* pstricks in org-mode?
@ 2009-09-30 22:30 Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2009-09-30 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,
I'm using org-mode to write LaTeX snippets that I later (usually) transfer
into a separate latex document.
Can I also write and preview pstricks code in org-mode?

Also, can I do "usepackage(xxx)" someway do use LaTeX extensions?

Best regards,
Johan

* Re: pstricks in org-mode?
@ 2009-10-01 11:55 ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]   ` <417457b50910011346o533328e6obcc5769295b214c6@mail.gmail.com>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-10-01 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Ekh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 1, 2009, at 12:30 AM, Johan Ekh wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm using org-mode to write LaTeX snippets that I later (usually)
> transfer into a separate latex document.
> Can I also write and preview pstricks code in org-mode?
>
> Also, can I do "usepackage(xxx)" someway do use LaTeX extensions?

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{pstricks}

or something along those lines.

HTH

- Carsten

* Re: pstricks in org-mode?
       [not found]   ` <417457b50910011346o533328e6obcc5769295b214c6@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-10-02 12:52     ` Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2009-10-02 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It seems that I can use any latex package that I want except for the
pstricks ones.
No picture is produced. No error message either. I load the same packages
and use the same
pstricks code that I have in a regular latex document (on the same computer)
and
it works in that document.

Any ideas?

//Johan

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Johan Ekh <ekh.johan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, I'll try it!
> /Johan
>

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>

>> On Oct 1, 2009, at 12:30 AM, Johan Ekh wrote:
>>
>>  Hi all,
>>> I'm using org-mode to write LaTeX snippets that I later (usually)
>>> transfer into a separate latex document.
>>> Can I also write and preview pstricks code in org-mode?
>>>
>>> Also, can I do "usepackage(xxx)" someway do use LaTeX extensions?
>>>

>> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{pstricks}
>>
>> or something along those lines.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> - Carsten

* Re: pstricks in org-mode?
@ 2009-10-02 13:28       ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2009-10-02 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Ekh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Remember that because pstricks use postscript commands it is necessary to take
the long route in latex (latex->DVI->PS->PDF) instead of just using
pdflatex. Therefore, if you put some pstricks code in the org-file and export to
PDF to see the result then this is the reason, since the exporter seems to use
pdflatex to process the generated .tex file (I'm assuming this, since I don't
see any DVI or PS file created by the exporter).

Best,
Darlan

At Fri, 2 Oct 2009 14:52:33 +0200,
Johan Ekh wrote:

> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; ISO-8859-1 (7bit)>]
> It seems that I can use any latex package that I want except for the
> pstricks ones.
> No picture is produced. No error message either. I load the same packages
> and use the same
> pstricks code that I have in a regular latex document (on the same computer)
> and
> it works in that document.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> //Johan
>
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Johan Ekh <ekh.johan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I'll try it!
> > /Johan
> >

> > On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> On Oct 1, 2009, at 12:30 AM, Johan Ekh wrote:
> >>
> >>  Hi all,

> >> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{pstricks}
> >>
> >> or something along those lines.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> - Carsten
> >>

> [1.2  <text/html; ISO-8859-1 (quoted-printable)>]
>
> [2  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]

* Re: pstricks in org-mode?
@ 2009-10-02 14:53         ` Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2009-10-02 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

But is pdflatex also used for rendering the previews in emacs? The most
convenient thing for me would
be to see the preview while I am developing the picture and then as a last
step export it to my latex document.

Do you this is possible somehow?

Best regards,
Johan

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira <darcamo@gmail.com

* Re: pstricks in org-mode?
@ 2009-10-02 18:34           ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
       [not found]             ` <417457b50910030128s64c8c6ecu2bcb55b1a5f27bf1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2009-10-02 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Ekh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

From the documentation it seems that org-mode uses dvipng.
[[info:org:LaTeX%20fragments][info:org:LaTeX fragments]]
But I don't know how it behaves with pstricks.

I usually create the graphics in a separated file when I'm working with
latex. It's a complete latex file with the necessary preamble that will be
later turned into comments when I'm finished and want to actually include the
graphic in my document. (using \input{graphic.tex})

When I'm working on it, Emacs occupies half of my screen (or more) and evince
occupies the other half. Whenever I compile the document (using pdflatex since I
use tikz to draw graphics) the pdf is automatically reloaded by evince. Since I
don't rely on the preview-latex for developing the graphics I don't know if it
works with tikz. I guess I'll give it a try.

I tried with the simple example
,----
| \begin{tikzpicture}
| \draw (0,0) -- (1,1);
| \end{tikzpicture}
`----
and it does not work. Only a little square is show in the Emacs buffer. Well,
this is expected since the package tikz is not included in the temporary .tex
file (and neither is pstricks as I could see).

After included the usepackage{tikz} in org-format-latex-header the preview is
"created". However nothing is show, since the graphic generated by tikz (and
pstricks) is not present at the DVI stage.

This seems to be a limitation of dvipng and not org-mode.

Darlan

@ 2009-10-05 17:29               ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2009-10-05 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Ekh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Even graphics made in tikz, that does not use postscript commands, do not appear
in DVI viewers. I haven't used the preview-latex with graphics in AucTeX, but if
it is able to view graphics made with pstricks, as it appears to be the case,
then maybe it is better to first investigate how preview-latex is able to do
this before searching for options to pass to dvipng in org-mode.

IMHO it would be even better if it was possible to use the original
preview-latex from AucTeX instead of reinventing the wheel.

Darlan

PS: Please, when answering E-Mails do not forget to also CC to the the org
mailing list.

@ 2009-10-05 17:57                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-10-05 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 5, 2009, at 7:29 PM, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:

> Even graphics made in tikz, that does not use postscript commands,
> do not appear
> in DVI viewers. I haven't used the preview-latex with graphics in
> AucTeX, but if
> it is able to view graphics made with pstricks, as it appears to be
> the case,
> then maybe it is better to first investigate how preview-latex is
> able to do
> this before searching for options to pass to dvipng in org-mode.
>
> IMHO it would be even better if it was possible to use the original
> preview-latex from AucTeX instead of reinventing the wheel.

:-)  I'd be happy to accept a patch!

- Carsten

@ 2009-10-08  8:32                   ` Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2009-10-08  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

preview-latex in AucTeX works really well I think. It would be nice to use
it in org-mode.
I'm not a lisp programmer. I would be happy to contribute to org-mode but I
need support.
Could someone point me in the right direction to start developing such a
patch?

Or, if someone more skilled than me would like to pick it up and just do it,
that would
be fine with me!

//Johan

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Carsten Dominik

@ 2009-10-08 10:25                     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-10-08 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johan Ekh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Oct 8, 2009, at 10:32 AM, Johan Ekh wrote:

> preview-latex in AucTeX works really well I think. It would be nice
> to use it in org-mode.
> I'm not a lisp programmer. I would be happy to contribute to org-
> mode but I need support.
> Could someone point me in the right direction to start developing
> such a patch?
>
> Or, if someone more skilled than me would like to pick it up and
> just do it, that would
> be fine with me!

I think you could start by investigating if it would be possible
to use preview-LaTeX in a file like an Org-mode file.  For this you
probably
need to ask on the AUCTeX mailing lists.

- Carsten

@ 2009-10-08 14:55                       ` Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2009-10-08 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

OK!
I'll report back.
/Johan

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Carsten Dominik

@ 2009-10-20 20:02                         ` Johan Ekh
From: Johan Ekh @ 2009-10-20 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode