* community writing?
@ 2007-06-08 13:18 David O'Toole
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David O'Toole @ 2007-06-08 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I notice the planner world has some pages where they discuss the
various ways people use planner. I think it would be cool for us to
collectively post some org-mode usage strategies, perhaps on an
emacswiki page.

Or, people could prepare a small .org file and send it to me, and I
could paste it into a page of my site. it could be a collaboratively
written "Org-Mode Strategy and Tactics"

If anyone enjoys this, I'll get started by writing my own entry.

--
David O'Toole
dto@gnu.org

* Re: community writing?
@ 2007-06-08 14:21 ` Rick Moynihan
From: Rick Moynihan @ 2007-06-08 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David O'Toole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think this is a great idea.  My use of org-mode is improving, but I'm
not yet 100% comfortable with it.  I recently refactored how I have been
using org-mode; and I'm not there yet.

There's no question that org-mode is a fantastic tool for organising
yourself.  Its power comes from it not imposing a structure or workflow
on you.  Unfortunately; this means that it takes commitment and time
before you become proficient.  When you have a small system going in
org-mode you can get away with mistakes, unfortunately as you add more
information it gets harder if the structures you've defined don't scale.

The various org-mode guides out there are a great start, but I like you
think we need something more.  I'd also be interested in seeing the
pro's and con's to the various org-mode tools, e.g. KEYWORDS, TAGS,
OUTLINES, and patterns suited to their usage etc...

David O'Toole wrote:
> I notice the planner world has some pages where they discuss the
> various ways people use planner. I think it would be cool for us to
> collectively post some org-mode usage strategies, perhaps on an
> emacswiki page.
>
> Or, people could prepare a small .org file and send it to me, and I
> could paste it into a page of my site. it could be a collaboratively
> written "Org-Mode Strategy and Tactics"
>
> If anyone enjoys this, I'll get started by writing my own entry.

--
Rick Moynihan
Software Engineer
Calico Jack LTD
http://www.calicojack.co.uk/

* Re: community writing?
@ 2007-06-08 16:41 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-06-08 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David O'Toole <dto@gnu.org> writes:

> Or, people could prepare a small .org file and send it to me, and I
> could paste it into a page of my site. it could be a collaboratively
> written "Org-Mode Strategy and Tactics"

Good idea!  Doing this (at least in french) has been waiting on my
todo-org-list for ages :)

--
Bastien

* Re: community writing?
@ 2007-06-08 16:43   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-06-08 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rick Moynihan <rick@calicojack.co.uk> writes:

> The various org-mode guides out there are a great start, but I like
> you think we need something more.  I'd also be interested in seeing
> the pro's and con's to the various org-mode tools, e.g. KEYWORDS,
> TAGS, OUTLINES, and patterns suited to their usage etc...

Maybe a big table with various org functionalities and annotations
regarding them (pros/cons/best context of use/etc.) would be nice.

--
Bastien

* Re: community writing?
@ 2007-06-09 18:39 ` Piotr Zielinski
From: Piotr Zielinski @ 2007-06-09 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David O'Toole; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes.  If you could start an org-mode wiki page, please do.  Over time,
I've written some org-related scripts and elisp code, which I'd like
to share.

Thanks,
Piotr

On 08/06/07, David O'Toole <dto@gnu.org> wrote:

> I notice the planner world has some pages where they discuss the
> various ways people use planner. I think it would be cool for us to
> collectively post some org-mode usage strategies, perhaps on an
> emacswiki page.
>
> Or, people could prepare a small .org file and send it to me, and I
> could paste it into a page of my site. it could be a collaboratively
> written "Org-Mode Strategy and Tactics"
>
> If anyone enjoys this, I'll get started by writing my own entry.
>
> --
> David O'Toole
> dto@gnu.org
> http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/

Piotr Zielinski, Research Associate
Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge, UK
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pz215/