* org-install.el in Emacs probably should be removed
@ 2009-02-15  7:50 Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-02-15  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

I just notice there is a dummy file in emacs/lisp/org. The use of this
file hides problems away for example if users install org to a dir that
is overshadowed by the lisp/org in emacs (this happen quite often to
newbies too). Two files with the same name but different content also
confuse other users.

I think for users using both standalone and included org versions, the
cleaner and better way is to use one of the following

  (load "org-install" t) or (require 'org-install nil t)

in their own .emacs files if they want to avoid error (we can put this
in the documentation). But I guess some will prefer emacs to throw an
error when that org-install that does autoloads is missing.

Pointing out the install procedure is only for installing standalone org
package is also sufficient.

Thus I propose we do away with this dummy file and keep the emacs
distribution clean.

Best,
--
.: Leo :. [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ] .: I use Emacs :.

* Re: org-install.el in Emacs probably should be removed
@ 2009-02-15 20:03 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-15 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 15, 2009, at 8:50 AM, Leo wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I just notice there is a dummy file in emacs/lisp/org. The use of this
> file hides problems away for example if users install org to a dir
> that
> is overshadowed by the lisp/org in emacs (this happen quite often to
> newbies too). Two files with the same name but different content also
> confuse other users.
>
> I think for users using both standalone and included org versions, the
> cleaner and better way is to use one of the following
>
>  (load "org-install" t) or (require 'org-install nil t)
>
> in their own .emacs files if they want to avoid error (we can put this
> in the documentation). But I guess some will prefer emacs to throw an
> error when that org-install that does autoloads is missing.
>
> Pointing out the install procedure is only for installing standalone
> org
> package is also sufficient.

This is what I have done extensively in the manual, but this has not
kept people from doing (require 'org) in .emacs.

I have been fighting hard to get people to use (require 'org-install),
so I did not want to punish them when they move to Emacs 23 and want
to use the Emacs version.  Admittedly, this is not very likely.

Also, I do want to keep the option that org-install will do more than
just install autoloads.

So while I don't have strong feelings about removing org-install
from Emacs again, I cannot really see the point either.

- Carsten

* Re: org-install.el in Emacs probably should be removed
@ 2009-02-15 22:18   ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2009-02-15 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

>  This is what I have done extensively in the manual, but this has not
>  kept people from doing (require 'org) in .emacs.
>
>  I have been fighting hard to get people to use (require 'org-install),
>  so I did not want to punish them when they move to Emacs 23 and want
>  to use the Emacs version.  Admittedly, this is not very likely.
>
>  Also, I do want to keep the option that org-install will do more than
>  just install autoloads.
>
>  So while I don't have strong feelings about removing org-install
>  from Emacs again, I cannot really see the point either.
>
>  - Carsten

The usage of org-install has the pre-requisite of having to compile
the org.el files. This is no use to people like myself, who want to
use the same .el files in XEmacs and Emacs due to incompatible .elc
problems. Its also no use to people who do no have a build system or
make binary installed e.g. windows users, locked down linux/unix
systems etc.

How about adding a skeleton org-install.el that gets overwritten by the make?

Tim.

* Re: org-install.el in Emacs probably should be removed
@ 2009-02-15 22:40     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-15 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan; +Cc: org-mode

On Feb 15, 2009, at 11:18 PM, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:

>> This is what I have done extensively in the manual, but this has not
>> kept people from doing (require 'org) in .emacs.
>>
>> I have been fighting hard to get people to use (require 'org-
>> install),
>> so I did not want to punish them when they move to Emacs 23 and want
>> to use the Emacs version.  Admittedly, this is not very likely.
>>
>> Also, I do want to keep the option that org-install will do more than
>> just install autoloads.
>>
>> So while I don't have strong feelings about removing org-install
>> from Emacs again, I cannot really see the point either.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> The usage of org-install has the pre-requisite of having to compile
> the org.el files. This is no use to people like myself, who want to
> use the same .el files in XEmacs and Emacs due to incompatible .elc
> problems. Its also no use to people who do no have a build system or
> make binary installed e.g. windows users, locked down linux/unix
> systems etc.
>
> How about adding a skeleton org-install.el that gets overwritten by
> the make?

org-install.el is part of the distribution tar and zip files.
I cannot include it into the git repo because the git people tell
me that it is a bad idea to keep a product file under git
control (Bernt?).

The fact that producing org-install.el triggers some code
compilation (org org.el, to be exact, the others are compiled
because org.el depends on them) is a bug that I do not
understand - any make gurus around here who can sort this out?

If you have a system without make, then you should probably
not rely on the git distribution, but rather on the
snapshots.

- Carsten

* Re: org-install.el in Emacs probably should be removed
@ 2009-02-16  3:32       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-02-16  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Feb 15, 2009, at 11:18 PM, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:
>
>> The usage of org-install has the pre-requisite of having to compile
>> the org.el files. This is no use to people like myself, who want to
>> use the same .el files in XEmacs and Emacs due to incompatible .elc
>> problems. Its also no use to people who do no have a build system or
>> make binary installed e.g. windows users, locked down linux/unix
>> systems etc.
>>
>> How about adding a skeleton org-install.el that gets overwritten by
>> the make?
>
> org-install.el is part of the distribution tar and zip files.
> I cannot include it into the git repo because the git people tell
> me that it is a bad idea to keep a product file under git
> control (Bernt?).

The main reason this is a bad idea in git master branch is that the file
gets automatic changes on different systems and looks modified after
each time you run make.  This file gets in the way of other (real)
changes since git thinks the working tree is dirty and prevents changing
branches, rebasing, or merging with a dirty tree.  The contents of the
org-install.el file are uninteresting and really does not belong in the
tracked files for the project since it is a product of the build
procedure.

If you want a skeleton org-install.el in the tar/zip files then you
probably should generate that when producing the tar/zip files.

-Bernt

* Re: org-install.el in Emacs probably should be removed
@ 2009-02-24 15:38         ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2009-02-24 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: org-mode