* Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-02 14:06 Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2007-04-02 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, i have been playing with org-agenda-custom-commands, and it got me
thinking.

What about adding the generated searches as a publishable source?
possibly  by adding to
org-agenda-custom-commands.
e.g.:
(setq org-agenda-custom-commands

'(("w" todo "WAITING" "Waiting_list_summary.html" publish-html)
("W" todo-tree "WAITING" "Waiting_list_full.html" publish-html))

regards,

Tim.

* Re: Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-05  9:23 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-04-05  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Tim O'Callaghan" <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, i have been playing with org-agenda-custom-commands, and it got me
> thinking.
>
> What about adding the generated searches as a publishable source?

Yes, i also think that would be useful.

--
Bastien

* Re: Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-05 10:03   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-04-05 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-04-05, Bastien said:

> "Tim O'Callaghan" <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi, i have been playing with org-agenda-custom-commands, and it got
>> me thinking.
>>
>> What about adding the generated searches as a publishable source?
>
> Yes, i also think that would be useful.

I also like this.

* Re: Re: Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-05 16:56     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-05 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 5, 2007, at 12:03, Leo wrote:

> On 2007-04-05, Bastien said:
>
>> "Tim O'Callaghan" <tim.ocallaghan@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi, i have been playing with org-agenda-custom-commands, and it got
>>> me thinking.
>>>
>>> What about adding the generated searches as a publishable source?
>>
>> Yes, i also think that would be useful.
>
> I also like this.

Obviously everyone except me understands exactly what Tim is proposing.
Would someone like to explain it to me :-) ????

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-05 18:25       ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2007-04-05 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Leo

I think this means being able to publish static HTML from the various
views given by the agenda. So for example you could set up a timer to
publish your agenda each day (assuming you run emacs for months like I
do) and then if you are away from home, check your website to see the
HTML agenda. Might require some changes in org-publish, if so I'd be
happy to make them. I regret being a bit "out of touch" with the org
community these last few months and I'd like to be more involved
again. Org is Great :-)

@ 2007-04-05 18:37       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-04-05 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-04-05, Carsten Dominik said:

>>> Yes, i also think that would be useful.
>>
>> I also like this.
>
> Obviously everyone except me understands exactly what Tim is
> proposing. Would someone like to explain it to me :-) ????
>
> - Carsten

This boils down to making org agenda buffers publishable, for example,
in the scenario of GTD, users might want to publish/print the buffer
brought up by "C-c a a" or "C-c a t" using the already existent
facility ORG-EXPORT, which seems to me can only handle .org files.

Best,

* Re: Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-05 18:40         ` Leo
       [not found]           ` <3d6808890704051213i1a3bc737wfa715f4b7f2f0c25@mail.gmail.com>
From: Leo @ 2007-04-05 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: David O'Toole

On 2007-04-05, David O'Toole said:

> I think this means being able to publish static HTML from the
> various views given by the agenda.

Yes, that's it!

@ 2007-04-05 19:29             ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2007-04-05 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Yes thats exactly what i meant. I know there is an ascii mechanism
using emacs in batch mode mentioned in the manual, but it is only
text, and i could not get it to work properly under Xemacs for
windows.

I see it as a kind of merge of agenda and publish. I have been playing
with a cut/paste keyboard macro that does a basic ascii publish and i
thought others may be interested in the idea.

Tim.

* Re: Re: Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-05 20:56         ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-04-05 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"David O'Toole" <dto@gnu.org> writes:

> I think this means being able to publish static HTML from the various
> views given by the agenda. So for example you could set up a timer to
> publish your agenda each day (assuming you run emacs for months like I
> do) and then if you are away from home, check your website to see the
> HTML agenda.

Even taking the fancy publishing and timer stuff out of it, it would
be actually quite useful to be able just to export to html (or
whatever other target).   For example, to produce printed context
lists for away-from-the-computer contexts.

I can forsee it being difficult for people to agree on what HTML
output would be a suitable representation of an org agenda buffer,
though...

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Re: Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-11  9:09           ` chris
From: chris @ 2007-04-11  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 05/04/07, Jason F. McBrayer <jmcbray@carcosa.net> wrote:

> "David O'Toole" <dto@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I think this means being able to publish static HTML from the various
> > views given by the agenda. So for example you could set up a timer to
> > publish your agenda each day (assuming you run emacs for months like I
> > do) and then if you are away from home, check your website to see the
> > HTML agenda.
>
> Even taking the fancy publishing and timer stuff out of it, it would
> be actually quite useful to be able just to export to html (or
> whatever other target).   For example, to produce printed context
> lists for away-from-the-computer contexts.
>
> So, this is a function I use to htmlize the agenda buffer.  Very basic,
but works for me to be able to see my TODOs away from my desktop

(defun cw-print-agenda ()
  "htmlize org-mode's agenda"
  (interactive
"P")

  (require
'htmlize)

  (let ((todo-buffer "*Org
Agenda*"))
    (org-todo-list
0)

    (set-buffer
(htmlize-buffer))

    (write-file
"~/public_html/Todo.html")

(kill-this-buffer)

    (kill-buffer todo-buffer)))

Then I have a cron job to copy that to an external web server.

hth, C.

* Re: Re: Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-11 11:01             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-04-11 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

chris <crassshed@gmail.com> writes:

> So, this is a function I use to htmlize the agenda buffer.  Very basic,
> but works for me to be able to see my TODOs away from my desktop
>
> (defun cw-print-agenda ()
>   "htmlize org-mode's agenda"
>   (interactive "P")
>   (require 'htmlize)
>   (let ((todo-buffer "*Org Agenda*"))
>     (org-todo-list 0)
>     (set-buffer (htmlize-buffer))
>     (write-file "~/public_html/Todo.html")
>     (kill-this-buffer)
>     (kill-buffer todo-buffer)))

I guess (interactive "P") should be (interactive) only, and (org-todo-list
0) should be replaced by something like (org-todo-list "TODO") since 4.70.

Nice use of htmlize though!

--
Bastien

* Re: Re: Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-11 12:38               ` chris
From: chris @ 2007-04-11 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I guess (interactive "P") should be (interactive) only, and (org-todo-list
> 0) should be replaced by something like (org-todo-list "TODO") since 4.70.

I really do need to learn better lisp, and, yes, my org-mode is quite out of
date.  Thanks for the tips!  C.

* Re: Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-11 14:00             ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-04-11 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-04-11, chris said:

>     Even taking the fancy publishing and timer stuff out of it, it would
>     be actually quite useful to be able just to export to html (or
>     whatever other target).   For example, to produce printed context
>     lists for away-from-the-computer contexts.
>
> So, this is a function I use to htmlize the agenda buffer.  Very
> basic, but works for me to be able to see my TODOs away from my
> desktop
[...]

This doesn't make efficient use of what is already in org i.e. the org
publishing tools. For now, I use ps-print-buffer to export to ps files
and then pdf files.

* publish archives
@ 2007-04-11 20:26                 ` François Lagarde
From: François Lagarde @ 2007-04-11 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I meet troubles to publish org archives files. I am certainly wrong but can't
see my mistake..

My archives files are located into a archive directory.

In my org-publish-project-alist I created the following inputs:
       ("org" ... )
       ("archive" :base-directory "~/documents/org/archive/"
                     :base-extension "orgarchive"
                     :with-section-numbers t
                     :archived-trees t
                     :headline-levels t
                     :publishing-directory "~/public_html/org/archive"
                     :table-of-contents t)

I can publish my org project, but none of my archive file. I thought that one of
the reason was the extension (previously org_archive), but I renamed the
archives and changed the base-extension without success...

any helps is welcome.

--
François Lagarde

* Re: Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-23 20:39 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-23 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 2, 2007, at 16:06, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:

> Hi, i have been playing with org-agenda-custom-commands, and it got me
> thinking.
>
> What about adding the generated searches as a publishable source?
> possibly  by adding to
> org-agenda-custom-commands.
> e.g.:
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>
> '(("w" todo "WAITING" "Waiting_list_summary.html" publish-html)
> ("W" todo-tree "WAITING" "Waiting_list_full.html" publish-html))

Would htmlize be enough to publish this, or do people have more fancy
ideas about how this should work?

- Carsten

* Re: Idea: Agenda Search publish?
@ 2007-04-24 17:51   ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-04-24 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Apr 2, 2007, at 16:06, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:
>> What about adding the generated searches as a publishable source?
>> possibly  by adding to
>> org-agenda-custom-commands.
>
> Would htmlize be enough to publish this, or do people have more fancy
> ideas about how this should work?

I'm a bit of mixed minds on this topic.

Unrealistic wishful thinking that I should implement my damn-self:

    Tag searches are always contexts for me.  If I want to export the
    results of a tag search, it's probably because I want to print a
    context that is not @Computer and put it in my planner.  The
    output ought to be something that eventually yields a PDF file
    that looks like a DIY Planner (http://www.diyplanner.com/) context
    page.

    Likewise, daily/weekly agenda views ought to yield DIY Planner-ish
    calendar pages.

    This is a totally non-serious proposal, because I expect anyone to
    have completely different preferences for from me, and it's not
    worth anyone else's time to implement exactly what I want :)

 Totally realistic, requires little work for anyone:

    Provide a utility function for calling htmlize on the agenda
    buffer and saving the results; doesn't need to be more integrated
    than that.  You can then generate somewhat naff PDFs which are at
    least the right paper size and so forth by printing from a web
    browser.

Alternative idea:

    Many people seem to be using scripts (orgna.pl, for example) to do
    this kind of thing, which seems to be perfectly reasonable.  Maybe
    a good idea would be to make it easier for scripts by letting
    org-mode handle the logic of selecting things, then just feeding
    the data to the script in a sensible format?

    org-batch-agenda /very nearly/ does this.  I think it could be
    improved as an adjunct to external script-writing by providing two
    things:

    1. An unambiguously parseable output format with some semantic
       content.  An XML microformat would do dandy for this, but
       something like adequately-escaped comma-separated text with
       defined columns for category, status, title, and tags would
       also do well enough.

    2. Support for arbitrary tag/keyword searches, though continued
       support for cmd-keys from org-agenda-custom-commands would
       still be conveient.

Anyone else's thoughts?

@ 2007-04-25 21:21   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-04-25 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

----- Carsten Dominik (2007-04-23) wrote:-----

> Would htmlize be enough to publish this, or do people have more fancy
> ideas about how this should work?
>
> - Carsten

I will give a wild guess.

Can it be done like this, treat each line in agenda buffer as a heading
and use the `export' functionality to publish it ;)