* Org Table Export to Markdown Table Question
@ 2014-01-08 20:41 Aric
From: Aric @ 2014-01-08 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I am trying to use org-mode now with R code in it to write manuscripts. That
does unfortunately mean that it must be eventually exported to some doc
format. I have been able to export to markdown and everything looks good in
markdown (even previewed on github) with the exception of latex code which is
not converted. However, using pandoc to convert the markdown to docx, the
tables are not converted properly (all a single column).

I realize this is a pandoc problem, but since markdown supports tables, is it
possible to have Org export the tables into markdown as markdown tables
rather than html tables? Also, is there a way for latex code to be converted
prior to markdown export?

Thanks, Aric

* Re: Org Table Export to Markdown Table Question
@ 2014-01-09  7:44 ` vilibald
From: vilibald @ 2014-01-09  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aric; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I realize this is a pandoc problem, but since markdown supports tables, is
> it
> possible to have Org export the tables into markdown as markdown tables
> rather than html tables? Also, is there a way for latex code to be
> converted
> prior to markdown export?
>
> Thanks, Aric

Hi Aric,
AFAIK md export doesn't support tables as the original Markdown is not
mentioning them, so unfortunately org-mode will not help you at the moment
unless you are up for bit of elisp programming to get these Markdown
extensions working.
As for the latex code, I'm not sure what you'd like to achieve, you want
the latex code to be converted to what?

Have a nice day
Vilibald

* Re: Org Table Export to Markdown Table Question
@ 2014-01-09 16:58 ` Rick Frankel
From: Rick Frankel @ 2014-01-09 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aric; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-01-08 15:41, Aric wrote:
> I am trying to use org-mode now with R code in it to write manuscripts.
> That
> does unfortunately mean that it must be eventually exported to some doc
> format. I have been able to export to markdown and everything looks
> good in
> markdown (even previewed on github) with the exception of latex code
> which is
> not converted. However, using pandoc to convert the markdown to docx,
> the
> tables are not converted properly (all a single column).

I'm not sure why you are using markdown as an intermediate file
format. Org will export to latex, pdf (via latex) and openoffice odt
(which can be exported from open/libre office to doc/docx.).

Both the above exporters are much more mature that the markdown
exporter.

rick

* Re: Org Table Export to Markdown Table Question
@ 2014-01-09 17:14   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-01-09 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Frankel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Aric

Hello,

Rick Frankel <rick@rickster.com> writes:

> On 2014-01-08 15:41, Aric wrote:
>> I am trying to use org-mode now with R code in it to write
>> manuscripts. That
>> does unfortunately mean that it must be eventually exported to some doc
>> format. I have been able to export to markdown and everything looks
>> good in
>> markdown (even previewed on github) with the exception of latex code
>> which is
>> not converted. However, using pandoc to convert the markdown to
>> docx, the
>> tables are not converted properly (all a single column).
>
> I'm not sure why you are using markdown as an intermediate file
> format. Org will export to latex, pdf (via latex) and openoffice odt
> (which can be exported from open/libre office to doc/docx.).
>
> Both the above exporters are much more mature that the markdown
> exporter.

BTW, Markdown export back-end turns tables into raw HTML code, which,
AFAIK, is allowed in Markdown.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Org Table Export to Markdown Table Question
@ 2014-01-09 20:30   ` Aric Gregson
From: Aric Gregson @ 2014-01-09 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Frankel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

--On January 9, 2014 11:58:37 AM -0500 Rick Frankel <rick@rickster.com>
wrote:

> I'm not sure why you are using markdown as an intermediate file
> format. Org will export to latex, pdf (via latex) and openoffice odt
> (which can be exported from open/libre office to doc/docx.).

I had originally tried because of problems with the odt exporter, which
appears to have been fixed with the recent release, as noted previously.
Markdown is still extremely useful for formatting references/bibliographies
with bibtex and csl. Latex is not as useful because it is nearly impossible
to share latex files with those using Word and most journals in my field do
not accept latex files.

@ 2014-01-09 23:57     ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2014-01-09 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 10/01/14 07:30, Aric Gregson wrote:
> --On January 9, 2014 11:58:37 AM -0500 Rick Frankel
> <rick@rickster.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure why you are using markdown as an intermediate file
>> format. Org will export to latex, pdf (via latex) and openoffice odt
>> (which can be exported from open/libre office to doc/docx.).
>
> I had originally tried because of problems with the odt exporter,
> which appears to have been fixed with the recent release, as noted
> previously. Markdown is still extremely useful for formatting
> references/bibliographies with bibtex and csl. Latex is not as useful
> because it is nearly impossible to share latex files with those using
> Word and most journals in my field do not accept latex files.
I am in the same fix -- writing in Org but needing to submit most things
in Word. Damned annoying.

It really would be nice to see Org get the references/bibliography
problem fixed up properly. The Pandoc version of Markdown does it well.
As you note, bibtex and csl is a killer combination.

Org is so nice to use for authoring that I can't give it away. I have a
book manuscript due in May and currently all my citations are using the
[[cite: key]] format with ox-bibtex. It is far from satisfactory and I'm
sure that May will see me tearing my hair out (what little is left).

Cheers,
Alan

> Thanks, Aric

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:typhoon@iptel.org

* Re: Org Table Export to Markdown Table Question
@ 2014-01-10 22:26       ` Aric
From: Aric @ 2014-01-10 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan L Tyree <alantyree <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Org is so nice to use for authoring that I can't give it away. I have a
> book manuscript due in May and currently all my citations are using the
> [[cite: key]] format with ox-bibtex. It is far from satisfactory and I'm
> sure that May will see me tearing my hair out (what little is left).

Yes, I hear you. I am trying to avoid this by using the [@nameYear] style for
markdown hoping that a final export to markdown for bibliography will not go
horribly wrong. But that is probably not a fair assumption.

@ 2014-01-11  0:16         ` Alan L Tyree
From: Alan L Tyree @ 2014-01-11  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 11/01/14 09:26, Aric wrote:
> Alan L Tyree <alantyree <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Org is so nice to use for authoring that I can't give it away. I have a
>> book manuscript due in May and currently all my citations are using the
>> [[cite: key]] format with ox-bibtex. It is far from satisfactory and I'm
>> sure that May will see me tearing my hair out (what little is left).
> Yes, I hear you. I am trying to avoid this by using the [@nameYear] style for
> markdown hoping that a final export to markdown for bibliography will not go
> horribly wrong. But that is probably not a fair assumption.
>
> Aric

Another approach: In the past I have used tex4ht to process a LaTeX
book. At least on Linux, there is a script 'oolatex' that does a pretty
good job. I'm using Debian and, for some reason, oolatex is not in the
execution path but is located at /usr/share/tex4ht/oolatex. I had a
LaTeX book length manuscript (about 700 pages) that converted reasonably
well, but I haven't tried the Org -> LaTeX -> LibreOffice procedure yet.

Alan

Tel:  04 2748 6206              sip:typhoon@iptel.org