* Dates in headlines
@ 2022-06-28  9:06 Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-06-28  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

I think I've read somewhere that it is a "bad practice" to use dates in
headlines, is it correct? I haven't found it in the manual.

Like:

**** <2022-06-29 mi. 10:30> Meeting

Best regards

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2022-08-16 17:45 Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-08-16 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: samologist, Org-mode

I found it again:

"If the headline contains a timestamp, it is removed from the link,
which results in a wrong link—you should avoid putting a timestamp in
the headline."

https://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-Links.html#FOOT28

> this iirc has been obsolete for many years and ime and on ml never was
> an issue.  i tried to find out why it was mentioned but did not find
> anything.  it might have been an ambiguity in the manual to do with
> active tses like in your example?  e.g. the agenda will remove the
> active ts at least in certain cases, but that is a deliberate feature.
>
> i successfully rely on inactive as below.  they are sorted by the ts.
> a capture template inserts them.
>
> much better than date trees for my case.  always show, sorted at
> bottom, no hierarchy, nothing out of sync, can scan and bisect to find
> an entry or get a sense of number, can change a ts and sort again,
> looks the same in the agenda, etc.
>

> ***** LOG [2021-07-01 Thu] vulcans mediating with klingons
> ***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] brawl.  scottie of course :(.
> ***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] hauled away AS garbage?
> ***** LOG [2021-06-28 Mon 15:44] klingons said garbage scow
>

> On 6/28/22, Ypo<ypuntot@gmail.com>  wrote:
> >/I think I've read somewhere that it is a "bad practice" to use dates in/
> >/headlines, is it correct? I haven't found it in the manual./
> >
> >/Like:/
> >
> >/**** <2022-06-29 mi. 10:30> Meeting/
> >
> >/Best regards/
> >
> *From*: 	Samuel Wales
> *Subject*: 	Re: Dates in headlines
> *Date*: 	Tue, 28 Jun 2022 16:23:02 -0700

* Re: Dates in headlines
@ 2023-01-28  8:12 Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-01-28  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 19/08/2022 12:58, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Ypo writes:
>
>> I found it again:
>>
>> "If the headline contains a timestamp, it is removed from the link,
>> which results in a wrong link—you should avoid putting a timestamp in
>> the headline."
>>
>> https://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-Links.html#FOOT28
>
> Unless I miss something, this footnote is plain wrong. The timestamps
> are not removed. At least not when I run M-x org-store-link on a
> headline with timestamp with emacs -Q.

I have realized that "first wins" parsing principle (consider +a =b+
c*d=) may mean a problem for timestamp at the end of link text. So

     [[file:test.txt][Test [2023-01-28 Sat]]]

requires a zero-width space after the bracket closing the timestamp. The
same is applicable to fuzzy link to headings. So either

     [[*Heading \[2023-01-28 Sat\]][Heading [2023-01-28 Sat]​]]

or

     [[*Heading \[2023-01-28 Sat\]]]

should be used. `org-insert-link' handles it correctly, but when typing
links from keyboard, users should be aware of such kind of pitfall. So
timestamps in headings may be source of some inconvenience.

May it happen that in some old Org version timestamps at the end of
headings were removed due by code intended to handle statistics cookie
[1/10]?