From: "William Henney" <whenney@gmail.com>
To: Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Re: Does this happen to you? Aquamacs messes with you! (but I still like my Mac)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:06:48 -0600	[thread overview]

Hi list

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
> I third that. Carbon Emacs is the only emacs package for OS X that
> works like Emacs is supposed to. It also comes with a lot more elisp
> goodness (i.e., more packages) by default. IMHO, Aquamacs tries to
> make Emacs behave like a very simple Carbon program (e.g., like Text
> Edit).

Just for the record, I have to disagree. As a long-time emacs user
(about 18 years), I am pretty happy with Aquamacs. To be honest, for
anyone who has any significant personal customizations, the
differences between different emacs "distros" on the Mac are pretty
slight. There is also I believe an "Enhanced Carbon Emacs" add-on for
Aquamacs that contains the extra packages that you mention. One detail
that I like with Aquamacs, which I don't think is present in other
emacs versions, is that you can drag the file icon from the Aquamacs
menubar onto other applications. Useful for attaching files to mail
messages for instance. Shame you can't drag from a dired buffer
though...

If you want to live on the cutting edge, there is also a Cocoa-based
emacs (emacs-app.sourceforge.net), which now seems to be in the main
emacs development trunk. Supposedly, Aquamacs plans to transition to
being based on this in the medium term. Last time I tried it, it was
pretty flaky though.

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia