* Recurring items don't always show up in timeline
@ 2011-03-14 19:02 Mark S
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark S @ 2011-03-14 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a very simple calendar ORG file set up. A couple of the items have
recurring days set to 90d. Like

  ** Do something periodically <2011-01-15 Sat +90d>

When I activate the agenda timeline, I see the first one of these (in
January) but none of the other scheduled events show up. (I have other
scheduled items to create a calendar that goes out further than the 90
days). If I view this in the regular weekly agenda, using "f" to step
through the weeks, the item does show up.

If I change the setting to +1w, I see several more entries, but not one
for every week. Some weeks are skipped. It seems hit and miss. I haven't
been able to establish the exact pattern, but it appears that I can not
depend on recurring items to show up in the timeline.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a way to make all activities show up
in the timeline?

Thanks,
Mark
--------------------
Emacs 23.2.1
Win XP
Org-mode 7.5

* Re: Bug: Recurring items NEVER show up in timeline unaccompanied
@ 2011-03-23 18:02 Mark S
From: Mark S @ 2011-03-23 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nick,

Lisp tends to bring out my inner dyslexic,  but is it possible to use a
"while" or other construct instead of "mapcar" and then make the "if"
construction inside of the lambda check for the :omitted symbol and return
it as nil? And it would need to break out of the loop as soon as it
encountered a date equal or greater to the present.

Philosophically, the way I think the calendar should work for recurring
events is that they only occur until the last event in the calendar UNLESS
an argument has been given to specify how far out the calendar is to be
drawn OR there is a global end-date / end-range variable.

Mark

From: Mark S @ 2011-03-29 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Carsten et al,

--- On Mon, 3/28/11, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The ideal solution would be that the Timeline view
> > would process dates exactly like the agenda,
> including
> > multiple-files, but display them like the traditional
> > timeline, with ranges of dates omitted.
>This is already possible, by binding the variable
> org-agenda-show-all-dates to nil around the call to make
> the agenda (for examples using the options section of a
> custom agenda command).  So the only missing piece
> for
> your preferred solution is the determination of starting
> dates and end date in  a useful and automatic
> way.  Maybe
> I can take a look some time this week and see ifthere is a simple way to
> replace the time line with
> something better.

Maybe I spoke too soon. I tried the org-agenda-show-all-dates == nil.
Although it worked, without the warning about the month-long gaps it was a
bit hard to navigate. It was easier to navigate a full year of complete
agenda weeks. Its a shame I'm the only one to have noticed how handy the
(L) Timeline feature is ;-) Its output was (is) nice and clean. It was the
first thing I tried when I was looking to set up an appointment several
months down the road. I suppose I could do my own "recurrences" by hand.

Mark

* Re: Bug: Recurring items NEVER show up in timeline unaccompanied
@ 2011-03-29 21:59 Mark S
From: Mark S @ 2011-03-29 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello Carsten et al,

--- On Tue, 3/29/11, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> > --- On Mon, 3/28/11, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
> > Maybe I spoke too soon. I tried the
> org-agenda-show-all-dates == nil. Although it worked,
> without the warning about the month-long gaps it was a bit
> hard to navigate. It was easier to navigate a full year of
> complete agenda weeks. Its a shame I'm the only one to have
> noticed how handy the (L) Timeline feature is ;-) Its output
> was (is) nice and clean. It was the first thing I tried when
> I was looking to set up an appointment several months down
> the road. I suppose I could do my own "recurrences" by
> hand.
>Can you be more specific on what is so handy about the
> timeline format, that you do not get in the agenda?  Is
> it only the notice about the left-out days?  Or other
> things as well?

Yes, the left-out days provide visual relief. However, probably some other
sort of visual break -- for instance at the month boundaries -- would work
as well. Either a space, or a month title. Something to keep the eye from
sliding right past date changes.

I looked at the various agenda-view options, but didn't see any "month"
setting other than to set how many days show up. By month I don't mean a
full-blown grid calendar (though that would be nice!) but the weekly
format with spacers (note or space) whenever the month changed.

And of course, being able to review the whole year from the start. But I
understand I could achieve that with a customized view.

Thanks!
Mark