* Changing the font family in HTML export
@ 2011-06-28  7:18 Dror Atariah
From: Dror Atariah @ 2011-06-28  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear org mode users,

I'm trying to change the font used when exporting .org to .html. At the moment, I get
"
 <!--/*--><![CDATA[/*><!--*/
  html { font-family: Times, serif; font-size: 12pt; }
"
In the generated .html file. I would like to control this part, namely, I would like to have for example:
"
 <!--/*--><![CDATA[/*><!--*/
  html { font-family: Helvatica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; }
"
Instead. I found several hints, but my emacs skill failed me, and I couldn't find a solution.

Can you help me? Thanks in advance,
Dror

* Re: Changing the font family in HTML export
@ 2011-06-28  8:19 ` Manuel Giraud
       [not found]   ` <508A016C-064F-48B4-9C56-294D980EB4E6@gmail.com>
From: Manuel Giraud @ 2011-06-28  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dror Atariah; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> writes:

> Can you help me? Thanks in advance,

I think you could use an external css file for that. You can do so by
setting the STYLE property in you org file like that:

#+TITLE: My page
#+STYLE: <link rel="stylesheet" href="my_own.css" type="text/css"/>

* My first title

Best regards,
--
Manuel Giraud

* Re: Changing the font family in HTML export
       [not found]     ` <87r56egxdj.fsf@univ-nantes.fr>
@ 2011-06-28  9:00       ` Dror Atariah
From: Dror Atariah @ 2011-06-28  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Giraud; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This solved the problem. However, as you pointed out, in case I want to publish/share this generated html, I have to send as well another file, and it is not longer self contained. In the automatically, generated html, there is a section at the beginning:
--==--
 <!--/*--><![CDATA[/*><!--*/
  html { font-family: Times, serif; font-size: 12pt; }
  .title  { text-align: center; }
  .todo   { color: red; }
  .done   { color: green; }
  .tag    { background-color: #add8e6; font-weight:normal }
--==--

Isn't there a way to tell orgmode to change this part, and, for example, use a different font?

On Jun 28, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Manuel Giraud wrote:

> Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Thanks for the quick answer!
>>> I think you could use an external css file for that. You can do so by
>>> setting the STYLE property in you org file like that:
>>>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> #+TITLE: My page
>>> #+STYLE: <link rel="stylesheet" href="my_own.css" type="text/css"/>
>>>
>>> * My first title
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>> This means that I have to generate and put "my_own.css" file in the
>> right place.
>
> Yes. But I don't know how you publish things after having generated the
> html. You may just have to copy this file in the right place once.
>

>> What should this file contain?
>
> It's a css file it could contain many things (see
> http://www.w3schools.com/css/ for good tutorials and test). But in your
> case this will do the trick:

> html { font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; }
>

>> I'm happy with the formatting of the exported html, I only want to
>> change the font. Is this still the right approach?
>
> I still think it is the best option because one day you'd like to change
> the color of h1's title and this approach still stand (in fact that's
> what css are for).
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Manuel Giraud

Dror Atariah
Landline:        +49-30-43024501
Mobile:         +49-176-67116376
Mobile (in IL): +972 54 5912389
IM:  		      drorata@gmail.com
		   drorata@hotmail.com

* Re: Changing the font family in HTML export
@ 2011-06-28  9:18         ` Pieter Praet
From: Pieter Praet @ 2011-06-28  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dror Atariah, Manuel Giraud; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:00:43 +0200, Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> wrote:
> This solved the problem. However, as you pointed out, in case I want to publish/share this generated html, I have to send as well another file, and it is not longer self contained. In the automatically, generated html, there is a section at the beginning:
> --==--
>  <!--/*--><![CDATA[/*><!--*/
>   html { font-family: Times, serif; font-size: 12pt; }
>   .title  { text-align: center; }
>   .todo   { color: red; }
>   .done   { color: green; }
>   .tag    { background-color: #add8e6; font-weight:normal }
> --==--
>
> Isn't there a way to tell orgmode to change this part, and, for example, use a different font?

This is hardcoded @ org-html.el:122.

You can change this manually, but keep in mind that in order to make it
stick, you'll need to run "make it stick" (sans the "it stick").

For more info, see http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#sec-3_3

Also, word of advice: this is a public mailing list, so it might not be
such a fantastic idea to divulge everything apart from your shoe size
and favourite colour in your signature.

> On Jun 28, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Manuel Giraud wrote:
>
> > Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Thanks for the quick answer!

> >> This means that I have to generate and put "my_own.css" file in the
> >> right place.
> >
> > Yes. But I don't know how you publish things after having generated the
> > html. You may just have to copy this file in the right place once.
> >

> >> What should this file contain?
> >
> > It's a css file it could contain many things (see
> > http://www.w3schools.com/css/ for good tutorials and test). But in your
> > case this will do the trick:
> >
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > html { font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; }
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
> >

> >> I'm happy with the formatting of the exported html, I only want to
> >> change the font. Is this still the right approach?
> >
> > I still think it is the best option because one day you'd like to change
> > the color of h1's title and this approach still stand (in fact that's
> > what css are for).
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --
> > Manuel Giraud
>
> Dror Atariah
> Landline:        +49-30-43024501
> Mobile:         +49-176-67116376
> Mobile (in IL): +972 54 5912389
> IM:  		      drorata@gmail.com
> 		   drorata@hotmail.com

Peace

--
Pieter

* Re: Changing the font family in HTML export
@ 2011-06-28  9:58 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-06-28  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dror Atariah; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to change the font used when exporting .org to .html.

(setq org-export-html-style-include-default nil)

(setq org-export-html-style ...)

HTH

--
 Bastien

* Re: Changing the font family in HTML export
@ 2011-06-28  9:59           ` Pieter Praet
From: Pieter Praet @ 2011-06-28  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dror Atariah, Manuel Giraud; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:18:58 +0200, Pieter Praet <pieter@praet.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:00:43 +0200, Dror Atariah <drorata@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This solved the problem. However, as you pointed out, in case I want to publish/share this generated html, I have to send as well another file, and it is not longer self contained. In the automatically, generated html, there is a section at the beginning:
> > --==--
> >  <!--/*--><![CDATA[/*><!--*/
> >   html { font-family: Times, serif; font-size: 12pt; }
> >   .title  { text-align: center; }
> >   .todo   { color: red; }
> >   .done   { color: green; }
> >   .tag    { background-color: #add8e6; font-weight:normal }
> > --==--
> >
> > Isn't there a way to tell orgmode to change this part, and, for example, use a different font?
>
> This is hardcoded @ org-html.el:122.
>
> You can change this manually, but keep in mind that in order to make it
> stick, you'll need to run "make it stick" (sans the "it stick").
>
> For more info, see http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#sec-3_3
>

> Also, word of advice: this is a public mailing list, so it might not be
> such a fantastic idea to divulge everything apart from your shoe size
> and favourite colour in your signature.

> > > Yes. But I don't know how you publish things after having generated the
> > > html. You may just have to copy this file in the right place once.

> > > It's a css file it could contain many things (see
> > > http://www.w3schools.com/css/ for good tutorials and test). But in your
> > > case this will do the trick:
> > >
> > > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > > html { font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; }
> > > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

> > > I still think it is the best option because one day you'd like to change
> > > the color of h1's title and this approach still stand (in fact that's
> > > what css are for).
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > --
> > > Manuel Giraud
> >
> > Dror Atariah
> > Landline:        +49-30-43024501
> > Mobile:         +49-176-67116376
> > Mobile (in IL): +972 54 5912389
> > IM:  		      drorata@gmail.com
> > 		   drorata@hotmail.com
> >

> Peace
>
> --
> Pieter

For posterity's sake:

The following is part of my response to an off-list
reply from Dror Atariah.

Didn't bother to ask permission for full inclusion,
so I've cut everything but the relevant part.

>> [SNIP]
>>
>>   It appears I've spoken a bit too soon:
>>
>>   Customizing the variables:
>>   - `org-export-html-style'
>>   - `org-export-html-style-extra'
>>   - `org-export-html-style-include-default'
>>   should suffice to do your bidding.
>>
>>   See org-html.el:163-167.
>>
>>   Don't let this keep you from reading the provided link though,
>>   it'll come in handy sooner rather than later.
>>
>> [SNIP]

Peace

--
Pieter

* Re: Changing the font family in HTML export
@ 2011-06-28 12:10         ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-06-28 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dror Atariah; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Manuel Giraud

Hi,

The tips you have received from others about customizing various
variables are likely to be what you want (will work for all your
documents). But for completeness' sake: to change things on a
file-by-file basis, you can do it Manuel's way, but without an
external stylesheet, like this:

#+STYLE:<style>html { font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:
12pt; }</style>

Your custom CSS is included in the HEAD of the generated document,
after the default CSS, which it overrides.

Yours,
Christian

@ 2011-06-28 13:01           ` Dror Atariah
From: Dror Atariah @ 2011-06-28 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Manuel Giraud

On Jun 28, 2011, at 14:10 PM, Christian Moe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The tips you have received from others about customizing various variables are likely to be what you want (will work for all your documents). But for completeness' sake: to change things on a file-by-file basis, you can do it Manuel's way, but without an external stylesheet, like this:
>
> #+STYLE:<style>html { font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; }</style>
>
> Your custom CSS is included in the HEAD of the generated document, after the default CSS, which it overrides.
This was most helpful actually! Thanks!