* [BUG] Tab width in Org files must be 8, not 4 [9.7-pre  (release_9.6.13-995-g1d7297 @  /Users/michael/.config/emacs/straight/build/org/)]
@ 2023-12-18 16:03 Michael Dixon
From: Michael Dixon @ 2023-12-18 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

After a recent update, when I am editing a bulleted list (with an indent
of 2 spaces, like you can see in the Org manual), I get the following
error when I press <RET>, M-<RET>, etc.:

Tab width in Org files must be 8, not 4

This happens within any heading in which the bulleted list exists. If I
create a new heading, I can type text and paragraphs there with no
issue.

I just noticed this today, though I don't often use plain lists, so not
sure if it has been happening for longer.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 29.1 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin22.5.0, Carbon Version 169 AppKit 2299.6)
of 2023-08-12
Package: Org mode version 9.7-pre (release_9.6.13-995-g1d7297 @ /Users/michael/.config/emacs/straight/build/org/)

* Re: [BUG] Tab width in Org files must be 8, not 4 [9.7-pre (release_9.6.13-995-g1d7297 @ /Users/michael/.config/emacs/straight/build/org/)]
  2023-12-18 16:03 [BUG] Tab width in Org files must be 8, not 4 [9.7-pre (release_9.6.13-995-g1d7297 @ /Users/michael/.config/emacs/straight/build/org/)] Michael Dixon
@ 2023-12-18 17:10 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-12-18 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Dixon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Michael Dixon <dixius99@gmail.com> writes:

> After a recent update, when I am editing a bulleted list (with an indent
> of 2 spaces, like you can see in the Org manual), I get the following
> error when I press <RET>, M-<RET>, etc.:
>
> Tab width in Org files must be 8, not 4
>
> This happens within any heading in which the bulleted list exists. If I
> create a new heading, I can type text and paragraphs there with no
> issue.
>
> I just noticed this today, though I don't often use plain lists, so not
> sure if it has been happening for longer.

This is because you have non-standard tab-width setting.
See https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/tree/etc/ORG-NEWS#n36

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,