Honestly, the sky is the limit. I agree with what everyone else is saying, it depends on the diagram, your skill level, comfort level, etc. Personally, I export to HTML, not LaTeX, plus I'm more old-school. I just use Perl w/GD to make many of my images. The PNG export is easily viewed/inserted into my .org files and I can include the code in my .org files as well if I choose. Point is, any programming language can also be used to generate images as well. Ditaa, PlantUML, GnuPlot, etc, help do the job faster for specific types of data/drawings. Anything outside the box (no pun intended), you need something more "arbitrary" like LibreDraw, GD, etc. On 10/04/2016 06:54 AM, Peter Davis wrote: > > On Tue, Oct 4, 2016, at 09:11 AM, Lawrence Bottorff wrote: >> I know lots of you use Emacs and org mode to prepare scholarly books >> and papers, either doing the HTML or, more probably, the Latex >> export. Question: Let's say I want to produce a math text with >> Emacs/org-mode/Latex. What is the best way to make diagrams and >> images? I've seen things like Inkscape and LibreOffice Draw. But then >> there is Gnuplot and Tikz. Yes, what Tikz does seems optimal, but the >> learning curve is a year's sabbatical. Just wondering what you people >> are using to do your images. > > I think it really depends on what kinds of diagrams and images you're > trying to use. I've been using embedded dot (GraphViz) diagrams with > org for a number of years, and I find it fantastically helpful for > things like graphs (nodes connected by arrows, optionally all > labelled), data structure diagrams, etc. ... the basic boxes and lines > kind of drawing. > > I also just discovered ditaa, which seems also good for boxes and > lines, but with more freedom (and more work to edit the input). > > I've also used PlantUML for modelling diagrams. > > I know others are using embedded R code to get data visualization > graphics automatically. > > This page gives some examples: > http://ehneilsen.net/notebook/orgExamples/org-examples.html. There > should be an authoritative page on graphics formats, but I'm not aware > of one. > > Most of these use separate packages to create the graphics, but there > are hooks in org to call the external programs and include the results > in the document. > > -pd > > -- > Peter Davis > www.techcurmudgeon.com >