From: Philipp Kiefer <phil.kiefer@gmail.com>
To: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [FR] Add C-u and C-u C-u prefix arguments to org-paste-subtree (was: Make org-paste-subtree more predictable and useful)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 20:27:10 +0100	[thread overview]

On 20.01.2023 11:21, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Philipp Kiefer <phil.kiefer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Further, you suggest I use C-S-<right> to demote the subtree after
>> pasting it at the same level as the subtree at point. But what if I used
>> a numerical prefix argument to copy or cut several subtrees, maybe 5 or
>> 10? Not very convenient at all to demote them all by hand...
>>
>> I still hold that pasting headings / subtress either at the same level
>> or at the child level of the target heading is part of the bread and
>> butter of outline editing and should be as straightforward as possible.
>> I'm rather sure the current numeric prefixes of org-paste-subtree to
>> select a distinct level at which to paste are needed / used much less
>> frequently than a "paste at child level" prefix (maybe C-u C-u?) would
>> be if it was implemented.
> Could you please provide concrete ideas what C-u/C-u C-u should do?
> In particular, how it will interact with point located at heading,
> at heading beginning, at empty heading, or inside a heading section.
To be honest, I don't see much need for fine-grained special cases. I'd
be very happy with C-u yanking at the level of the heading at point and
C-u C-u yanking at one level below that, regardless of the exact
position of point. I realize that would mean C-u doubling what can
already be done by calling org-paste-subtree with point at the beginning
of a heading but accessing both options (paste as sibling or child) with
a single or repeat C-u seems more consistent to me than having one
depend on position and getting at the other via the command prefix.

Thanks a lot for your dedication in working on this!