* How to reduce width of section separators in agenda view?
@ 2012-03-08 18:12 Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 2012-03-08 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I have an agenda view set up as an org-agenda-custom-command,

("H" "Office and Home Lists"
     ((agenda)
          (tags-todo "OFFICE")
          (tags-todo "HOME")
          (tags-todo "COMPUTER")))

This works fine, but I notice that each section of the agenda view is separated by a line of "=" signs 132 characters long, and when I print in portrait mode, these wrap onto the next line. How can I shorten these lines to only 80 characters wide?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Richard Stanton

* Re: How to reduce width of section separators in agenda view?
@ 2012-03-08 18:30 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-03-08 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stanton; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Richard Stanton <stanton@haas.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I have an agenda view set up as an org-agenda-custom-command,
>
> ("H" "Office and Home Lists"
>
>      ((agenda)
>
>           (tags-todo "OFFICE")
>
>           (tags-todo "HOME")
>
>           (tags-todo "COMPUTER")))
>
> This works fine, but I notice that each section of the agenda view is separated by a line of “=” signs 132 characters long, and when I print in portrait mode, these wrap onto the next line. How can I shorten these lines to only 80 characters wide?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Check out the variable org-agenda-block-separator. C-h v org-agenda-block-separator RET says:

,----
| org-agenda-block-separator is a variable defined in `org-agenda.el'.
| Its value is 61
|
| Documentation:
| The separator between blocks in the agenda.
| If this is a string, it will be used as the separator, with a newline added.
| If it is a character, it will be repeated to fill the window width.
| If nil the separator is disabled.  In `org-agenda-custom-commands' this
| addresses the separator between the current and the previous block.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

(61 is '=')

So you can customize it and set it to a string of your choice, or you
can display the block agenda in a window of width <= 80 chars and then
print the window. Both suggestions untested but I hope one or the other
or both work.

Nick

* Re: How to reduce width of section separators in agenda view?
@ 2012-03-08 21:57   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-03-08 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Richard Stanton, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Richard Stanton <stanton@haas.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> This works fine, but I notice that each section of the agenda view is separated by a line of “=” signs 132 characters long, and when I print in portrait mode, these wrap onto the next line. How can I shorten these lines to only 80 characters wide?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>

> Check out the variable org-agenda-block-separator. C-h v org-agenda-block-separator RET says:

Or just turn them off with org-agenda-compact-blocks.

Regards,
Bernt