* #+STARTUP: showstars
@ 2012-05-25 16:41 Enda
From: Enda @ 2012-05-25 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

With #+STARTUP: hidestars, the output looks nice in Emacs org-mode but
not otherwise, can there be an option where a line beginning with a
space and a star is like two stars with the hidestars option and a
line beginning with two spaces and a star is like three stars (it
could be called #+STARTUP: showstars (and even enabled by default))

Best wishes,

Enda

* Re: #+STARTUP: showstars
@ 2012-05-25 17:30 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-05-25 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enda; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Enda <enda_k2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> With #+STARTUP: hidestars, the output looks nice in Emacs org-mode but
> not otherwise, can there be an option where a line beginning with a
> space and a star is like two stars with the hidestars option and a
> line beginning with two spaces and a star is like three stars (it
> could be called #+STARTUP: showstars (and even enabled by default))

What do you mean by "otherwise"? Something like fundamental mode? Or
when you cat the file? If the former, all I can suggest is to enable
org-mode in the buffer. If the latter, try exporting to ascii.

In any case, such an option would require major changes to the code, I
believe.  It's unlikely to be implemented.

Nick

PS My opinion only, and bear in mind I'm not a maintainer.

* Re: #+STARTUP: showstars
@ 2012-05-25 17:43   ` Enda
From: Enda @ 2012-05-25 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos@hp.com; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Otherwise is like in vi, the additional stars (like **, opposed to <SPACE>*) are too noisy, and since I do not want to see them whether it is in org-mode or in vi, etc, so I wondered was there a way to have the file like

* first level heading

 * second level heading
   * third level heading

highlighted like in hidestars except there would be no stars to hide.

Best wishes,

Enda

________________________________

@ 2012-05-25 17:52     ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-05-25 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enda; +Cc: nicholas.dokos@hp.com, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Enda,

Enda <enda_k2@yahoo.com> writes:

> Otherwise is like in vi, the additional stars (like **, opposed to
> <SPACE>*) are too noisy, and since I do not want to see them whether
> it is in org-mode or in vi, etc, so I wondered was there a way to have
> the file like
>
> * first level heading
>  * second level heading
>    * third level heading

are you looking for org-indent-mode.?

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (org-indent-mode 1)))

YYR

* Re: #+STARTUP: showstars (#+STARTUP: showlaststar)
@ 2012-05-25 18:12       ` Enda
From: Enda @ 2012-05-25 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: nicholas.dokos@hp.com, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I just saw that #+STARTUP: showstars is the opposite of #+STARTUP: hidestars, #+STARTUP: showlaststar would have been a more appropriate subject header.

org-indent-mode can be activated using #+STARTUP: indent according to http://orgmode.org/manual/Clean-view.html, however in the same page I see that " All headline
stars but the last one are made invisible using the org-hide face", however I want there to be no actual stars except the last and then org-mode using the right color for each heading like:

* first heading

<SPACE>* second heading
<SPACE><SPACE>* third heading

Best wishes,

Enda

________________________________

@ 2012-05-25 18:16       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-05-25 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Enda

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi@yagnesh.org> wrote:

> Hello Enda,
>
> Enda <enda_k2@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Otherwise is like in vi, the additional stars (like **, opposed to
> > <SPACE>*) are too noisy, and since I do not want to see them whether
> > it is in org-mode or in vi, etc, so I wondered was there a way to have
> > the file like
> >
> > * first level heading
> > =C2=A0* second level heading
> > =C2=A0=C2=A0 * third level heading
>
> are you looking for org-indent-mode.?
>
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (org-indent-mode 1)))

I may be putting words into the OP's mouth, but I don't think he is
looking for org-indent-mode: the multiple asterisks would be there,
whether org-indent-mode is on or off (and it would not affect how the
file is seen in vi, to use his example). I think he is looking for
something that does not exist.

But the suggestion of exporting to ascii (and editing that in vi) has
not been rejected (yet), so that may be a way forward.

Nick

* Re: #+STARTUP: showstars (#+STARTUP: showlaststar)
@ 2012-05-25 18:26         ` Enda
From: Enda @ 2012-05-25 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos@hp.com, Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I might want to edit the file where Emacs is not installed, so I do not want to be exporting to ascii.

Best wishes,

Enda

________________________________
 From: Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>

@ 2012-05-25 18:36           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-05-25 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enda; +Cc: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Enda <enda_k2@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I might want to edit the file where Emacs is not installed, so I do not want to be exporting to ascii.

Then you have to live with the stars.

Nick

> Best wishes,
>
> Enda
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>
>
> But the suggestion of exporting to ascii (and editing that in vi) has
> not been rejected (yet), so that may be a way forward.

> Alternatives:

* Re: #+STARTUP: showstars
@ 2012-05-25 20:57         ` Mark E. Shoulson
From: Mark E. Shoulson @ 2012-05-25 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Enda <enda_k2@yahoo.com> writes:
>>> Otherwise is like in vi, the additional stars (like **, opposed to
>>> <SPACE>*) are too noisy, and since I do not want to see them whether
>>> it is in org-mode or in vi, etc, so I wondered was there a way to have
>>> the file like
>>>
>>> * first level heading
>>> =C2=A0* second level heading
>>> =C2=A0=C2=A0 * third level heading

There seems to be some confusion getting across.  As I understand it,
this is what the OP is after:

Problem: doesn't like the look of multiple *s for headline; prefers the
look of hidestars-mode.

Furthermore, hidestars isn't good enough, because Enda wants the file
*really to be like that*, without the stars there at all, so that it
still looks good when being edited in vi or something.  It needs to look
like hidestars *all the time*, even outside of org, to avoid seeing the
****s.

OP's requested fix: change the syntax so that a line which begins with N
spaces followed by a star and then more spaces after that acts as if the
at the start of the line should be a third-level headline, as if it
started with ***.

OP, please let me know if I'm stating your position correctly.

Problem with requested fix: In addition to being a pretty major change
to start with, it also already conflicts with established usage.  A line
that starts with spaces and then a star-space is considered an item in a
plain list.  Using *s for plain lists is discouraged, because of the
potential confusion with headlines if there are no spaces before it, but
it is permitted (and if it could have been dropped it would have been
already).  So, no, this isn't going to happen.

I _guess_ one could try defining something like a NO-BREAK-SPACE
character to behave like a star at the beginning of the line when it
comes to determining headlines, so you basically have a character that
*looks* blank you can use for the non-final stars, but that would also
be a pretty enormous change and I don't see it looking like a good move
either.

I hope that accurately portrays the request (and responses thereto).

~mark

* Re: #+STARTUP: showstars (#+STARTUP: showlaststar)
@ 2012-05-25 21:21             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-25 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Enda

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Then you have to live with the stars.

I think it is awesome to live with the stars.

:)

--
 Bastien

* Re: #+STARTUP: showstars
@ 2012-05-25 22:08           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-25 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark E. Shoulson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Mark,

"Mark E. Shoulson" <mark@kli.org> writes:

> Furthermore, hidestars isn't good enough, because Enda wants the file
> *really to be like that*, without the stars there at all, so that it still
> looks good when being edited in vi or something.

Thanks for taking the time to state Enda's position more clearly.

The stars will stay here.

Based from this, I guess Vi(m) can be clever enough to hide them.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: #+STARTUP: showstars
@ 2012-05-26  7:30           ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2012-05-26  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, Enda, Mark E. Shoulson, Nick Dokos, Peter Salazar,
	Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala, Org Mode

Hi all

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Mark E. Shoulson <mark@kli.org> wrote:
> OP's requested fix: change the syntax so that a line which begins with N
> spaces followed by a star and then more spaces after that acts as if the N
> start of the line should be a third-level headline, as if it started with
> ***.

It seems that Org fileconversion, which does exactly this with
hidestarsfile and which I announced on the list here with four posts
spread over February, did not yet get through the noise. Even though I
asked some questions then. :-(

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/51981

> I _guess_ one could try defining something like a NO-BREAK-SPACE character
> to behave like a star at the beginning of the line when it comes to
> determining headlines, so you basically have a character that *looks* blank
> you can use for the non-final stars,

This is a nice idea and I just added it to fileconversion 0.6 as
nbspstarsfile. With the small generalization of fileconversion I did
some time ago to cover also markdown headlines (Peter Salazar, any
feedback?) it was very easy to extend it also to nbspstarsfile:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#fileconversion

For the #+STARTUP keyword now nbspstarsfile is used in favor of
showstars because I think it aligns better with the already existing
hidestars, hidestarsfile and markdownstarsfile.

Michael

* Re: #+STARTUP: showstars
@ 2012-05-26  7:53             ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2012-05-26  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Bastien

On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Based from this, I guess Vi(m) can be clever enough to hide them.

I also assume yes. But then notably tools that list file contents
prefixed like "grep" and "nl", but also non-prefixed like "cat",
"more", "less" etc. still don't. Of course, for the latter one could
write a one line filter command. But one that suits also "grep" and
"nl" is impossible. And I don't want to have to use this filter and to
have it with me all times. My compromise for my private Org files is
to be forced to use fileconversion when an Org mode is available. Not
a big deal because I can't use Emacs productively without
customization anyway.

Michael

* Re: #+STARTUP: showstars (#+STARTUP: showlaststar)
@ 2012-05-29 12:19               ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-05-29 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Bastien wrote:
> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos-VXdhtT5mjnY@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Then you have to live with the stars.
>
> I think it is awesome to live with the stars.
>
> :)

Ask Carsten!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: #+STARTUP: showstars (#+STARTUP: showlaststar)
@ 2012-06-01  4:05               ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-06-01  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:
>
> > Then you have to live with the stars.
>
> I think it is awesome to live with the stars.
>
> :)
>
> --
>  Bastien

Not sure why, but I seem to be getting copies of old mail that I'm
pretty sure I have seen before (e.g. the above from Friday
2012-05-25). According to the headers, it seems to have bounced around
noon.org for a week:

,----
`----

Just fyi (and in case fhew@noon.org is listening)...