* an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-12 15:13 Leo
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Leo @ 2007-06-12 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear list,

Anyone else find the following annoying?

*** heading 1
- item 1
- item 2

Now hit tabwith cursor right before '-', it becomes,

*** heading 1
    - item 1
      - item 2

Best,

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-12 16:20 ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-06-12 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Leo

On 6/12/07, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone else find the following annoying?

Yes, but...

> *** heading 1
> - item 1
> - item 2
>
> Now hit tabwith cursor right before '-', it becomes,
>
> *** heading 1
>     - item 1
>       - item 2

... I reported this to the list last week and Carsten pointed out that
it was impossible to tell whether "item 2" represented a continuation
of the same list or the start of a new nested list. Although I agree
with him, I feel that a saner default would be to assume the former.
After all, the same reasoning applies to headings, and they /do/ work
how I would expect.

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-12 16:35 ` Carsten Dominik
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-12 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 12, 2007, at 17:13, Leo wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Anyone else find the following annoying?
>
> *** heading 1
> - item 1
> - item 2
>
> Now hit tabwith cursor right before '-', it becomes,
>
> *** heading 1
>     - item 1
>       - item 2

The question I have is: why would you press TAB if not to indent?

- Carsten

> Best,
> --
> Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                         (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-12 16:42   ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-06-12 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 6/12/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> The question I have is: why would you press TAB if not to indent?

Well, in most major modes TAB means "fix the indentation of this
line", rather than "do some more indentation here" (the only exception
I can think of is "shell-script-mode"). In Leo's example, it looks
like he typed "item 1" and "item 2", then went back to fix the
indentation with TAB. It worked for "item 1", but not for "item 2".

Hope this makes things clearer.

Cheers

Will

--

@ 2007-06-12 17:18 ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2007-06-12 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Leo wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Anyone else find the following annoying?
>
> *** heading 1
> - item 1
> - item 2
>
> Now hit tabwith cursor right before '-', it becomes,
>
> *** heading 1
>     - item 1
>       - item 2
>
> Best,

I must admit I do run into this on occasion and it is a little annoying.
  It would (IMHO) be better if the first push of tab aligned with '-
item 1', with subsequent tabs indenting to the next level.  You should
however be restricted to only going one level deeper than the above item.

This said I usually create list items at the same level of indentation
with M-Return.

--
Rick Moynihan
Software Engineer

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-12 17:36   ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-06-12 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Leo

On 6/12/07, Rick Moynihan <rick@calicojack.co.uk> wrote:
> Leo wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > Anyone else find the following annoying?
> >
> > *** heading 1
> > - item 1
> > - item 2
> >
> > Now hit tabwith cursor right before '-', it becomes,
> >
> > *** heading 1
> >     - item 1
> >       - item 2
> >
> > Best,
>
> I must admit I do run into this on occasion and it is a little annoying.
>   It would (IMHO) be better if the first push of tab aligned with '-
> item 1', with subsequent tabs indenting to the next level.  You should
> however be restricted to only going one level deeper than the above item.
>
> This said I usually create list items at the same level of indentation
> with M-Return.

I hit this a bit, but I'm pretty quick with C-S-_.  Likewise I use
M-return and M-S-return pretty religiously now.  My problem is that
M-right will insert spaces into the following line when it is blank.
I keep having to clear the following line after inserting and
indenting a list entry at the end of a list.

Edd

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-12 17:49   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2007-06-12 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Jun 12, 2007, at 17:13, Leo wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> Anyone else find the following annoying?
>>
>> *** heading 1
>> - item 1
>> - item 2
>>
>> Now hit tabwith cursor right before '-', it becomes,
>>
>> *** heading 1
>>     - item 1
>>       - item 2
>
> The question I have is: why would you press TAB if not to indent?
>
> - Carsten

Maybe the OP is used to using TAB to format text, as in a C or Java program.
TAB just 'does the right thing' in cc-mode (I think it is), so to some people
it becomes automatic to use TAB to keep the document looking good.

Not a good idea in this case, of course!

Dave

* Re: Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-12 17:55     ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-06-12 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: Eddward DeVilla, emacs-orgmode, Leo, rick

I wonder if my messages have been getting through to the list OK. I
get responses from Carsten, but everyone else carries on as though
they hadn't read them :(

Cheers

Will

@ 2007-06-12 18:30   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-12 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

----- William Henney (2007-06-12) wrote:-----

> Hi Leo
>
> On 6/12/07, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyone else find the following annoying?
>>

> Yes, but...
>
>> *** heading 1
>> - item 1
>> - item 2
>>
>> Now hit tabwith cursor right before '-', it becomes,
>>
>> *** heading 1
>>     - item 1
>>       - item 2
>>

> ... I reported this to the list last week and Carsten pointed out that
> it was impossible to tell whether "item 2" represented a continuation
> of the same list or the start of a new nested list. Although I agree
> with him, I feel that a saner default would be to assume the former.
> After all, the same reasoning applies to headings, and they /do/ work
> how I would expect.
>
> Cheers
>
> Will

I think item 2 should be aligned to item 1 as the same level after TAB. If users
want a sublist they could easily use 'M-<right>' to do that.

However, when an item of the list is not aligned with its heading, the
quickest way is to use 'TAB'.

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-12 18:33   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-12 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

----- Carsten Dominik (2007-06-12) wrote:-----

>> *** heading 1
>> - item 1
>> - item 2
>>
>> Now hit tabwith cursor right before '-', it becomes,
>>
>> *** heading 1
>>     - item 1
>>       - item 2
>
> The question I have is: why would you press TAB if not to indent?

But in my case I use 'TAB' to indent. I feel 'item 2' should indent to
the same level as item 1.

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-12 19:45       ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2007-06-12 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It's just time lag.  We read your message, we all respond, you respond, a
while later, your response shows up, longer later, our responses show up.

Dave

@ 2007-06-14  2:51     ` Jonathan Moore
From: Jonathan Moore @ 2007-06-14  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Leo <sdl.web <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ----- Carsten Dominik (2007-06-12) wrote:-----
>
> >> *** heading 1
> >> - item 1
> >> - item 2
> >>
> >> Now hit tabwith cursor right before '-', it becomes,
> >>
> >> *** heading 1
> >>     - item 1
> >>       - item 2
> >
> > The question I have is: why would you press TAB if not to indent?
>
> But in my case I use 'TAB' to indent. I feel 'item 2' should indent to
> the same level as item 1.

I agree with Leo that this behavior is a minor nuisance.  But it is really bad
if one tries an indent-region on a plain list, because indent-region-function is
nil and you get things like:
         - item 1
           - item 2
             line 1
             line 2

             - item 3
               - ...

Working out a sensible place to indent to according to the style of previous
list markers does not seem that hard in principle.  I'd be willing to try coding
an option for this.

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-14 11:39     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-14 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Leo, Rick Moynihan

On Jun 12, 2007, at 19:36, Eddward DeVilla wrote:

> I hit this a bit, but I'm pretty quick with C-S-_.  Likewise I use
> M-return and M-S-return pretty religiously now.  My problem is that
> M-right will insert spaces into the following line when it is blank.
> I keep having to clear the following line after inserting and
> indenting a list entry at the end of a list.

This problem will disappear in the next version, thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-14 12:01   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-14 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Leo

On Jun 12, 2007, at 19:18, Rick Moynihan wrote:

> Leo wrote:
>> Dear list,
>> Anyone else find the following annoying?
>> *** heading 1
>> - item 1
>> - item 2
>> Now hit tabwith cursor right before '-', it becomes,
>> *** heading 1
>>     - item 1
>>       - item 2
>> Best,
>
> I must admit I do run into this on occasion and it is a little
> annoying.  It would (IMHO) be better if the first push of tab aligned
> with '- item 1', with subsequent tabs indenting to the next level.
> You should however be restricted to only going one level deeper than
> the above item.

Hmmm, I am not sure if I like different results after one or two
key presses.  If you want to indent deeper, you can use M-right.

How about the following proposal, which would rather consistently
base the indentation on the line before the current.

*** headline
- item 1
- item 2
here we have some text
- item 3

pressing TAB in each of the last 4 lines would give the
following result.

*** headline
     - item 1
     - item 2
       here we have some text
       - item 3

- Carsten

@ 2007-06-14 14:45     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-14 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rick Moynihan

----- Carsten Dominik (2007-06-14) wrote:-----

> *** headline
>     - item 1
>     - item 2
>       here we have some text
>       - item 3

I think '- item 3' still should be aligned to '- item 2'. If user want
to move the item deeper, 'M-right' can be used.

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-14 14:57       ` John Rakestraw
From: John Rakestraw @ 2007-06-14 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> ----- Carsten Dominik (2007-06-14) wrote:-----
>
> > *** headline
> >     - item 1
> >     - item 2
> >       here we have some text
> >       - item 3

> I think '- item 3' still should be aligned to '- item 2'. If user want
> to move the item deeper, 'M-right' can be used.

I agree with Leo -- or, rather, his proposal matches more nicely the
way I work. I often have lists with some items annotated and others not
annotated --

*** headline
     - item 1
       Some notes about item 1, sometimes just a line, but sometimes
       several lines
     - item 2
     - item 3
       Notes here.

(I recognize that others might have practices for which Carsten's
proposal makes more sense, and I could adjust, but ....)

--John

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-14 14:59       ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-06-14 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Rick Moynihan

On 6/14/07, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> ----- Carsten Dominik (2007-06-14) wrote:-----
>
> > *** headline
> >     - item 1
> >     - item 2
> >       here we have some text
> >       - item 3
>
> I think '- item 3' still should be aligned to '- item 2'. If user want
> to move the item deeper, 'M-right' can be used.

Agreed. IMHO hitting TAB on item 3 should produce the same indentation
as hitting M-return on the previous line /unless/ it already has a
deeper indentation than that.

Cheers

Will

--

@ 2007-06-14 15:02         ` pete phillips
From: pete phillips @ 2007-06-14 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Rakestraw; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    >> I think '- item 3' still should be aligned to '- item 2'. If user
    >> want to move the item deeper, 'M-right' can be used.
    >>

    John> I agree with Leo -- or, rather, his proposal matches more nicely the
    John> way I work. I often have lists with some items annotated and
    John> others not annotated --

I agree with John and Leo.

Pete

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-14 15:43           ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2007-06-14 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pete phillips; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

pete phillips wrote:
>     John> In response to which, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     >> I think '- item 3' still should be aligned to '- item 2'. If user
>     >> want to move the item deeper, 'M-right' can be used.
>     >>

>     John> I agree with Leo -- or, rather, his proposal matches more nicely the
>     John> way I work. I often have lists with some items annotated and
>     John> others not annotated --
>
> I agree with John and Leo.
>
> Pete

Given that my initial suggestion of multiple TAB presses goes against
the Emacs grain, I'm also in favour of John of Leo as my lists aren't
structured in a way consistent with Carsten's proposal.

R.

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-14 15:51             ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-06-14 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 6/14/07, Rick Moynihan <rick@calicojack.co.uk> wrote:
> >     John> In response to which, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >     >> I think '- item 3' still should be aligned to '- item 2'. If user
> >     >> want to move the item deeper, 'M-right' can be used.
> >     >>

> >     John> I agree with Leo -- or, rather, his proposal matches more nicely the
> >     John> way I work. I often have lists with some items annotated and
> >     John> others not annotated --
> >
> > I agree with John and Leo.
> >
> > Pete
> >

> Given that my initial suggestion of multiple TAB presses goes against
> the Emacs grain, I'm also in favour of John of Leo as my lists aren't
> structured in a way consistent with Carsten's proposal.

Well, there is a precedent for multiple TAB presses in python mode
(see doc string below). In practice I find it a bit confusing though.

python-indent-line is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `python.el'.
(python-indent-line)

Indent current line as Python code.
When invoked via `indent-for-tab-command', cycle through possible
indentations for current line.  The cycle is broken by a command
different from `indent-for-tab-command', i.e. successive TABs do
the cycling.

@ 2007-06-15  6:14           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-15  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pete phillips; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 14, 2007, at 17:02, pete phillips wrote:

>     John> In response to which, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I think '- item 3' still should be aligned to '- item 2'. If user
>>> want to move the item deeper, 'M-right' can be used.
>>>

>     John> I agree with Leo -- or, rather, his proposal matches more
> nicely the
>     John> way I work. I often have lists with some items annotated and
>     John> others not annotated --
>
> I agree with John and Leo.

Wow, what a turnout, and unanimous too.

Note that this will also imply that a list like

- item 1
- item 2
   - item 2a
   - item 2b
- item 3

would be flattened by TAB presses going from top to bottom.

- Carsten

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-15  7:50             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-15  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Moynihan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 14, 2007, at 17:43, Rick Moynihan wrote:

>>     John> In response to which, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
>>     >> I think '- item 3' still should be aligned to '- item 2'. If
>> user
>>     >> want to move the item deeper, 'M-right' can be used.
>>     >>     John> I agree with Leo -- or, rather, his proposal matches
>> more nicely the
>>     John> way I work. I often have lists with some items annotated and
>>     John> others not annotated --
>> I agree with John and Leo. Pete
>
> Given that my initial suggestion of multiple TAB presses goes against
> the Emacs grain, I'm also in favour of John of Leo as my lists aren't
> structured in a way consistent with Carsten's proposal.

Maybe not really against Emacs grain, but it is certainly not
common to have such a command.  In fact, we have one, C-a, if
turned on with org-special-control-a.

The problem I am seeing really is that the structure of a list
in org-mode is *defined* by indentation.  So there is no
clean way to have TAB automatically do the right thing,
certainly not with indent-region.  So all this discussion
can be about is what a sensible default can be - and you
will have to create the structure yourself anyway.

In this way, I am now tending to agree that a flat list default
makes sense.

- Carsten

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-15 11:24             ` Dmitri Minaev
From: Dmitri Minaev @ 2007-06-15 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 6/15/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> Wow, what a turnout, and unanimous too.

I join the majority :)

> Note that this will also imply that a list like
>
> - item 1
> - item 2
>    - item 2a
>    - item 2b
> - item 3
>
> would be flattened by TAB presses going from top to bottom.

Yes, but the list

- item 1
- item 2
   + item 2a
   + item 2b
- item 3

should remain as it is, if you pardon this peremptory remark... :)

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

Russian history blog: http://minaev.blogspot.com

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-15 13:44             ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-06-15 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> >     John> I agree with Leo -- or, rather, his proposal matches more
> > nicely the
> >     John> way I work. I often have lists with some items annotated and
> >     John> others not annotated --
> >
> > I agree with John and Leo.
>
> Wow, what a turnout, and unanimous too.
>
> Note that this will also imply that a list like
>
> - item 1
> - item 2
>    - item 2a
>    - item 2b
> - item 3
>
> would be flattened by TAB presses going from top to bottom.

Not according to my understanding, since items 2a and 2b would fall
under the "unless it already has a deeper indentation than that"
clause, so TAB wouldn't touch them. I'm not sure that this is what
everyone else is agreeing to though...

Cheers

Will

--

@ 2007-06-15 14:13               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-15 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 15, 2007, at 15:44, William Henney wrote:
>> Note that this will also imply that a list like
>>
>> - item 1
>> - item 2
>>    - item 2a
>>    - item 2b
>> - item 3
>>
>> would be flattened by TAB presses going from top to bottom.
>>

> Not according to my understanding, since items 2a and 2b would fall
> under the "unless it already has a deeper indentation than that"
> clause, so TAB wouldn't touch them. I'm not sure that this is what
> everyone else is agreeing to though...

Yes, I did notice that extra bit in your proposal.  However,
I think it will easily lead to unwanted behavior as well:

** heading
        - item 1
        - item 2
        - item 3

will get you:

** heading
    - item 1
      - item 2
        - item 3

after doing the TAB dance.

- Carsten

* Re: an annoying indentation
@ 2007-06-15 14:53                 ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-06-15 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 6/15/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> Yes, I did notice that extra bit in your proposal.  However,
> I think it will easily lead to unwanted behavior as well:
>
> ** heading
>         - item 1
>         - item 2
>         - item 3
>
> will get you:
>
> ** heading
>     - item 1
>       - item 2
>         - item 3

Yes, you are right. Probably best keep it as simple as possible then.

Cheers

Will