From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Stefan Vollmar <vollmar@nf.mpg.de>
Subject: Re: org-store-link forgets external filename?
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 16:04:32 +0200	[thread overview]

On Jul 6, 2009, at 12:18 AM, Stefan Vollmar wrote:

> Dear Carsten,
>
> On 05.07.2009, at 23:27, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> the magic of id: links is just that they are globally unique, and
>> that
>> they will find the right target even if you move the target entry
>> from one file to another.  Therefore, export to HTML should
>> automatically insert the correct file name.  And this is just how
>> it works for me.
>
> thanks for the quick and detailed reply!
>
> [...]
>> Try M-x org-id-update-id-location to fix ID confusion.
>
> indeed everything now works just fine after calling org-id-update-id-
> location in all files. However, the question remains: what went
> wrong and is this a rare problem? Maybe some copy-paste-artefact?

This is clearly a possibility.

> One other thing: I mentioned on the list a short while ago that we
> need a list of headings with their corresponding links in the HTML
> export to generate online help in QtAssistant format. I might even
> get one of my students to look into it - I assume one could hook
> into some HTML export functions. Could you give us a hint on where
> to look?

   (org-map-entries
    '(list level
           (org-no-properties (org-get-heading 'notags))
           (or (org-entry-get nil "CUSTOM_ID")
               (org-entry-get nil "ID")))
    "LEVEL<=3" 'file)

will return a list of elements, each with level (1-3), heading, and
custom or U identifier that can be used in a link.

I that what you are looking for?

- Carsten

P.S.  Yes, the mapping API is *very* powerful, a pity that
not more people use it.

> Many thanks in advance.
> Warm regards,
> Stefan
>

>> HTH
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

>> On Jul 5, 2009, at 3:09 PM, Stefan Vollmar wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just noticed that there seems to be a problem with org-store-
>>> link (or in that context) with the current development version
>>> (6.28trans).
>>>
>>> I want to insert a link to one section of one org-file into
>>> another org-file, so I change to the file with the section I want
>>> to link to and use org-store-link (that section already has an ID
>>> property; the heading's name is displayed in the minibuffer -
>>> fine). I return to the file where I want to insert the link and
>>> use org-insert-link which offers the id I had just stored.
>>>
>>> (1) However, only the id is inserted and org seems to forget about
>>> the other file's name, "literal hyperlinks" yields:
>>> [[id:2806BA39-087E-4E2E-89E6-6DFA332727D2][some heading]]
>>> When exporting to HTML, the link is rendered to a local link
>>> (here: "#2806BA39...") of the current file rather than "./my-other-
>>> org-file#2806BA39...", which is a problem, of course. Clicking on
>>> the link in org-mode will also not open the file.
>>>
>>> (2) org-insert-link offers a list of ids which have been stored
>>> with the corresponding headings added on the right, using Arrow-Up
>>> and Arrow-Down will show the selected id in the minibuffer. As I
>>> want org to come up with unique ids for sections automatically (it
>>> does), I am usually not interested what ids it actually generates
>>> and I would suggest a different approach with org-insert-link:
>>> have a list of headings instead of a list of ids and show the
>>> selected link's heading, not its id, in the minibuffer, sorry if
>>> this has been discussed before. There may be cases where it is
>>> important to see a link's id in the selection so one could have an
>>> optional mode that adds the ids to the list.
>>>
>>> Warm regards,
>>> Stefan
>>> --
>>> Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
>>> Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung
>>> Gleuelerstr. 50, 50931 Köln, Germany
>>> Tel.: +49-221-4726-213  FAX +49-221-4726-298