* Problem with ascii export + possible useful search.
@ 2007-06-15 13:26 Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2007-06-15 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

It seems that under Xemacs the ascii export just appends the new
export to the contents of the old export. If you have the old export
buffer open already then it inserts the new export into the old file
at the cursor.

The useful search i have started using, is similar to the GTD stuck
projects one. The search produces a view of stuck to-dos. That is a
list of todos that have been designated without a context. At the
moment i am using something like this in my
org-agenda-custom-commands:
("-" tags-todo "-study@-file@-appointment@-find@-@comp-@zangband-@online-email@-research@-contact@-plan@-read@-errand@-appointment@-buy@-15min@-30min@-60min@/X"
nil "")

where "X" is what i use to denote a TODO entry.

Cheers,

Tim.

* Re: Problem with ascii export + possible useful search.
@ 2007-06-19  4:15 ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]   ` <3d6808890706190543o74c0b599x83a9fa6bd4c8f7ef@mail.gmail.com>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-19  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 15, 2007, at 15:26, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that under Xemacs the ascii export just appends the new
> export to the contents of the old export. If you have the old export
> buffer open already then it inserts the new export into the old file
> at the cursor.

I am not able to reproduce this.  Anyone?

> The useful search i have started using, is similar to the GTD stuck
> projects one. The search produces a view of stuck to-dos. That is a
> list of todos that have been designated without a context. At the
> moment i am using something like this in my
> org-agenda-custom-commands:
> ("-" tags-todo
> "-study@-file@-appointment@-find@-@comp-@zangband-@online-email@-
> research@-contact@-plan@-read@-errand@-appointment@-buy@-15min@
> -30min@-60min@/X"
> nil "")
>
> where "X" is what i use to denote a TODO entry.

Nice!  Does this contain all your tags, or only a selection?
You might be able to write this using a regular expression.

- Carsten

> Cheers,
>
> Tim.

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

@ 2007-06-19 12:44     ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2007-06-19 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 19/06/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2007, at 15:26, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > It seems that under Xemacs the ascii export just appends the new
> > export to the contents of the old export. If you have the old export
> > buffer open already then it inserts the new export into the old file
> > at the cursor.
>
> I am not able to reproduce this.  Anyone?

After some more investigation, i think it has to do with the
buffer/file not being erased before the ascii is rendered. It works
for html export, it does not for txt export. Not sure why this should
be, the code i looked at seems to try to clear the buffer.

Latest org mode, Xemacs for windows native: 21.4 (patch 19) \"Constant
Variable\" XEmacs Lucid

> > The useful search i have started using, is similar to the GTD stuck
> > projects one. The search produces a view of stuck to-dos. That is a
> > list of todos that have been designated without a context. At the
> > moment i am using something like this in my
> > org-agenda-custom-commands:
> > ("-" tags-todo
> > "-study@-file@-appointment@-find@-@comp-@zangband-@online-email@-
> > research@-contact@-plan@-read@-errand@-appointment@-buy@-15min@
> > -30min@-60min@/X"
> > nil "")
> >
> > where "X" is what i use to denote a TODO entry.
>
> Nice!  Does this contain all your tags, or only a selection?
> You might be able to write this using a regular expression.

only a selection. I use 5 groups of tags for active projects.
The first group just contains @proj - the active projcet tag. This  is
used with the second group <@home|@work> which are inherited by all of
the active projects in the two huge org files i use for home and work.
The last three groups are generally @<physical context group> ,
<activity context group>@, and <possible duration context>@ which i
combine depending on the task.

I did think of a regular expression, the docs mention its possible,and
give a small example, but i  couldn't get it to do what i wanted
straight away, and didn't want to spend the time figuring it out. I
considered suggesting a group name/selection type, but it seemed a bit
fiddly.

Tim.