* Specifying shells for remote ob-shell sessions?
@ 2021-06-24 23:15 David Dynerman
From: David Dynerman @ 2021-06-24 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Org Mode Friends,

I’m having some trouble getting the shell I want to run on remote hosts in session ob-shell blocks - it seems that no matter what shell I specify, session blocks will always run /bin/sh. I’m not sure if this is an org or tramp configuration issue on my end, or a bug in org.

I’m pasting a snippet that reproduces the behavior in emacs -Q below. Does anyone have an inkling if this is a bug, or, alternatively, suggestions for how I can run remote ob-shell sessions with the shell of my choice?

Thank you,
David

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (require 'ob-shell)
  (emacs-version)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0, Carbon Version 158 AppKit 1561.6)
:  of 2021-05-20

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (org-version)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: 9.4.4

#+BEGIN_SRC zsh :dir /ssh:remote-host:/home/ubuntu
    echo $0
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: zsh

#+BEGIN_SRC zsh :dir /ssh:remote-host:/home/ubuntu :session foobar
echo $0
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
|           |
| $ /bin/sh |

* Re: Specifying shells for remote ob-shell sessions?
@ 2021-06-25  5:45 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-06-25  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Dynerman <emperordali@block-party.net> writes:

> Dear Org Mode Friends,
>
> I’m having some trouble getting the shell I want to run on remote hosts in
> session ob-shell blocks - it seems that no matter what shell I specify, session
> blocks will always run /bin/sh. I’m not sure if this is an org or tramp
> configuration issue on my end, or a bug in org.
>
> I’m pasting a snippet that reproduces the behavior in emacs -Q below. Does
> anyone have an inkling if this is a bug, or, alternatively, suggestions for how
> I can run remote ob-shell sessions with the shell of my choice?
>
> Thank you,
> David
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   (require 'ob-shell)
>   (emacs-version)
> #+END_SRC
>

> #+RESULTS:
> : GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.7.0, Carbon Version 158 AppKit 1561.6)
> :  of 2021-05-20
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   (org-version)
> #+END_SRC
>

> #+RESULTS:
> : 9.4.4
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC zsh :dir /ssh:remote-host:/home/ubuntu
>     echo $0
> #+END_SRC
>

> #+RESULTS:
> : zsh
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC zsh :dir /ssh:remote-host:/home/ubuntu :session foobar
> echo $0
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> |           |
> | $ /bin/sh |

This is just some wild guess work, so may be completely wrong ....

I don't think it is a bug. The ob-shell library doesn't really know
anything about remote - the fact you can execute things remotely is just
part of the underlying Emacs tramp support.

As far as I know, the shell you get in the remote login is determined by
the remote host i.e. in the /etc/passwd file of the remote user account
(for login shells) and /bin/sh if ssh is just being called to execute a
command. In your case, because your calling echo $0 it is executed with
/bin/sh

 I would start with tramp and try to configure it to execute commands
 using zsh. The ob-shell library isn't really aware of 'remote' - it is
 just calling tramp based on the path you provide, which is why I think
 tramp is a good place to start. If this cannot be easily done, look at the ssh manual and
 see if you can do this via a ~/.ssh/rc file on the remote host.

If you cannot find a way to configure tramp, perhaps try working out how
to just execute commands over ssh in a specific shell, like zsh. I
suspect once you work out how to do this with plain ssh, you may see a
way to configure tramp to do the same.

A final solution would be to just add a call to zsh in your source block
before the rest of what you want to run.

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Specifying shells for remote ob-shell sessions?
@ 2021-06-25  7:18 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2021-06-25  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Dynerman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    David> Dear Org Mode Friends,
    David> I’m having some trouble getting the shell I want to run on remote
    David> hosts in session ob-shell blocks - it seems that no matter what shell
    David> I specify, session blocks will always run /bin/sh. I’m not sure if
    David> this is an org or tramp configuration issue on my end, or a bug in
    David> org.

Tramp will always use /bin/sh on the remote host, unless you tell it
not to.

See (info "(tramp) Remote shell setup") for how to override that (I
donʼt remember offhand if /ssh: supports overriding, otherwise you can
switch to /sshx: which definitely does)

Robert