumption then :)

I take it that fixing this would not be straightforward? In that case,
it is probably not worth bothering with for a purely cosmetic issue. I
had put the tags in a smaller font so they weren't quite so in my
face. I was wondering if I could achieve a similar effect by having
the tags go in a property drawer instead of in the headline, but I
couldn't see from the manual how to do this. The TAGS property seems
to be created on the fly.

Cheers

Will

--

@ 2009-01-22  6:32     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-22  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-orgmode list

On Jan 21, 2009, at 4:51 PM, William Henney wrote:

> Hi Carsten
>
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl
> > wrote:
>>> If a heading has tags, then that heading's time summary overlay
>>> (shown
>>> by C-c C-x C-d) is displayed using the org-tag face. This looks a
>>> bit
>>> strange. Is it intended?
>>

>> What is intended is that the face should be only a highlight, and
>> inherit
>> the rest from the headline face which is below the overlay.
>>
>> Of course the assumption was that the tag face would not be too
>> different
>> from the headline face....
>>

> Apologies for violating your assumption then :)

:-)

> I take it that fixing this would not be straightforward?

Of course.  I have now introduced a new face for this purpose.  It
still defaults to secondary-selection, but you can now customize it.

The name of the face is `org-clock-overlay'.

> In that case,
> it is probably not worth bothering with for a purely cosmetic issue. I
> had put the tags in a smaller font so they weren't quite so in my
> face. I was wondering if I could achieve a similar effect by having
> the tags go in a property drawer instead of in the headline, but I
> couldn't see from the manual how to do this. The TAGS property seems
> to be created on the fly.

Yes, TAGS are no property, they can only be accessed like properties,
for simplicity and consistency of the property interface.

This is fully on purpose, because I think the purpose of tags
is defeated when you can no longer see them.

Hope this helps.

- Carsten

>  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
>  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

Look at that, another astronomer!!!!! :-)