* Insert ampersand in HTML export?
@ 2011-02-10 20:25 Uriel Avalos
From: Uriel Avalos @ 2011-02-10 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

How do you insert the actual & character in an HTML export?

I'm trying to write a macro to insert a MATHML snippet but org-mode converts & to &.

How can I prevent that behavior?

* Re: Insert ampersand in HTML export?
       [not found] <20110210152542.26383056amscopub-mail@yahoo.com@dove.localdomain>
@ 2011-02-11  8:34 ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]   ` <20110211114831.2a53a9ffamscopub-mail@yahoo.com@dove.localdomain>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-02-11  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uriel Avalos; +Cc: emacs

On Feb 10, 2011, at 9:25 PM, Uriel Avalos wrote:

> How do you insert the actual & character in an HTML export?
>
> I'm trying to write a macro to insert a MATHML snippet but org-mode
> converts & to &amp;.
>
> How can I prevent that behavior?

Hi Uriel,

do you really want everyone here to construct their own test case for
this?

Please provide an example file with the macro definition and its
use to make it as easy as possible for someone to try it out and fix it.

Thanks

- Carsten

* Re: Insert ampersand in HTML export?
@ 2011-02-11 16:48   ` Uriel Avalos
       [not found]   ` <20110211114831.2a53a9ffamscopub-mail@yahoo.com@dove.localdomain>
From: Uriel Avalos @ 2011-02-11 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, emacs

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:34:08 +0100
Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2011, at 9:25 PM, Uriel Avalos wrote:
>
> > How do you insert the actual & character in an HTML export?
> >
> > I'm trying to write a macro to insert a MATHML snippet but org-mode
> > converts & to &amp;.
> >
> > How can I prevent that behavior?
>
> Hi Uriel,
>
> do you really want everyone here to construct their own test case for
> this?
>
> Please provide an example file with the macro definition and its
> use to make it as easy as possible for someone to try it out and fix it.
>
> Thanks
>
> - Carsten

Look, there isn't really a "test" case. I'm just asking if this feature is available.
The docs just say that & exports to &amp; in HTML export and \$ in latex export.
I'm asking if there's a way to disable that feature on a case-by-case basis i.e.,
I want & to export to & in HTML export for some situations. Hope that's clear enough.

Here's a test macro:

This should be "angle $1". The MATML snippet works fine in a HTML file in firefox linux but the macro does not. I get this in the HTML export:

& gets incorrectly converted to &amp;

@ 2011-02-12 11:51     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-12 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uriel Avalos; +Cc: emacs, Carsten Dominik

Uriel Avalos <amscopub-mail@yahoo.com> writes:

> & gets incorrectly converted to &amp;

It's what's expected in most cases.

But I added a new variable `org-export-html-protect-char-alist'
to allow fine tuning of what characters should be HTML proected.

You can set this variable per buffer through #+BIND.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Insert ampersand in HTML export?
@ 2011-02-12 14:08       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-02-12 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs

On Feb 12, 2011, at 12:51 PM, Bastien wrote:

> Uriel Avalos <amscopub-mail@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> & gets incorrectly converted to &amp;
>
> It's what's expected in most cases.
>
> But I added a new variable `org-export-html-protect-char-alist'
> to allow fine tuning of what characters should be HTML proected.

Can't we just use =&= or something like this?

- Carsten

@ 2011-02-12 14:13     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-02-12 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uriel Avalos; +Cc: emacs

Hi Uriel,

On Feb 11, 2011, at 5:48 PM, Uriel Avalos wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:34:08 +0100
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 10, 2011, at 9:25 PM, Uriel Avalos wrote:
>>
>>> How do you insert the actual & character in an HTML export?
>>>
>>> I'm trying to write a macro to insert a MATHML snippet but org-mode
>>> converts & to &amp;.
>>>
>>> How can I prevent that behavior?
>>
>> Hi Uriel,
>>
>> do you really want everyone here to construct their own test case for
>> this?
>>
>> Please provide an example file with the macro definition and its
>> use to make it as easy as possible for someone to try it out and
>> fix it.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> Look, there isn't really a "test" case. I'm just asking if this
> feature is available.

But with a test line, it is soo much easier to understand what you are
looking for even if your question itself might not be clear - as it
was for me in this case.

> The docs just say that & exports to &amp; in HTML export and \$ in
> latex export.
> I'm asking if there's a way to disable that feature on a case-by-
> case basis i.e.,
> I want & to export to & in HTML export for some situations. Hope
> that's clear enough.
>
> Here's a test macro:

> math>
>
> This should be "angle $1". The MATML snippet works fine in a HTML
> file in firefox linux but the macro does not. I get this in the HTML
> export:

> & gets incorrectly converted to &amp;

Now I see, thank you for the example.  Maybe you can use

math>

Org has a whole slew of special characters defined this way, and they
translate correctly to both HTML and LaTeX.

- Carsten

* Re: Insert ampersand in HTML export?
@ 2011-02-12 15:24         ` Bastien
       [not found]           ` <20110212155103.16e82a76uriavalos@yahoo.com@dove.localdomain>
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-12 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs

Hi Carsten,

>> But I added a new variable `org-export-html-protect-char-alist'
>> to allow fine tuning of what characters should be HTML proected.
>
> Can't we just use =&= or something like this?

For now =&= will be exported as <code>&amp;</code>

Do you mean that everything within =...= should not go through
`org-html-protect'?

And if so, that org-export-html-protect-char-alist might not be
necessary anymore?

PS: Well, I thought about this but couldn't solve Uriel's problem
this way...

--
 Bastien

* Re: Insert ampersand in HTML export?
@ 2011-02-12 20:51           ` Uriel Avalos
       [not found]           ` <20110212155103.16e82a76uriavalos@yahoo.com@dove.localdomain>
From: Uriel Avalos @ 2011-02-12 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 16:24:23 +0100
Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> But I added a new variable `org-export-html-protect-char-alist'
> >> to allow fine tuning of what characters should be HTML proected.
> >
> > Can't we just use =&= or something like this?
>
> For now =&= will be exported as <code>&amp;</code>
>
> Do you mean that everything within =...= should not go through
> `org-html-protect'?
>
> And if so, that org-export-html-protect-char-alist might not be
> necessary anymore?
>

> PS: Well, I thought about this but couldn't solve Uriel's problem
> this way...
>
> --
>  Bastien

What about some type of escape character like \&? That way \& is
exported as & instead of &amp; or \$. Would that work?

org-export-html-protect-char-alist may work in my case---the MATHML
macros are in a seperate #+SETUPFILE. As long as this variable doesn't
"bubble up" i.e., apply to the file that calls #+SETUPFILE, then it
will work.

@ 2011-02-13  9:10             ` Bastien
       [not found]               ` <20110213135347.58c0c882uriavalos@yahoo.com@dove.localdomain>
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-13  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uriel Avalos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Uriel,

Uriel Avalos <uriavalos@yahoo.com> writes:

> What about some type of escape character like \&? That way \& is
> exported as & instead of &amp; or \$. Would that work?

Handling escape characters is quite tricky, I'd better not go that way.

> org-export-html-protect-char-alist may work in my case---the MATHML
> macros are in a seperate #+SETUPFILE. As long as this variable doesn't
> "bubble up" i.e., apply to the file that calls #+SETUPFILE, then it
> will work.

Please tell me if it works.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Insert ampersand in HTML export?
@ 2011-02-13 18:53               ` Uriel Avalos
       [not found]               ` <20110213135347.58c0c882uriavalos@yahoo.com@dove.localdomain>
From: Uriel Avalos @ 2011-02-13 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:10:13 +0100
Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:

> Hi Uriel,
>
> Uriel Avalos <uriavalos@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > What about some type of escape character like \&? That way \& is
> > exported as & instead of &amp; or \$. Would that work?
>
> Handling escape characters is quite tricky, I'd better not go that way.
>
> > org-export-html-protect-char-alist may work in my case---the MATHML
> > macros are in a seperate #+SETUPFILE. As long as this variable doesn't
> > "bubble up" i.e., apply to the file that calls #+SETUPFILE, then it
> > will work.
>
> Please tell me if it works.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>  Bastien

So this new variable is in the bleeding edge version of org-mode? Will download and test. Thanks

@ 2011-02-14  0:04                 ` Bastien
       [not found]                   ` <20110216215007.51a0a126uriavalos@yahoo.com@dove.localdomain>
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-14  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uriel Avalos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uriel Avalos <uriavalos@yahoo.com> writes:

> So this new variable is in the bleeding edge version of org-mode?

Yes it is.

@ 2011-02-17  2:50                   ` Uriel Avalos
       [not found]                   ` <20110216215007.51a0a126uriavalos@yahoo.com@dove.localdomain>
From: Uriel Avalos @ 2011-02-17  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 01:04:16 +0100
Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:

> Uriel Avalos <uriavalos@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > So this new variable is in the bleeding edge version of org-mode?
>
> Yes it is.
>
> > Will download and test. Thanks
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>  Bastien

Just installed the latest bleeding edge version of org.

How do I set that variable using BIND?

Recall, the goal is to export & to itself:

#+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist '("&" . "&")

That's telling me I'm using the "wrong type argument: listp, quote"

@ 2011-02-17  3:24                     ` Bastien
       [not found]                       ` <20110217134138.059f9051amscopub-mail@yahoo.com@dove.localdomain>
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-17  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uriel Avalos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi uriel,

Uriel Avalos <uriavalos@yahoo.com> writes:

> #+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist '("&" . "&")
>
> That's telling me I'm using the "wrong type argument: listp, quote"

It must be this:

#+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist '(("&" . "&"))

The "-alist" suffix means it should be an alist -- see the Info node for
Association lists in the Elisp manual.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Insert ampersand in HTML export?
@ 2011-02-17 18:41                       ` Uriel Avalos
       [not found]                       ` <20110217134138.059f9051amscopub-mail@yahoo.com@dove.localdomain>
From: Uriel Avalos @ 2011-02-17 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 04:24:58 +0100
Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:

> Hi uriel,
>
> Uriel Avalos <uriavalos@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > #+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist '("&" . "&")
> >
> > That's telling me I'm using the "wrong type argument: listp, quote"
>
> It must be this:
>
> #+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist '(("&" . "&"))
>
> The "-alist" suffix means it should be an alist -- see the Info node for
> Association lists in the Elisp manual.
>
> --
>  Bastien

Nope. It still doesn't work. This is my test file:

   #+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist '(("&" . "&"))
   #+MACRO test & should stay as is

   Hello world &

I get the same error when I try to export: "wrong type argument: listp, quote"

@ 2011-02-17 21:57                         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-02-17 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uriel Avalos; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Bastien

Uriel Avalos <amscopub-mail@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 04:24:58 +0100
> Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hi uriel,
> >
> > Uriel Avalos <uriavalos@yahoo.com> writes:
> >
> > > #+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist '("&" . "&")
> > >
> > > That's telling me I'm using the "wrong type argument: listp, quote"
> >
> > It must be this:
> >
> > #+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist '(("&" . "&"))
> >
> > The "-alist" suffix means it should be an alist -- see the Info node for
> > Association lists in the Elisp manual.
> >
> > --
> >  Bastien

> Nope. It still doesn't work. This is my test file:
>
>    #+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist '(("&" . "&"))
>    #+MACRO test & should stay as is
>
>    Hello world &
>
> I get the same error when I try to export: "wrong type argument: listp, quote"

[Sent a terser reply earlier, but it never made it to the list: mail
problem on my end.]

Lose the quote (that will cure the emacs error) and add a header: the
<title> element in HTML still gets the &amp; treatment:

#+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist (("&" . "&"))
#+MACRO test & should stay as is

* foo & bar
Hello world &

Nick

* Re: Insert ampersand in HTML export?
@ 2011-02-18  9:04                           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-02-18  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> #+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist (("&" . "&"))

Yes, no quote needed.  Thanks Nick for correcting me.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Insert ampersand in HTML export?
@ 2011-02-22 16:21                             ` Uriel Avalos
From: Uriel Avalos @ 2011-02-22 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:04:52 +0100
Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > #+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist (("&" . "&"))
>
> Yes, no quote needed.  Thanks Nick for correcting me.
>
> --
>  Bastien

OK, finally tried it out. Unfortunately, while the variable works, it doesn't stay local---if you include the file in SETUPFILE, the variable also applies to that file.

Is there a way to make sure that variable stays local?

Ex:

macro.org

  #+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist (("&" . "&"))
  #+MACRO: test & should stay as is

macro-import.org

  ##+SETUPFILE: macro.org

  * Hello World
  This & should receive the amp treatment. But doesn't.
  {{{test}}}

* Re: Insert ampersand in HTML export?
@ 2011-02-22 16:28                             ` Uriel Avalos
From: Uriel Avalos @ 2011-02-22 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:04:52 +0100
Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > #+BIND: org-export-html-protect-char-alist (("&" . "&"))
>
> Yes, no quote needed.  Thanks Nick for correcting me.
>
> --
>  Bastien

Also I found a bug in that version of org-mode. How do I report it or
should I report it because it's a development version?

There seems to be a problem with the escape character @. Anytime the
preceding character is *NOT* a white space (including non-breaking
space), the export breaks.

This wasn't a problem before in 7.3.

In 7.3, this code exports fine:

  point @<i>A@</i>
       ^

     non-breaking space

It exports to:

  point <i>A</i>

In the development version, that code snippet exports to:

  point @&lt;i>A</i>

not at all what's intended....