* Possible conflict with outline-magic
@ 2020-09-12 13:52 John Haman
From: John Haman @ 2020-09-12 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello, I would like to use the outline-magic package to cycle headings
in outline-mode. I installed outline magic, and put the recommended
configuration in my init file.

(use-package outline-magic
   :ensure t
   :config
   (add-hook 'outline-mode-hook
             (lambda ()
               (require 'outline-cycle))))

The package works great! I can easily cycle visibility of headings in
outline-mode with TAB. No further configuration.

After installing outline-magic, my org-capture stopped working. I have a
very benign capture configuration.

(use-package org-capture
   :after org
   :hook
   (org-capture-mode . evil-insert-state)
   :custom
   (org-capture-templates ... <all my templates> ... ))

When I call org-capture now, I get an error:

Template key:
File mode specification error: (file-missing Cannot open load file No
such file or directory outline-cycle)
org-capture: Capture abort: (file-missing Cannot open load file No such
file or directory outline-cycle)

How do I prevent this strange interaction between outline-magic and
org-capture?

What I tried:

- Deleting Elpa folder and reinstalling all packages.

No luck so far.

(Note: I cannot switch from outline-mode to markdown-mode because
markdown-mode has fontificiation issues on the files I edit)

Thanks all, any help here is greatly appreciated.

John

* Re: Possible conflict with outline-magic
@ 2020-09-12 13:58 ` John Haman
From: John Haman @ 2020-09-12 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Well, I was able to fix my issue using the configuration on EmacsWiki

(use-package outline-magic
   :ensure t
   :config
   (eval-after-load 'outline
     '(progn
        (require 'outline-magic)
        (define-key outline-minor-mode-map (kbd "<C-tab>")
'outline-cycle))))

But I'm not sure why this should work while the configuration that comes
with outline-magic interacts with org-capture.

-John

@ 2020-09-13  3:38   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2020-09-13  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Haman, emacs-orgmode

> But I'm not sure why this should work while the configuration that comes
> with outline-magic interacts with org-capture.

org-mode is derived mode based on outline-mode. "Derived" in Emacs means
that outline-mode-hook also runs in org-mode.

org-capture-mode is derived mode based on org-mode. So, it runs
org-capture-mode-hook, org-mode-hook, and outline-mode-hook.

The first version of the code you used is not valid:

>> (use-package outline-magic
>>               (require 'outline-cycle))))

There is no 'outline-cycle feature provided by outline-magic package.
Hence, when you run org-capture, it is trying to run outline-magic-hook
that runs (require 'outline-cycle), which does not exist. Hence, the
error you observed.

I believe that the code you used (and copied from Example section of
outline-magic package) is carried out from the times when outline-magic
was called outline-cycle. You might consider reporting this as a bug in
outline-magic github page.

Best,
Ihor