* Feature Request: "Keeping me honest"
@ 2009-08-03 13:47 Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2009-08-03 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hi, I'm not sure how/if these are implemented or implementable.

* "Keeping Me honest"

  When i outline a project, sometimes there are points that are
  ambigiously stated. Being neither actions or titles, they can slip
  through the cracks. So i've been thinking of a feature that would be
  similar to the "stuck projects" indicator. This would be a set of
  words that would naturally follow a TODO or similar, to indicate
  that the title has some honesty to it. Its to enforce a kind of "GTD
  verb" in every actionalble outline title.

  Implementation wise, i was thinking this could be a word list
  associated with a todo or tag. That list would then be used to font
  lock the first word of an outline header. e.g.

  <wrong> * TODO foobar compatibility needed for something
    vs
  <right> * TODO change feature X of something so that it works with foobar

  Either the first word, and/or the whole line would be highlighted a
  different colour. GTD words are not the only use for a feature like
  this. It might be used to highlight that a bug ID is needed in a
  "FIXME" heading with a regexp "ID#[0-9]+" associated to the "keep me
  honest" field.

  Not sure where i picked this list up from but here are some example
  GTD words to test with:

*** "PROJECT" todo-type outline action verbs
Finalize, resolve, handle, look into, submit, maximize, organize,
design, complete, ensure, research, roll out, update, install,
implement, set-up

*** "TODO" todo-type next action verbs
Address, ask, avoid, buy, change, clarify, collect, commend confront,
consider, create, decide, defer, develop, discard, do again, download,
enter, file, follow up, hire, improve, increase, inform, inquire,
maintain, measure, monitor, order, paint, phone, prioritize, purchase,
question, reduce, remember, repair, reply, report, research, resolve,
review, schedule, sell, send, service, specify, start, stop, suggest,
tidy, train, update, upgrade, write.

Tim.

* RE: Feature Request: "Keeping me honest"
@ 2009-08-05  1:54 ` Jonathan Arkell
From: Jonathan Arkell @ 2009-08-05  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan, org-mode

This is a great idea!

I was thinking about something similar, but my ideal implementation would enforce more granular discipline:

If the user is on a TODO item and hits Enter, moves up or down, or sets the TODO state of the todo item (to a not done state), then the enforcer kicks in, and does a check against a list of known good and known bad words.  During this process a small buffer would pop up, showing the text of the TODO item and any errors that popped up.

This secondary buffer would have keybindings similar to the tags interface, TAB to edit the todo item directly to fix the problem and enter to accept it as is, and maybe alpha-numerics to enter keywords

If "bad" words show up in the todo item, then the enter key has a y/n confirmation behind it.  ("This TODO Item seems unactionable, are you sure you want to use it?")

What are bad words?  A project verb in a TODO keyword I would consider bad, but it should be customizable per keyword and per todo item.

A few options I can think of:
- Don't Process enforce if  the todo item has checkboxes in it
- Loose enforcement, don't bug the user at all, only use agenda functionality.
- Strict enforcement, don't let the user enter out of confirmation

I saw a similar list to the one you have on P218 of "Making it all Work" (David Allen)

Right now this is all sitting in my "Long term ideas for Org Mode" headline...  So I hope to get to it by the next decade. :p

[...]

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity named above or their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message.

* Re: Feature Request: "Keeping me honest"
@ 2009-09-21 14:22   ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2009-09-21 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Arkell; +Cc: org-mode

Below is my first attempt at this. It breaks normal org font-locking
though, my font-lock foo is not up to much at the moment. I'm sure its
something simple, but i cannot see it.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Tim.
----
(defface org-action
  '((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground "green" :underline t))
    (((class color) (background dark)) (:foreground "green" :underline t))
    (t (:underline t)))
  "Used by org-action-font to help distinguish good 'actionable' headlines.")

(defvar org-action-todo-keywords
  '("TODO" "NEXT")
  "org-action todo keywords to apply to action fonts to")

(defvar org-action-todo-highlight-words
  '("Address" "Ask" "Avoid" "Buy" "Change" "Clarify" "Collect"
"Commend" "Confront"
    "Consider" "Create" "Decide" "Defer" "Develop" "Discard" "Do
Again" "Download"
    "Enter" "File" "Follow Up" "Hire" "Improve" "Increase" "Inform" "Inquire"
    "Maintain" "Measure" "Monitor" "Order" "Paint" "Phone"
"Prioritize" "Purchase"
    "Question " "Reduce" "Remember" "Repair" "Reply" "Report"
"Research" "Resolve"
    "Review" "Schedule" "Sell" "Send" "Service" "Specify" "Start"
"Stop" "Suggest"
    "Tidy" "Train" "Update" "Upgrade" "Write")
    "org-action fontification keywords ")

(defun org-mode-action-hook ()
  "Initalise org-mode helper stuff."
  (interactive)
  (setq org-action-todo-keywords-regexp
        (concat "^\\*+[ 	]+" (regexp-opt org-action-todo-keywords 'words)
                "[ 	]+" (regexp-opt org-action-todo-highlight-words 'words)))
  (setq org-action-font-lock-keywords
        `(
          (,org-action-todo-keywords-regexp 2 org-action-face t)))

  (font-lock-add-keywords nil org-action-font-lock-keywords)
  )

;; Turn on 'keeping it honest' font locking.
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-mode-action-hook)

@ 2009-10-01  0:31     ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2009-10-01  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Attached is a working implementation of the idea.

So, in GTD each 'next action' is supposed to be an actual doable
thing to further the project it is associated with.

When creating next actions or project headlines there is sometimes
a tendency to use a heading that is a bit vague/undoable. This is
usually a sign that the task the headline represents needs more
thinking about and will probably need more than one next action or
spawn another project.

org-action-verbs was created to use a list of GTD 'action verbs' to
diagnose non-functional next action and project headlines. It searches
for headlines of a specific TODO type and checks to see if the first
word in the headline is specified as an action verb for that TODO
type. If not, then it highlights that first non actionable word.

Its a bit like flyspell mode but for checking doable org headlines.

To use put the following in your .emacs:
(require 'org-action-verbs)

To change the default TODO Type->Action Verb table you can set
'org-action-todo-verbs'. Below is an example. The first checks for the
right spaceship name associated with the 'SPACESHIP' TODO type, and
the right colour for the 'COLOR' and 'COLOUR' TODO types.

- note the Action verbs are case sensitive.

(setq org-action-todo-verbs
   '(
     (("SPACESHIP") . ("Challenger" "Voyager" "Enterprise" "Nostromo"
"Apollo" ))
     (("COLOUR" "COLOR") . ("Red" "Yellow" "Green" "Aquamarine" "Blue" "Black"))
     )

The current default mappings are based on David Allen's GTD verb list:

Verbs for the TODO types "TODO" and "NEXT" ->

Address Ask Avoid Buy Change Clarify Collect Commend
Confront Consider Create Decide Defer Develop Discard
Do Again Download Enter File Follow Up Hire Improve
Increase Inform Inquire Enquire Maintain Measure Monitor
Order Paint Phone Prioritize Prioritise Purchase
Question Reduce Remember Repair Reply Report Research
Resolve Review Schedule Sell Send Service Specify
Start Stop Suggest Tidy Train Update Upgrade Write

Verbs for the TODO type "PROJECT" ->
Finalize Finalise Resolve Handle Look-Into Submit Maximize Maximise
Organize Organise Design Complete Ensure Research Roll-Out Update
Install Implement Set-Up

Enjoy,

Tim.

[-- Attachment #2: org-action-verbs.el --]

* Re: Feature Request: "Keeping me honest"
@ 2009-10-01  2:29       ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2009-10-01  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Small update. Fixes the problem of the highlighting not disappearing
when headline is fixed.

- Still has some issues with removing highlighting when TODO becomes
something else.

- Added new default verbs:
TODO, NEXT -> Call, Email, Fix, Find, Fill out, Give, Print, Re-Do, Take
PROJECT -> Configure, Draft, Purge, Gather

Enjoy,

Tim.

[-- Attachment #2: org-action-verbs.el --]

* Re: [Orgmode] Feature Request: "Keeping me honest"
@ 2013-12-15 16:08         ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2013-12-15 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan; +Cc: org-mode

Hey Tim,

I realise this is from over 4 years ago, but I was wondering if you'd
made any progress with org-action-verbs since then?  It's a great idea
and IMHO worthy of being made into a package.

Cheers,
Adam

@ 2013-12-16 14:02           ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2013-12-16 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers; +Cc: org-mode

Hi Adam.

I still lurk on the org-mode list. I'm not using org as much as a TODO
system any more, mostly for publishing and notes, so I am not sure if
it works with the lates version of org.

Attached is the code, released for those that might find it of value.
It has not substantially changed in all that time. Its essentially an
extra highlighter aimed at org-mode nodes that have tags like todo and
project.

regards,

Tim.

On 15 December 2013 17:08, Adam Spiers <orgmode@adamspiers.org> wrote:
> Hey Tim,
>
> I realise this is from over 4 years ago, but I was wondering if you'd
> made any progress with org-action-verbs since then?  It's a great idea
> and IMHO worthy of being made into a package.
>
> Cheers,
> Adam
>
> On 1 October 2009 03:29, Tim O'Callaghan <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Small update. Fixes the problem of the highlighting not disappearing
>> when headline is fixed.
>>
>> - Still has some issues with removing highlighting when TODO becomes
>> something else.
>>
>> - Added new default verbs:
>> TODO, NEXT -> Call, Email, Fix, Find, Fill out, Give, Print, Re-Do, Take
>> PROJECT -> Configure, Draft, Purge, Gather
>>
>> Enjoy,
>>
>> Tim.

[-- Attachment #2: overbs.el --]
[-- Type: text/x-emacs-lisp, Size: 5516 bytes --]

;;; org-action-verbs.el --- Highlight potentially un-doable headlines.

;; Copyright (C) 2008 Tim O'Callaghan

;; Author: Tim O'Callaghan <timo@dspsrv.com>
;; Version: 0.1

;; This file is not currently part of GNU Emacs.

;; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
;; modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
;; published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at
;; your option) any later version.

;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
;; General Public License for more details.

;; along with this program ; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
;; the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
;; Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

;;; Commentary:

;; This is an implementation of an idea I had to keep me honest. In
;; GTD each 'next action' is supposed to be an actual do-able thing to
;; further the project it is associated with.

;; When creating next actions or project headlines there is sometimes
;; a tendancy to use a heading that is a bit vauge/un-doable. This is
;; usually a sign that the task the headline represents needs more
;; thinking about and will probably need more than one next action or
;; spawn another project.

;; org-action-verbs was created to use a list of GTD 'action verbs' to
;; diagnose a functional "Next Action" and project headline. It
;; searches for headlines of a specific TODO type and checks to see if
;; the next word is specified as an action verb. If not, then it
;; highlights the non actionable word. Kind of like flyspell mode.

;; To use you might put the following in your .emacs:
;;
;; (require 'org-action-verbs)
;;
;; To change the default TODO/Action verb table you can set
;; 'org-action-todo-verbs'. Below is an example
;; 'org-action-todo-verbs' The first checks for the right spaceship
;; name associated with the SPACESHIP todo type, and the right colour
;; for the COLOR/COLOUR todo type.

;;(setq org-action-todo-verbs
;;      '(
;;        (("SPACESHIP") . ("Challenger" "Voyager" "Enterprise" "Nostromo" "Apollo" ))
;;        (("COLOUR" "COLOR") . ("Red" "Yellow" "Green" "Aquamarine" "Blue" "Black"))
;;        )
;;
;;

(require 'org)

(defface org-action-incorrect-face
  '((((class color) (background light)) (:foreground "purple" :bold t :underline t))
    (((class color) (background dark)) (:foreground "purple" :bold t :underline t))
    (t (:bold t :underline t)))
  "Used by org-action-verbs to help mark bad 'un-doable' headlines.")

;; backward-compatibility alias
(put 'org-action-incorrect-face 'face-alias 'org-action-incorrect)

(defvar org-action-todo-verbs
  '(
    (("TODO" "NEXT") .
     ("Address" "Ask" "Avoid" "Buy" "Change" "Clarify" "Collect" "Commend" "Confront"
      "Consider" "Create" "Decide" "Defer" "Develop" "Discard" "Do Again" "Download"
      "Enter" "File" "Follow Up" "Hire" "Improve" "Increase" "Inform" "Inquire"
      "Maintain" "Measure" "Monitor" "Order" "Paint" "Phone" "Prioritize" "Purchase"
      "Question " "Reduce" "Remember" "Repair" "Reply" "Report" "Research" "Resolve"
      "Review" "Schedule" "Sell" "Send" "Service" "Specify" "Start" "Stop" "Suggest"
      "Tidy" "Train" "Update" "Upgrade" "Write"))
    (("PROJECT") .
     ("Finalize" "Resolve" "Handle" "Look-Into" "Submit" "Maximize" "Organize"
      "Design" "Complete" "Ensure" "Research" "Roll-Out" "Update" "Install"
      "Implement" "Set-Up"))
    )
  "org-action todo keywords to apply to incorrect action verb overlay to.")

(defun org-font-lock-add-action-faces (limit)
  "Add the special action word faces."
  (let (rtn a)
    ;; check variable is set, and buffer left to search
    (when (and (not rtn) org-action-todo-verbs)
      ;; for each todo/action verb set
      (dolist (todo org-action-todo-verbs)
        ;; build regexps
        (let ((todo-keywords-regexp
               (concat "^\\*+[ 	]+"
                       (regexp-opt (car todo) 'words)))
              (todo-action-verbs-regexp
               (concat "[ 	]+" (regexp-opt (cdr todo) 'words))))
          ;; while we can find a todo keyword
          (while (re-search-forward todo-keywords-regexp limit t)
            ;; check for action verb
            (if (looking-at todo-action-verbs-regexp)
                nil
              ;; not an action verb, reset match data to next word
              (if (looking-at "[ 	]+\\(\\<\\w\\w+\\>\\)")
                  ;; apply new overlay
                  (let ((overlay (make-overlay (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1) nil t nil)))
                    (overlay-put overlay 'face 'org-action-incorrect)
                    ;;(overlay-put overlay 'mouse-face mouse-face)
                    (overlay-put overlay 'org-action-overlay t)
                    (overlay-put overlay 'evaporate t)
                    (overlay-put overlay 'help-echo "mouse-2: correct word at point")
                    overlay)))
            ;; reset search point?
            (backward-char 1)))))
    rtn))

(defun org-mode-action-verbs-hook ()
  "Initalise org-action-verbs."
  (interactive)
  (font-lock-add-keywords nil '((org-font-lock-add-action-faces)))
  )

;; Turn on action verb font locking.
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-mode-action-verbs-hook)

(provide 'org-action-verbs)
;;; org-annotate-file.el ends here

* Re: [Orgmode] Feature Request: "Keeping me honest"
@ 2013-12-16 15:52             ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2013-12-16 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan; +Cc: org-mode

Thanks Tim.  Perhaps this could go in the contrib/lisp/ directory?

@ 2013-12-16 17:12               ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2013-12-16 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers; +Cc: org-mode

Fine by me.