* Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling
@ 2010-12-31 18:43 Jeff Horn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-12-31 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode ml

Bernt, Eric Schulte, and others,

Bernt recently mentioned to me on #org-mode that he doesn't
byte-compile org-mode, which makes it much easier to read backtraces.
I'm trying to use Eric Schulte's starter-kit fork, and the
instructions suggest compiling org-mode.[1]

Inspecting the Makefile, I see that I probably want to make the info
documentation and have that installed automatically, I just don't want
to byte-compile the lisp.

1) Is there a flag or something I can pass to make in order to skip
byte-compiling but perform the rest of the script tasks? (The Makefile
docstring suggests 'make doc' to make html and PDF docs. Will it also
make the info docs and install them automatically?)

2) Out of curiosity, is 'make install' ever necessary when the local
git directory is sourced into the load-path?

TIA

Footnotes:
[1 ]http://eschulte.github.com/emacs-starter-kit/

--
Jeffrey Horn
http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling
@ 2010-12-31 20:41 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-12-31 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> writes:

> Bernt, Eric Schulte, and others,
>
> Bernt recently mentioned to me on #org-mode that he doesn't
> byte-compile org-mode, which makes it much easier to read backtraces.
> I'm trying to use Eric Schulte's starter-kit fork, and the
> instructions suggest compiling org-mode.[1]
>
> Inspecting the Makefile, I see that I probably want to make the info
> documentation and have that installed automatically, I just don't want
> to byte-compile the lisp.
>
> 1) Is there a flag or something I can pass to make in order to skip
> byte-compiling but perform the rest of the script tasks? (The Makefile
> docstring suggests 'make doc' to make html and PDF docs. Will it also
> make the info docs and install them automatically?)
>
> 2) Out of curiosity, is 'make install' ever necessary when the local
> git directory is sourced into the load-path?

Hi Jeff,

I use specific targets with make for the things I want:

  make lisp/org-install.el
  make doc/org.info
  make doc/org.pdf

Other than these (and org.pdf is rare) I don't use any other targets
that I am aware of.

You can remove *.elc files with git using

  git clean *.elc

You can run make targets with -n to display what they would do (but not
actually do anything).  As far as I know the make install task only
builds the *.elc files if necessary and updates the system level emacs.

Try:

  make -n install

and look at the resulting output.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling
@ 2011-01-01  5:36 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-01-01  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Org-mode ml

> Inspecting the Makefile, I see that I probably want to make the info
> documentation and have that installed automatically, I just don't want
> to byte-compile the lisp.

$ make doc/org

The above command will create a file named 'org' in the doc directory.

Once this is done alter `Info-directory-list' with the following line in
your init file.

(push "~/path/to/git/root/doc/" Info-directory-list)

If you get some surprises, you can do a C-h v Info-directory-list and
make sure that the order of the dirs is just as you want it.

Jambunathan K.

* Re: Re: Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling
@ 2011-01-01  9:58   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2011-01-01  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 01/01/11 05:36, Jambunathan K wrote:

>> Inspecting the Makefile, I see that I probably want to make the info
>> documentation and have that installed automatically, I just don't want
>> to byte-compile the lisp.
>
> $ make doc/org
>
> The above command will create a file named 'org' in the doc directory.
>
> Once this is done alter `Info-directory-list' with the following line in
> your init file.
>
> (push "~/path/to/git/root/doc/" Info-directory-list)
>
> If you get some surprises, you can do a C-h v Info-directory-list and
> make sure that the order of the dirs is just as you want it.

I have been struggling to get the info from the git repo to display in
Emacs, rather than the default info.

In my .emacs I have: (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
"~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/")

C-h v Info-directory-list shows:

Info-directory-list's value is
("~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/" "/usr/share/info/emacs-23"
"/usr/share/info/" "/usr/share/info/")

However, I still get the info file for org 6.36.trans displayed. If I do:

info ~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/org

I get the correct git version of the info file. So what am I doing wrong?

I am using:

GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.21.6)
  of 2010-09-01 on americium, modified by Debian

Ian.

* Re: Re: Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling
@ 2011-01-01 10:11     ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2011-01-01 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 01/01/11 09:58, Ian Barton wrote:
> On 01/01/11 05:36, Jambunathan K wrote:
>>
>>> Inspecting the Makefile, I see that I probably want to make the info
>>> documentation and have that installed automatically, I just don't want
>>> to byte-compile the lisp.
>>
>> $ make doc/org
>>
>> The above command will create a file named 'org' in the doc directory.
>>
>> Once this is done alter `Info-directory-list' with the following line in
>> your init file.
>>
>> (push "~/path/to/git/root/doc/" Info-directory-list)
>>
>> If you get some surprises, you can do a C-h v Info-directory-list and
>> make sure that the order of the dirs is just as you want it.
>>
> I have been struggling to get the info from the git repo to display in
> Emacs, rather than the default info.
>
> In my .emacs I have: (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
> "~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/")
>
> C-h v Info-directory-list shows:
>
> Info-directory-list's value is
> ("~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/" "/usr/share/info/emacs-23"
> "/usr/share/info/" "/usr/share/info/")
>

> However, I still get the info file for org 6.36.trans displayed. If I do:
>
> info ~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/org
>
> I get the correct git version of the info file. So what am I doing wrong?
>
> I am using:
>
> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.21.6)
> of 2010-09-01 on americium, modified by Debian

I have managed to get it to display the correct info file by binding a
function key like:

(global-set-key (kbd "<f9> i") (lambda ()
                                  (interactive)
                                  (info

"~/Private/Dropbox/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/org")))

This seems to be a bit of a sledgehammer/nut solution though.

Ian.

* Re: Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling
@ 2011-01-01 12:23   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-01-01 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Org-mode ml

>> Inspecting the Makefile, I see that I probably want to make the info
>> documentation and have that installed automatically, I just don't want
>> to byte-compile the lisp.
>
> $ make doc/org
>
> The above command will create a file named 'org' in the doc directory.
>
> Once this is done alter `Info-directory-list' with the following line in
> your init file.
>
> (push "~/path/to/git/root/doc/" Info-directory-list)
>
> If you get some surprises, you can do a C-h v Info-directory-list and
> make sure that the order of the dirs is just as you want it.

I typed the earlier mail from memory. This is the sequence that package
manager uses:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
      (require 'info)
      (info-initialize)
      (push pkg-dir Info-directory-list)
#+end_src

The first two lines were missing in my earlier post.

Furthermore, one can use the following to cherry pick the info file of
interest:

C-u M-x info RET doc/org

HTH,

@ 2011-01-01 15:15       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-01-01 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> wrote:

> >> $ make doc/org
> >>
> >> The above command will create a file named 'org' in the doc directory.
> >>
> >> Once this is done alter `Info-directory-list' with the following line in
> >> your init file.
> >>
> >> (push "~/path/to/git/root/doc/" Info-directory-list)
> >>
> >> If you get some surprises, you can do a C-h v Info-directory-list and
> >> make sure that the order of the dirs is just as you want it.
> >>
> > I have been struggling to get the info from the git repo to display in
> > Emacs, rather than the default info.
> >
> > In my .emacs I have: (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
> > "~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/")
> >
> > C-h v Info-directory-list shows:
> >
> > Info-directory-list's value is
> > ("~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/" "/usr/share/info/emacs-23"
> > "/usr/share/info/" "/usr/share/info/")
> >

> > However, I still get the info file for org 6.36.trans displayed. If I do:
> >
> > info ~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/org
> >
> > I get the correct git version of the info file. So what am I doing wrong?
> >
> > I am using:
> >
> > GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.21.6)
> > of 2010-09-01 on americium, modified by Debian
> >

> I have managed to get it to display the correct info file by binding a
> function key like:
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "<f9> i") (lambda ()
>                                  (interactive)
>                                  (info
>
> "~/Private/Dropbox/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/org")))
>
> This seems to be a bit of a sledgehammer/nut solution though.

I have vague recollections of struggling with Info customization many
years ago. I finally worked around the problem by explicitly setting my
INFOPATH env variable appropriately in my .profile, so that when emacs
starts up, it knows where to look.

Of course, making sure that some shell init file gets executed at login
time in a "modern" desktop environment (I use the Gnome desktop on
Linux) is a battle as well, but at least that only has to be figured out
once: I set it up back in Ubuntu Dapper days and I have not touched it
since then. If it ever breaks, I will be tempted to chuck the whole thing
out the window...

Nick

* Re: Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling
@ 2011-01-03 11:29 ` Noorul Islam K M
From: Noorul Islam K M @ 2011-01-03 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Horn; +Cc: Org-mode ml

Jeff Horn <jrhorn424@gmail.com> writes:

> Bernt, Eric Schulte, and others,
>
> Bernt recently mentioned to me on #org-mode that he doesn't
> byte-compile org-mode, which makes it much easier to read backtraces.
> I'm trying to use Eric Schulte's starter-kit fork, and the
> instructions suggest compiling org-mode.[1]
>
> Inspecting the Makefile, I see that I probably want to make the info
> documentation and have that installed automatically, I just don't want
> to byte-compile the lisp.
>
> 1) Is there a flag or something I can pass to make in order to skip
> byte-compiling but perform the rest of the script tasks? (The Makefile
> docstring suggests 'make doc' to make html and PDF docs. Will it also
> make the info docs and install them automatically?)
>
> 2) Out of curiosity, is 'make install' ever necessary when the local
> git directory is sourced into the load-path?

make info
make install-info

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: Re: Installing org-mode from git without byte-compiling
@ 2011-01-14  8:20     ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2011-01-14  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 4:58 AM, Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> wrote:
> I have been struggling to get the info from the git repo to display in
> Emacs, rather than the default info.
>
> In my .emacs I have: (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
> "~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/")
>
> C-h v Info-directory-list shows:
>
> Info-directory-list's value is
> ("~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/" "/usr/share/info/emacs-23"
> "/usr/share/info/" "/usr/share/info/")
>

> However, I still get the info file for org 6.36.trans displayed. If I do:
>
> info ~/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/doc/org
>
> I get the correct git version of the info file. So what am I doing wrong?

Ian,

I started having issues with this last week. Re-reading this thread
gave me hints at a solution. I don't know what happened on my end, but
try the following steps, which worked for me:

1) Navigate to your org source directory (git repo, perhaps)
2) Type =make info=
3) Make sure the org/doc directory is in Info-directory-list (looks
like it is for you)

Kill any Info buffers and restart Info. The manual should be the
correct one now. If that doesn't fix it, try also typing =make
install-info=, which updates the site-wide documentation.

Let me know if this solves the problem for you, and if you had to type
=make install-info=.

Jeff