From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Nic <nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: XOXO output
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:38:10 +0200	[thread overview]

On Apr 4, 2006, at 12:55, Nic wrote:

> No... that's not quite what I've said. The reason that XOXO export is
> good is because it's easy to transform later (say with XSLT but also
> specialized SAX or SXML processes would work).
>

>> But I guess that transformation code would actually have to
>> be custom written and understand all of the properties of Org-mode
>> files.  So I am still wondering if it would be useful to have ev
>> erything that is Org-mode specific translated into something more
>> general.
>
> This is the reason I haven't yet updated my XOXO exporter to output
> other things.
>
> XOXO is *just* an outline specification. So how should an XOXO output
> handle org mode tables or schedules?
>
> I think that XOXO output is really just part of what I want which is a
> minimal output format. Markup centric it would not include any
> formatting or extraneous information (as yours does now).

OK.  I think that would be very useful indeed.  I guess there are two
ways forward with this.

- We try to modify the HTML output routine so that we can simply set a
switch which output format it is going to be.  I think that is going to
be hard, because the switch would have to be tested in many many
places.

- We copy the org-export-as-html routine and then modify it to remove
all the extra formatting junk I have in there (which was born not out
of desire to be abstract, but just out of the wish "I would like to
look at this thing in a web browser...").  This would have the
advantage that all the parsing and structure information is there for
you to use, but we would still have an independent and possibly more
compact routine.

> So XOXO would be used for outline markup but straight tables would be
> used for org mode tables and hCalendar would be used for dates and
> times and things like that.
>
> See http://microformats.org/wiki/Main_Page for more info.
>
> I think what I'll do is take a look at your new exporter and see if I
> can replicate what it does but with microformat markup instead of your
> current markup.

Go right ahead.  Should I delay putting XOXO code into org.el then?

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam